Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gizmondo - The best handheld we have seen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gizmondo - The best handheld we have seen?

Now the dust has settled and things have moved on for Gizmondo i was just wondering what you guys thought.

Like you, as soon as they said they were anti home brew i didn't pay much attention, however i always had a slight interest.

At the begining of April i took the plunge ?28 for the console from HMV (got a mates staff discount) and have to say its one of the best designed handhelds the gaming world has ever seen.

The graphical ability is wowing in some areas and this was just a slight scratch at what the machine could do. If you look at games like Chicane, Carmageddon, and Jump they are amazing (as good as if not better than the PSP).

I just can't believe that this handheld managed to go under the radar.

Now the company has gone under the console has bene cracked and we are enjoying home brew emus, theres a very nice SNES emu a fully working NES emu and Mega Drive emu, as well as ones for PCE and game Gear/Master system.

With the right people at the helm i am sure this console could have done the business, while maybe not challenging Sony or Nintendo still establishing its self in the market.

I would fully reccomend picking one up, just for the home brew and the few fantastic retails games that are out there

Trailblazer
    Sticky Balls
    Hit and Myth
    Chicane

All this and it can function as a GPS/sat nav system as well as an MP3/MP4 player, texting and emailing.

Would you have paid 250 quid (or whatever it was) for it?

Comment

Gizmondo PLANT!!

Stefan Eriksson has broke out of prison and posted on ntsc-uk!

Comment

you made nintendo cry

Either way yeah the console had potential shame really it was marketed so badly, horribly branded, got nearly zero support, and was incompetantly managed.

Comment

To be honest i hardly noticed it

Comment

Is anywhere doing them cheap? Still seems expensive for me considering.

Comment

Originally posted by r3z
              Would you have paid 250 quid (or whatever it was) for it?
              Eaxctly - I think 230 pounds was the full retail price in Gamestation when I saw it launched with a whole two games.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09
                Is anywhere doing them cheap? Still seems expensive for me considering.
                I'll certainly pick one up in the coming weeks, few on ebay at moment, would like to get a cheap brand new one off the high street/internet shop though.

Gizmondo were bit over-optimistic when registering gizmondo.com, registered it for a whole ten years

Record expires on 07-Apr-2014.
                Record created on 07-Apr-2004.

Comment

i'd quite happily play Angelfish again...

Comment

A console is only as good as its games, although you got a real bargain at ?30 surely the actual asking price versus what software there was makes this nowhere near the best handheld... not to mention its aesthetically fugly, sorry. Might be worth a look for the price you paid though.

Comment

I would not have paid ?230 it was never priced at that it was ?129.99 for ?230 you got a load of extras and games.

Had i known then about the console ect i would have paid ?130 yes

AngelX i don't agree 1 bit. There is at least 3 must own games and a few that are very playable.

Add all the functions like MP3/4 camera/GPS/Satnav ect then its a real bargain.

David - Comet are doing the console with satnav software and a memory card for ?99.99 (satnav software sells for ?70+ on ebay).
                      Last edited by The Mole; 09-05-2006, 16:27.

Comment

I always pronouced Gizmondo the same way you would pronouce Gin, Jizzmondo! I stupidly passed one up at HMV a while ago for like ?30 or something, wished Id got it now just for the sat/nav

Comment

i thought the sat/nav is extra? it seems that way on dixons site unless i'm reading it wrong.

any progress with homebrew? it's more powerful than the gp2x innit, and the dpad/buttons are great. just needs streets of rage (yeah i know gp2x and psp do it but i want it 60fps with sound thankyoumuch) and i'd snap one up in a shot, whatever the price

Comment

reminded me a bit of this beast

the amstrad gx4000

did anyone else have the misfortune of owning one of these?

my old dear bought me one for christmas when i was about 8 or 9 and i'd pretty much been hinting that i wanted a snes for months, saw a huge box under the christmas tree and nearly pissed myself with excitement.. until i opened the box that is.

there was only one game as far as i could make out, 'burning rubber', which looked like this

possibly the worst game i've ever played

there were apparently more according to google, but at the time i couldn't find a single place that sold any others

Comment

ALAN SUGAR SAYS "**** OFF"

Comment

Working...
                              X