No announcement yet.

Games that stand the test of time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chorno trigger is still the amazing game as it was back in it's hayday.

Comment

I was, am, and always shall be, an Amiga fanboy at heart

SWOS, Project X, Alien Breed series, Cannon Fodder, Flashback, Speedball 2, Mega-lo-Mania, and many more my football-addled brain can't recall right now

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle
        Shaolin's Road
        I'm so glad to realize I'm not the only one to love that game
        Indeed, it is the mutt's. There's a nice version on Konami's Japanese 80s Arcade Gallery for PSX btw.

Yie Ar Kung-Fu is another Konami fighting fave of mine. Absolutely amazing back in the day when Karate Champ was probably its main rival. In an instant the fighting genre jumped from 'stand and fight using standard moves' to 'leap a hundred feet trying to dodge a barrage of steel-edged fans or length of chain'. Or to put it another way - the genre went from Chuck Norris to Jackie Chan.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by superkully
          Hmmm.. I can only think of Yoshi's Island on SNES. Playing Super Metroid makes me depressed for some reason...
          I know exactly what you mean about Super Metroid. I think it's got something to do with the dark colours and lack of jolly tune in the background. I never got into it - probably because of that factor. For some reason (I appreciate that in general, 1 player gaming isn't exactly sociable anyway) when I played Super Metroid I did feel truly alone. I guess that's a strength of the game. Time to check in to the funny farm again!

Comment

Gunstar Heroes
            Sonic (2d versions)
            Rocket Knight Adventures
            Mickey and Donald World of Illusion
            Streets of Rage 1/2/3
            Shinobi 3
            Super Mario Kart
            Street Fighter 2

Comment

For me its gotta be the two Shining Force games on megadrive, the best games i have ever played. They are truly amazing

Comment

Perfect Dark" is forever.

Never have 4 words been more true. The very best FPS to date.

Comment

Classics imo and still top ent. :

Donkey Kong Jr. - AC
                  Metal Gear - NES
                  Jail Break - AC
                  Lady Bug - Colecovision
                  Commando - AC
                  Pac Man - Various
                  Out Run - DC
                  Puzzle Bobble - AC
                  Time Pilot - AC
                  Gun Smoke - AC

Comment

I can still find most old games visually appealing. I find games that pushed the most out of the hardware age astonishingly well.

I often look at Robotron and think how I couldn't possibly improve on what Vid Kidz managed. It's wonderfully trippy and abstract to make up for the tiny characters. You're just overcome with speed and colour.

Same for something like Gunstar Heroes. The Mega Drive has such a nasty colour palette things should look horrible but Treasure play to the sheer brute force of the system by filling the screen with enemies and explosions so you never have time to notice the colour clash.

Comment

Hmmm, Metal Slug!

Comment

Bomberman - after a 3 player mini session last night, it brought back memories.

Comment

Recently plugged my MD back in and discovered these things:

1) RF connections age terribly
                          2) PAL MD conversions have bigger borders than I remember (especially the dire SF 2:SCE conversion)
                          3) The Sonic games are all still excellent. They look good, and they play well.

Comment

Working...
                          X