Edge Top 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect Dark blows it out the water.

But yeah, Goldeneye running on my projector through RF/composite gives the game a grainy, Silent Hill style 35mm look which is absolutely astonishing in motion.

Also, having to stop still to aim perfectly... not even Robocop can run and aim like a marksman at the same time. It's how long you spend in the R-Button phase that makes the difference between pro and ho.

Next time you're all outside (and preferably alone) just try running and imagine you're aiming at someone for a headshot, it's impossible.

Running and jumping with a zoomed-out sniper rifle takes the piss somewhat.

Certain sections in Perfect Dark required the double-crouch (lying down) for dead aim.
    Last edited by dataDave; 06-07-2007, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryo Saeba View Post
      What's the big difference you're speaking of? If you used the analogue stick to control your aim and the digital pad to control your movement than there's no big loss. You can even play Halo that way, if you just use the digital pad instead of the second stick.
      And the possibility to play Goldeneye with two pads is there, if it limits the multiplayer or not.
      Bit wierd that you ask this when you go onto admit....

That's true, the default scheme encourages such behaviour,
      The default controls are restrictive. Losing analogue movement to both the strafe and upwards/downwards movement makes a big difference and it requires the use of the R-button. yes you can play with dual controllers (as I think the player in that video is) but 1 vs 1 death match is not much fun in Goldeneye. Lack of jumping and the ability to drop from heights makes a difference too.

On the other side, I wouldn't criticise the game for a "lack of verticality", could you give examples?
      I just mean that most of the levels lack any kind of height beyond one level above another. There's nothing of the kind of verticality of maps like say Phobos or Face from Unreal Tournament, which means the game does play on an almost flat plane. Maps like those I've mentioned would be a nightmare with the Goldeneye engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Brats View Post
        Maps like those I've mentioned would be a nightmare with the Goldeneye engine.
        Yeah but they're not though - try playing through the Carrington Villa, another genious piece of level design.

On Perfect/00 Agent modes you NEED to learn the enemy walk patterns and where they all are, then you can be all aimed-up and ready before you even turn the corner.

Even the very first enemy has me shooting down through the top of his head each play.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryo Saeba View Post
          Which all doesn't matter as much as the actual gameplay, so even if Code Veronica's setting, characters and story were all ten times better, Resident Evil 4 could still be the better game.
          Atmosphere is one of the main reasons I love gaming, it puts me in a new world that I believe I'm in.

That's why, even through I love Resi 4, Resident Evil 2 is one of my favourite games ever made and above Resi 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
            That's why, even through I love Resi 4, Resident Evil 2 is one of my favourite games ever made and above Resi 4.
            Resident Evil 2 is one of my favourite game ever, too. And in terms of atmosphere, story and characterisation, I rate Resident Evil 2 above Resident Evil 4.

In terms of action, however, Resident Evil 4 obviously wins hands down.

Comment

The default controls are restrictive. Losing analogue movement to both the strafe and upwards/downwards movement makes a big difference and it requires the use of the R-button. yes you can play with dual controllers (as I think the player in that video is) but 1 vs 1 death match is not much fun in Goldeneye. Lack of jumping and the ability to drop from heights makes a difference too.
              If you play Goldeneye with the R button, than, without sounding like an elitist, you aren't playing it properly. It just takes practice to play like the fella in that video (which wasn't that impressive at all ). Really if you want to unlock all the cheats or get decent times you don't use the R button at all. You have the auto-aim of course if you have it set, but you can still aim for head shots without using the r button, and you can't rely on the r button to take out the guns and cameras if, once again, you're going for good times. As I said, don't mean to sound like an elitist, but this is one of the few games, or the only game, which I can say I came close to 'mastering'. Me and my brother put in rediculous hours, him especially, entering a few competitions and having top scores in some - and neither of us used two controllers or the R button (much anyway)!

Not that i'm debating your opinion on the fact that the games control system is dated, which it is, just the fact that the player in the video was using two controllers which I can't imagine he was. I guess one of the differences with Goldeneye and more modern shooters is you learn the stages better, nothing changes, the enemies will be in the same places and respond in the same way. You learn where every camera is, where to stand to take it out, and how high to aim to hit it in its blind spot - you can the gist. Its just like rote learning, but its great when you get good and can just breeze through a stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Champloo View Post
                If you play Goldeneye with the R button, than, without sounding like an elitist, you aren't playing it properly.
                Without sounding like an elitist????

I completely disagree with that. I accept that if you are a pro-player, you might be able to ignore the R button, but that's not playing it 'properly' compared to everyone else. The instruction manual even shows you to use the R-button.

There are people who can play DDR without even looking at the screen, but it doesn't mean that anyone who does is not palying the game 'properly'.

Comment

Let me say I absolutely hammered EVERY secret out of this game and I used the "R" button all the way - it can be done

Comment

Without sounding like an elitist, I was actually going to buy this top 100 but, instead of a good selection of screenshots, they chose to put arty images filling up every second page. What a waste. Could have been a nice archive piece.

Does that make me a graphics whore?

Comment

I think it just means you're a bit weird. I was very disappointed with the art special because it had very little text and was almost entirely concept art. There is more than enough text in this one, for me.

I'm quite pleased that RE4 got such a high ranking, despite it's score of 9. The mag implies that the final distribution was decided by the magazine staff - presumably the votes made a bit of a difference - surely EDGE would want to pat themselves on the back for their review scores?

Comment

Originally posted by Brats View Post
                        Without sounding like an elitist????

I completely disagree with that. I accept that if you are a pro-player, you might be able to ignore the R button, but that's not playing it 'properly' compared to everyone else. The instruction manual even shows you to use the R-button.

There are people who can play DDR without even looking at the screen, but it doesn't mean that anyone who does is not palying the game 'properly'.
                        Ah, fair enough you win, but you're putting a different spin on what I was saying (not saying very clearly I guess). As I said later in the same post, if you want to get the good times, or make the game more enjoyable in my opinion, than you play without the R button. So I should have said if you're playing with the R button than you aren't playing well, although I guess Yoshimax's post would say the opposite.

Edit: Yoshimax, when you say you used the R button and hammered this game, you don't mean you sat there and scopped out the enemies with the R button yet still managed to get the times to get invicibility, invisibility and the other tough cheats?

I hate talking about games like this, I come of as an ass and get over-cocky. With new FPS's i'm generally rubbish though - there's too many of them and I never take the time to get to a stage where I can play anywhere near decent.
                        Last edited by Champloo; 06-07-2007, 17:54.

Comment

Without sounding like an elitist, I was actually going to buy this top 100 but, instead of a good selection of screenshots, they chose to put arty images filling up every second page. What a waste. Could have been a nice archive piece.

Does that make me a graphics whore?
                          Should have bought the Art one they brought out a couple of months ago

Comment

I didn't see an art one at all. Not sure how I missed that. Was it good?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              I didn't see an art one at all. Not sure how I missed that. Was it good?

i thought it was crap but am so far in having every copy of edge and all the specials I had to buy it.

as has been said it was all concept art and no real insights.

love this top 100 though, well worth the money.

Comment

There's another planned right? (video game art)
                                At 8 quid it was a rip off. Meh.

Comment

Working...
                                X