No announcement yet.

"Uh-oh...." moments in games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That trenchcoated Tyrant in RE2 was creepy as hell and a great advert for how effective suggestion can be over just loading up a monster with claws and spikes. Pretty much all he was (until the end) was a tall, pale, bald guy in a trenchcoat who walked slowly after you and he was scarier than any screaming, running monster with massive claws that chases you around a lab.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
      Thought the nemesis was quite effective in resi evil 3
      Nemessis scared the **** out of me and my buddy.

My last uh-oh moment was the roof-top chase in Beyond Good & Evil. Another confirmation for me on the awesome quality of the game.

Comment

OMG - the harshest one ever for me was on the later levels of Lucasfilm's amazing Rescue on Fractalus!, when you could no longer tell if the approaching pilot was friendly or a Jaggi by the colour of his helmet (giggle).

Jesus, the first time (Christmas morning 1985) one of those alien bastards leapt up at my windscreen I actually leapt out of my seat yelping and me Mam came in the room to find out what was wrong with me. Sweet memories of the days before spoilers!

So yes, after that, it was a big 'uh oh...' pretty much every time I set my ship down...

Comment

I almost forgot about this one.... my first encounter with the Cyber Demon in Doom (ps1)..... I was in that big round room, I heard him walking around, I just couldn't see what the hell was making that noice.... and then all in a sudden a big rocket came flying by !! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT !! .... well THAT was the Cyber Demon..

excellent stuff ..

Comment

yeah uh... pretty much every second you're playing REmake is uh-oh

and of course... every time you step into an incredibly large area in metroid prime 1/2, because you know some gigantic **** is coming

Comment

Hierophants entrance in hotd 2

Comment

That giant ampihibian/salamander thing when you go across the lake in resi evil 4

If you saw the small cutscene beforehand you just knew it was going to appear when you were going across the lake.

Comment

The end of Manhunt. Being chased by a madman in a dread-filled game of hide and seek.

Comment

I know that the game sometimes gets a bit of criticism, but I always thought the lift sequence on the first level of Unreal 2 was really good. The lift slowly going upwards, then suddenly stopping. You look up and one by one the lights above in the lift shaft are going out, until you're in total darkness. Then a loud thud as something big lands on top of your lift car, starts growling and cutting the cables! Damn good the first time I played that

Comment

When the radio begins to crackle in Silent Hill, as well as walking down that first alleyway.

Stupidly, the piano in the ghost house in Mario 64. It made me jump out of my skin the first time I went near it.

Comment

Originally posted by redzoo
                        Stupidly, the piano in the ghost house in Mario 64. It made me jump out of my skin the first time I went near it.
                        Come to think of it when the lights go out on the roof in Luigi's Mansion that made me jump .

Comment

Better still if you shot the water before getting on the boat.........

Originally posted by eastyy
                          That giant ampihibian/salamander thing when you go across the lake in resi evil 4

If you saw the small cutscene beforehand you just knew it was going to appear when you were going across the lake.

Comment

Any time you hear a bell ring in Genma Onimusha. When I hear that ringing or the giggling that follows, I'd just leg it pronto.
                            And you never knew where that bloody doll would pop up either, so you'd often dread wandering into the next room.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
                              The end of Manhunt. Being chased by a madman in a dread-filled game of hide and seek.
                              That sounds ace!!

Originally posted by redzoo
                              I'd forgotten about that bit! It gets me everytime.

DONG DONG DONG DONG!!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows
                                That sounds ace!!
                                It's edge of the seat stuff when you're getting chased all over the show by a nutjob with a chainsaw, with only a few stakes of wood to be used as a weapon in return.

Comment

Working...
                                X