This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy_T
    i'd say NTSC-UK is more representative of what Edge claims to be i.e. for people who gaming is not just a hobby but a way of life.

since visiting this forum i've been very impressed by the friendliness of the people here and their breadth of knowledge, it's very reassuring and something the Edge forums lacked in comparison.
    Perhaps, but edge is also a (presumably) successful business venture, it's also a magazine, which can be archived. Sadly NTSC-UK, as great as it is (there aren't many places where you can find out about, for example the US GC RGB cable), is a forum on the internet, it doesn't really have a public face, it's basically completely underground.

Comment

Ennit - it's funny how people think NTSC-UK writers get paid for their work - it's gamers giving passionate reviwes for gamers, not the high and mighty garbage Edge spout.

Comment

But that would just be fooling themselves and their readers into thinking everything's okay.
        True, but things aren't exactly bad in the first place. In fact, gaming is probably as exciting now as it ever was, but things appear quite bleak after reading Edge. Things aren't black and white though, Edge sparked my interest in Kung Fu Chaos (while our review sent me abuying), while everywhere else has claimed it to be completely rubbish.

I used to aim my reviews very much in the style of Edge, and it only lead to me getting things wrong - Gunvalkyie being the most obvious example -now I'd much rather work up in a positive way rather than bring down while being negative.

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
          So we'll be seeing these reviews and feature within 2 weeks as well then?
          Tell you what: you start PAYING me to write reviews and articles, and I'll start giving you exact dates when things will appear. Deal?
          Woah. Didn't mean to cause offence, but it appears I managed to highlight my point effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacophanus
            Originally posted by Nikorasu
            Laugh it up.
            I agreed with most of your other comments, but EDGE's industry coverage is verging on pure fiction.

For example, I know almost all the Japanese correspondents that Future uses, and they are all ignorant charlatans. If EDGE is a paragon of industry wide coverage, how can it truly represent the largest market on the planet when all their reporters are utter nincompoops?

The editorial staff aren't that much better either.
            But without any evidence beyond the semi-anecdotal, isn't that bordering on libel. No wait, that is libel.

GamesTM's don't appear to be any better.

Comment

Indeed Saurian, we did have a mission statement prepared a while ago detailing that fact, Ill see if it can be revised and put onsite as I think thats a very important fact so far as the site is concerned. We are NOT paid, the site is non-profit making and funded by ourselves and our affiliation, its all done purely for the love of gaming. Some of the things our writers produce is nothing short of staggering, Im in no doubt whatsoever that many of them could make it as professional journalists should they so desire and be given the opportunity.

Comment

Woah. Didn't mean to cause offence, but it appears I managed to highlight my point effectively.
                Did you f**k.

For a start, which reviews and articles are you on about? Secondly, I didn't give dates/times because I wasn't sure if that was ok with MJ. Our reviews are completed 7-10 days within receipt of the game, barring any problems. Articles may take longer.

Thirdly, I'd wait till you have all the facts before displaying your ignorance so publicly.

Comment

Just thought I'd ask again if anyone knows whats happened to AV Out?

Comment

Did you f**k.

For a start, which reviews and articles are you on about? Secondly, I didn't give dates/times because I wasn't sure if that was ok with MJ. Our reviews are completed 7-10 days within receipt of the game, barring any problems. Articles may take longer.

Thirdly, I'd wait till you have all the facts before displaying your ignorance so publicly.
                    Erm, calm down?

I'm not sure if you're joking or what, but I was being sarcastic. Hence the fact that the first part of my post is entirely contradictory to the second. As in; I didn't make my point effectively because it evoked the wrong response, thereby highlighting my mistake in not getting it across properly...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisp
                      So we'll be seeing these reviews and feature within 2 weeks as well then?
                      Tell you what: you start PAYING me to write reviews and articles, and I'll start giving you exact dates when things will appear. Deal?
                      If by effectively you mean that you completely incorrect point was noticed, then yes. You said that because Tokuda works under strict timelimits we should expect to see more reviews and features in 2 weeks, and it was pointed out to you that Tokuda has another full time job and does the reviews for free in his spare time. So even a single review every now and then could mean more pressure for him than for a large team of people whose only job is to write reviews and features.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisp
                        Just thought I'd ask again if anyone knows whats happened to AV Out?
                        He is on holiday, this was just a one-off.

Comment

I'm not sure if you're joking or what, but I was being sarcastic. Hence the fact that the first part of my post is entirely contradictory to the second. As in; I didn't make my point effectively because it evoked the wrong response, thereby highlighting my mistake in not getting it across properly...
                          As kona took it the same way as me, perhaps it is your method of expression and use of sarcasm that needs to be revised. Can you write down what you actually meant now, then?

Comment

So even a single review every now and then could mean more pressure for him than for a large team of people whose only job is to write reviews and features.
                            Noone here (even me!) does this full time, although I think its developed beyond the hobby website it started out as, everyone who writes also has their own jobs, study, responsibilities and so on, and its really a testament to our writing team that they produce (IMO) consistantly high quality work off their own backs and entirely in their free time. Theres nothing more Id like that to get all us lot together into an office and produce something like Edge magazine, but of course once reality kicks in perhaps its little more than a pipe-dream...

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
                              So even a single review every now and then could mean more pressure for him than for a large team of people whose only job is to write reviews and features.
                              Noone here (even me!) does this full time, although I think its developed beyond the hobby website it started out as, everyone who writes also has their own jobs, study, responsibilities and so on, and its really a testament to our writing team that they produce (IMO) consistantly high quality work off their own backs and entirely in their free time. Theres nothing more Id like that to get all us lot together into an office and produce something like Edge magazine, but of course once reality kicks in perhaps its little more than a pipe-dream...
                              Yes, I know - I was comparing Tokuda to Edge not the rest of ntsc-uk.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
                                Theres nothing more Id like that to get all us lot together into an office and produce something like Edge magazine, but of course once reality kicks in perhaps its little more than a pipe-dream...
                                I have worked on an entirely fan-based production before... namely the Zzap!64 issue #107 from 18 months or so ago. It can be done... even when everyone is all over the world. We had writers in UK, Germany, US, Australia, Malaysia... the editor was here, the art director was in Aussieland, the guy doing the Quark Express layout and design is in Iceland now... all over the shop!

Obviously doing something "up to date" would probably be a bit hard... but there is nothing stopping us from putting SOME sort of output together... maybe a couple of high profile reviews from each modern format, a few articles, a bit of retro, a couple of game guides, some background and history to this site... that sort of thing.

If you want to check out the Zzap!64 issue in question, direct your browser to http://www.zzap64.co.uk and look at the box in the top right corner to download the PDF file. A couple of months later, someone had the bright idea to make a proper printed version of it. 100 were done and sold very fast, and currently another 100 are available but they will soon be gone no doubt.

It would be great if we could get something out there for people to read in their hands...
                                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X