Official gamesTM Issue 21 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to post that!

Did you notice that otaku84 (whom PeteJ is referring to) actually managed to get two letters in this issue of gamestm? There is one in the retro section with some interesting history on Star Soldier and Adventure Island, and one in the normal letters section. Sounds like he has given up on his hopes to rebuild the games industry around arcade games... sounds as if he is pretty fed up at the moment too.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
      Nah I enjoy PacMan Vs too much, and without any Wavebirds a beard like that would cause an awful lot of problems.

By the way, Strider, the letter written in the Retro section pointing out loads of mistakes in your Star Soldier reviews was actually an ex-NTSC-UK writer
      Yeah, we keep in touch quite a lot, he's a really top bloke

Comment

Strider, did you ever think of making those old Arcade Flyers into posters given away each month. I've stuck the outrun one up on my wall this month but it looks a bit feeble at that size.

Comment

Originally posted by jezzace
          Strider, did you ever think of making those old Arcade Flyers into posters given away each month. I've stuck the outrun one up on my wall this month but it looks a bit feeble at that size.
          I think one issue had a double page spread of Street Fighter 2, I'll look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider
            Yeah, we keep in touch quite a lot, he's a really top bloke
            Thanks Darran

Anyway I just heard from someone else that they were both printed, little surprised tbh. Haven't recieved the issue yet due to living on the mainland but am curious to see the editing done on them and replies. (I certainly hope you did some witty editing)
            Otherwise, woohoo! Might have to go out and buy some extra copies, 2 letters in one issue, thats a personal record for me. Cheers for that.

Not so much fed up, just bored and filled with apathy. I find myself going for more passive recreations these days rather than ones that need input like games.

Otherwise Ive been spending the past month unshelving, cataloguing and packing for storage my entire games collection bar the GBA. As well as trying to finish off all my old unfinished titles. 26 systems and triple figure ammount of games are not easy things to individually wrap in clingfilm and newspaper.
            Uni in about 2 months, so need to condense everything I own into a suitcase.

Thanks for the kind words, might pop back here for old times sake once I have the issue, for one last post regarding GamesTM.

Comment

Is that instead of posting on GameFAQs about "Cubewars", John?

Comment

Originally posted by otaku84
                Not so much fed up, just bored and filled with apathy. I find myself going for more passive recreations these days rather than ones that need input like games.
                It's been a quiet year so far, with a paucity of really worthwhile games. I've been doing other things too; buying more DVDs than games recently. I'm sure it will pick up come autumn and new systems though.

Regarding being fed up, I was thinking more of changing your degree course (which made it into the printed letter).

Comment

Good to hear again from you Otaku . Have you seen the Mr Biffo thread on the 'Have Your Say' forum? I know you're a big fan (aren't we all).

Comment

True PC, having read about the ammount of UK devcos going under, the difficulty of getting into the industry, or indeed the way the industry is rapidly changing, and of course how everyone IN the industry laments losing creative control as the corporate Publishers dictate what are viable ideas, it all made me think that I do not want to get into it anymore, hence dropping "games design" or anything art related.
                    Everyone talks about how little freedom they have now, since dev costs are so restrictively high. It all leaves me cold.

Im sure most of you know that I will instead be studying Japanese, building on what I learned already, with my 3rd year actually spent there. Quite ironic actually, gaming got me interested in Japanese language, and while the interest in gaming is waning, the language interest has stayed.

Who knows, maybe Ill be dragged back at a later date.

EDIT:
                    Read the posts dilligently Brats, top interview too.
                    Last edited by Sketcz; 16-07-2004, 11:22.

Comment

There are loads of other reasons to learn Japanese. Being able to watch decent Anime's as they were intended is a good enough reason as any (how envious am I? ).

Comment

My reasons for deciding to take a course in it were many. (culture, world travel and cuisine being a few)
                        I was simply saying that my reason for becoming interested in it to begin with, was gaming.
                        Now theres a good defence: Gaming = increased willingness to learn foreign languages

(dont be envious, its a gruelling course)

Comment

I'd do it if I had the time though.

Comment

That's what they all say. :P

Someone I 'know' - www.faceh.com - just learnt Japanese by simply going over there to teach English to kids and has picked a lot up.

Comment

What I mean is, I would do it i I had some time that I didn't want to spend doing other things like spending time with the family. Between taking my nipper to the park and learning Japanese, there's no contest.

Dodgy subtitles it is then .

Comment

Working...
                              X