Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gran Turismo 4 480p, 1080i options? Check this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bash

Will prolly look better when its moving tbh. . ..
    the car looks real, but the background looks like a ps1 game

Comment

I'm not sure when you would scale it though. To scale it to fit a 1080i picture you need enough RAM to store a frame that size in the first place...

And to scale it and not make it look like a blocky mess you'd need to filter the image using nearest neighbour or bicubic filtering or something like that. That would just use up more processing time on an old system.

The actual 3D rendering part it independant of resolution up until the last stage. It's only when it's written to the framebuffer that pixels become a factor.

Comment

It's not really THAT exciting though is it. Many of us will be used to playing PC games at 1600x1200 with vastly higher resolution textures/geometry and all those pixel shader effects a PS2 game can only dream of.

Impressive, -for a PS2-, but impressive on it's own? No.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko
          Many of us will be used to playing PC games at 1600x1200
          Speak for yourself, Im happy if I can run stuff smoothly @1024x768. Thats is, if theres a game decent enough to play on the PC in the 1st place

Comment

It's not really THAT exciting though is it. Many of us will be used to playing PC games at 1600x1200 with vastly higher resolution textures/geometry and all those pixel shader effects a PS2 game can only dream of.

But from a racing game point of view, nothing on PC looks as good as GT3 or GT4.

Last edited by dc-arena; 28-12-2004, 01:34.

Comment

I've yet to find the PC that costs ?100 (+cost of chip) and lets me play at these resolutions though. Plus a PC won't fit under my TV as easily.

Comment

Aye, you'd probably pay that just for DV output so you can play it on your 42" plasma.

It's an amaazing feat and raises the question as to why more games don't take advantage of high-res modes on offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
                  Aye, you'd probably pay that just for DV output so you can play it on your 42" plasma.

It's an amaazing feat and raises the question as to why more games don't take advantage of high-res modes on offer.
                  It's basically down to memory, lack of. PS2 has plenty of fill rate, much more than Xbox, so filling polygons to that size (assuming you are fairly efficient with your culling to limit overdraw) wouldn't be *too* much trouble.

But memory is a huge problem on PS2, and for games which, for example, use 'stencil' shadows (where you need to render two versions of the scene), or games with heavy texture requirements, such things are completely impossible.

I wonder what the horizontal res of GT4 hi-vision is. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was still 640.

Comment

Originally posted by charlaph
                    I've yet to find the PC that costs ?100 (+cost of chip) and lets me play at these resolutions though. Plus a PC won't fit under my TV as easily.
                    Kind of a silly argument really as a PC is obviously much, much more than a games machine.

And PC's can look rather good under a TV now, this one for example - http://eu.shuttle.com/en/desktopdefa...70_read-10151/ would be pretty nice.

Comment

It needs to be "much much more" as the games that are being released commercially for the PC have no variety whatsoever.

Comment

No variety? WTF?

Anyway, they could do 1080i output if they cut some colours and remember 1080i is interlaced so only needs have the framebuffer space that you think it does. 480p is good enough for me though and I'm happy

Neil.

Comment

btw has anyone pa order shipped?

Comment

Yup. Even dusted off the PS2 and set my wheel up.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilMcRae
                              No variety? WTF?
                              200 first person shooters based around various wars in time isn't variety to me.

Comment

Nothing like oversimplification, is there?

Comment

Working...
                                X