The beautiful games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The beautiful games

Before we dive head first into the next gen.I thought we would take some time to reflect on those games that still impress you whenever you load them up.In the past week or so i've seen quite a few that have still managed to raise my eyebrow's.I'll kick this off.

Panzer Dragoon Orta: Man oh man,does this still look fantastic.The color's are vibrant and everything seems oh so clear.But it's the art in this game that still manages to floor me.Smilebit at their very best IMO.Take the first stage for example,rain crashing down,streaks of lightning,particle effects up the wazoo,endless enemies coming at you and being able to see the tiny people running around on the ground as you swoop over them.Awesome!

Dead Or Alive 3: Ok while not as visually impressive as DOAU,it still has that team ninja quality and because of this it still retains it's outstanding visuals even after 4 years.It looks better than the majority of recent xbox titles.Great work TN.

Halo: WOW! It's shocking how good this still looks.Extremely solid looking and those lighting effects are still very,very impressive.Mostly evident at the beginning of the silent cartographer.Also i just prefer the physics engine in this compared to the sequel.I really can't decide if this looks better than Halo 2 or not.There's something about halo

Shenmue 1&2: They allways will be fantastic looking IMO.Sure some of the texture is starting to show it's age,but the overall scope still remain's.To this day,they look brilliant.

Soul Calibur: What can you say? Way,way ahead of it's time and still looking good after all these years.Namco delivered big time with this.

Well i'm gonna start digging around my collection to see what other diamonds are around.What games still impress you lot?
    Last edited by Akira; 05-10-2005, 01:28.

OutRun 2 is very pretty. In fact, I suspect, this one will age very well; get back to me in 2015 for confirmation.

Maan, there's a bit of a heavy Xbox slant in this thread.

So... I'll also go for Gradius V and Resident Evil 4 (even if the latter is a bit brown earlier on, it sure do look mighty purdy).

I don't want to sound like too much of an import snob, but the animation in Dog Of Bay is extremely impressive.
    Last edited by Il Postino; 05-10-2005, 01:13.

Comment

Probably a similar topic already, but I'll bite...

Paper Mario RPG

Technically-speaking, it's not that impressive for a GC game, but the graphical style is superb and full of character.

Zelda: The Wind Waker

Ditto. Disappointed they've ditched this look for the new game tbh. Four Swords also looks great.

F-Zero GX

Another GC game. (I feel a lot of visually-memorable games have been on the GameCube). GX is just stunning in every department.

ANUBIS Zone Of The Enders

The game is a bit dodgy, but just look at it. Wicked anime cutscenes too.

That's me done for now.

Comment

i totally agree on WW.Most of my friends refuse to play the game due it's 'kiddy' look.IMO it's one of the most beautiful games i've ever played.Animated film quality visuals tbfh.

Comment

Zelda: The Wind Waker
          bored the sh*t out of me, all that sailing wank and so forth, (obvious comment alert ahoy!), but it did look absolutely stunning.
          Last edited by Il Postino; 06-10-2005, 11:26.

Comment

Outrun2 SP: Every pixel in this game is beautiful!

F-ZERO GX: An inspired futuristic dream!

REZ:
            A totally hypnotic wonderful world!

Super Monkey Ball:
            Such a charming exuberant creation!

Ferrari F355:
            Oozing style and beauty!

Jet Set Radio:
            A cool exciting cartoon city in your television!

Just a few off the top of my head. There are lots of gorgeous looking games, and great gaming moments, but not many titles that are consistently beautiful throughout!
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 05-10-2005, 05:40.

Comment

Test Drive: Le Mans on the DC.

20+ cars on screen, glowing brake discs, the most incredible vapour trails while following cars in damp weather at speed, night into day into night effects that were achingly beautiful, rain variations like you wouldn't believe, from light spitting to torrential, flaming exhausts and one of the best road textures ever. Screenshots don't do it justice. Haven't tried, but heard it was plop on the PS2.
              Attached Files

Comment

The backdrops are rather good in DOAXBV. I really ought to play that again as it is a fairly relaxing game, though the actual volleyball can get a little intense.

Yes, the PS2 Le Mans was nowhere near as good as the DC version.

Comment

Jet set radio, Zelda the wind waker, halo, and chronicles or riddick do it for me.

Comment

Always thought dark cloud 2 was quite beautiful

Of course there are games that are not really beautiful but have some outstanding moments

like for example twisted metal black not the greatest looking game ever but i was amazed at the prison ship level the sense of scale

Comment

Baten Kaitos, especially the island with the purple clouds.

Comment

No discussion on timeless beauty is complete without a mention of this gem:

And it's probably too early to say, but I can't imagine this game ever looking bad:

And of course, Mario 64, which still looks vibrant aand lovely:

Comment

Killer instinct a beautiful game really stood out at the arcades

Comment

I thought there were some impressive areas in FF X-2

Comment

A couple that I think are lush...

Metroid Prime -

Gradius V -

Comment

Working...
                              X