My thoughts on Symphony of the Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SUMIRE
    SOTN is the best castlevania in my opinion, in fact i'd go as far as to say it is the best 2d platformer ever.

I'd love to see a conversion for PSP, It would be almost criminal not to do it.
    agreed! that would be a stunner.

Comment

I haven?t played SOTN, but it?s one of those games that I really would like play. I have been thinking of getting the japanese version since the price for the PAL release is a little steep for me. Is there a lot of dialogue/text in japanese?

Comment

It's definitely playable in Japanese but you might miss out on a few things

Comment

The first time I played it I played the Saturn version and really enjoyed it. The japanese might even make it more enjoyable since not being able to read all the item descriptions makes the game a little harder, which is good since it's way too easy.

On the downside, you will miss out on the worst dub in the history of videogames .

Comment

The voice cast is ace in the Japanese version. Some very well known anime voice actors in there.

Comment

Originally posted by kingmobster
              I have been thinking of getting the japanese version since the price for the PAL release is a little steep for me.
              I'd recommend getting a US release version - they should be dirt cheap if you know anyone out there who can grab one from a bargain bin. EBay seems quite pricey, though, as it's full of Europeans trying to get it.

Comment

SOTN is IMO the most overated game in history. Constantly treading back and forth across the castle made it dull as dishwater. Much prefer straitforward point A to point B stuff like PC Engine or SNES versions.

Comment

I did originally buy this game years ago and i sold it.I really regretted selling it especially since it came with a audio CD

Comment

SOTN is a great game but I still prefer Super Castlevania IV, every CV from SOTN onwards has just been Metroid in different clothing & although there's nothing particularly wrong with that, to me it just isn't "proper" Castlevania. Having said that though I can't wait for the DS version.

Also Castlevania IV has the best soundtrack in the series by far

Comment

Originally posted by mid
                      I'd recommend getting a US release version - they should be dirt cheap if you know anyone out there who can grab one from a bargain bin. EBay seems quite pricey, though, as it's full of Europeans trying to get it.
                      I have two PS2s, one PAL and one NTSC-J, but unfortunately no option to play US releases. Too bad, since they can be found cheap all over the place. Unless you look for them on eBay

Comment

Originally posted by Nisa

It's very good, but I think Chi no Rondo on the PC Engine just pips it. Some really spectacular tunes in that one.

I bought a few Castlevania soundtrack CDs from eBay a while back. All of which are great and I would recommend.

Akumajou Dracula Best Of (2 Discs) - Castlevania 1 (NES), 2 (NES), 3 (NES), 4 (SNES)

Akumajou Dracula X (2 Discs) - Vampire Killer (MD), Chi no Rondo (PCE)

Castlevania Chronicle (2 Discs) - Castlevania Chronicles (X68000 & PSX)

Comment

Am debating getting this as I do like a spot of Castlevania.

Copy of this went for about ?150 ish at the weekend on e-bay.

I could get ALOT of other games for that money though....

Comment

Originally posted by krispyk
                            Am debating getting this as I do like a spot of Castlevania.

Copy of this went for about ?150 ish at the weekend on e-bay.

I could get ALOT of other games for that money though....
                            Wow, I know it was going for a lot, but ?150? Saw one go for 1/3 that price when I was trying to get it. It's a shame, because I hear the PAL version is a pretty bad conversion. (like you'd get on SNES)

I ended up just getting the US Greatest Hits new & sealed for ?20. It's nice having an original / limited edition copy, but I'm more interested in playing the game. If you can play that, I'd recommend you go for it, they're not too hard to find. I believe the person I bought it from has another one up on Videogame Auctions right now. (don't think I'm allowed to link there)

As for the game, I love it. When I got it a month or so back, it went straight into my top 10 games, it hasn't stood the test of time as well as Super Metroid, but I probably enjoyed it more the first two or three times through.
                            Last edited by andrewfee; 26-07-2005, 21:23.

Comment

Why is this not in Retro?

Comment

Originally posted by Nisa
                                SOTN is a great game but I still prefer Super Castlevania IV, every CV from SOTN onwards has just been Metroid in different clothing & although there's nothing particularly wrong with that, to me it just isn't "proper" Castlevania. Having said that though I can't wait for the DS version.

Couldn't agree more on all points including the music.

Comment

Working...
                                X