Edge Top 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brats View Post
    The default controls are restrictive. Losing analogue movement to both the strafe and upwards/downwards movement makes a big difference and it requires the use of the R-button. yes you can play with dual controllers (as I think the player in that video is) but 1 vs 1 death match is not much fun in Goldeneye. Lack of jumping and the ability to drop from heights makes a difference too.
    That the default controls are restrictive is irrelevant.. you could point that at 99% of all FPS games, cause you nearly always have to reassign buttons or turn up the aim sensitivity.
    Losing analogue movement to strafing doesn't make a difference, most PC FPS games offer digital movement and they're doing fine, plus you can map your analogue stick to aim (left/right and up/down) with it. Even reviews at that time recommened to use the "Turok-scheme".

And regarding multiplayer, that's just not true, it's possible to play 4-player multiplayer where everyone is able to control their aim with an analogue stick.

I just mean that most of the levels lack any kind of height beyond one level above another. There's nothing of the kind of verticality of maps like say Phobos or Face from Unreal Tournament, which means the game does play on an almost flat plane. Maps like those I've mentioned would be a nightmare with the Goldeneye engine.
    I think I get what you mean.
    I think, Goldeneye wouldn't gain anything significant through the inclusion of a jump-button, but that does seem restrictive to anyone used to strafe-jumping and stuff.

Originally posted by Yoshimax
    Let me say I absolutely hammered EVERY secret out of this game and I used the "R" button all the way - it can be done
    And it can be done without it ^_-
    and you won't win any speedrun with it.. but yeah, that isn't the point.

I don't know .. it depends I guess.. I remember having a hard time, especially in multiplayer, when using the R-button too often. It may kind of work in many situations against the AI, but against a human opponent, standing in one place for too long wasn't that healthy.
    The R-thing worked like a charm at the beginning to get me into the game, but after some time I found keeping its use to an absolute minimum worked best for me.
    I could play more effectively and it really felt like "mastering the game", even if it may not have been intened by the developers.

Originally posted by Wools
    Atmosphere is one of the main reasons I love gaming, it puts me in a new world that I believe I'm in.

That's why, even through I love Resi 4, Resident Evil 2 is one of my favourite games ever made and above Resi 4.
    I'm with you in that I also think atmosphere is very important, but for me the way in which I interact with a videogame is at least as important as the audiovisual or story component, regarding immersion.

BTW: I'm wondering on which positions some of the games would've stood, that have been ruled out by their "only one game per series restriction" (for example Final Fantasy VI or VII).
    Last edited by Ryo Saeba; 06-07-2007, 19:09.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
      i thought it was crap but am so far in having every copy of edge and all the specials I had to buy it.

as has been said it was all concept art and no real insights.

love this top 100 though, well worth the money.
      Sometimes I read your posts and wonder if I make them in some kind of Jekyll/Hyde moment - no joke

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
        Atmosphere is one of the main reasons I love gaming, it puts me in a new world that I believe I'm in.

That's why, even through I love Resi 4, Resident Evil 2 is one of my favourite games ever made and above Resi 4.
        I'm with you on that. We all play games for our own reasons of course, and get something different out of games, but that's definately become the main reason I continue to play. And old Resi fits that bill perfectly.

Comment

Am I the only one who was wondering where the hell Sonic CD or Sonic 2 was? Infact not a single bloody Sonic game, nor Streets of Rage!

Comment

Originally posted by SegaMark View Post
            Am I the only one who was wondering where the hell Sonic CD or Sonic 2 was? Infact not a single bloody Sonic game, nor Streets of Rage!
            Well I did wonder where S3&K was :P But certainly the lack of Sonic is rather silly. No SoR too - didn't notice that until now. SoR2 stands up today more than almost any other game from the era.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
              I'm with you on that. We all play games for our own reasons of course, and get something different out of games, but that's definately become the main reason I continue to play. And old Resi fits that bill perfectly.
              Excatly, that's what is so brilliant about gaming.

You can play to be competitive, to interact socially, feed addictive natures, become immersased in a atmosphere, experiance adrenaline and a host of other reasons.

That's one of the reasons I get so grumpy when gits on here start an elitist rant about FPS, Hardware or pushing their biased view on my passtime.

We're all (Mostly) gamers, that's why we should play more and moan less.

Comment

Originally posted by SegaMark View Post
                Am I the only one who was wondering where the hell Sonic CD or Sonic 2 was? Infact not a single bloody Sonic game...
                No, you were'nt.

It's only Edge's opinion I know, but Sonic 2 and Knuckles are some if not the best examples of 2D Platforming.

It's entire exclusion is a bit baffaling.

Comment

It's funny how all the old Sega kids (there were a lot more Sega people than Nintendo people around here) at my school stopped playing games at about 15, before moving over onto PS1 dross at the time (I absolutely hated the PS1 for the first year or two until the good stuff started coming out).

I put it down to them being trend followers rather than gamesplayers. Especially evident during the whole MK vs. SF era. I'm afraid most of the old Sega boys threw their rose tinted specs away long ago, hence Sonic (and many other games) being totally forgotten about in the general mainstream.

We all know Nintendo people like to keep hold of their specs though. ;p

Comment

Originally posted by Hungrystu View Post
                    Absolutely, the chainsaw guys and the regenerators scared the utter bejesus outta me!
                    As someone whose never found past Resi games scary (or enjoyable, for that matter), I must agree with you about the Regenerators in Resi 4.

I remember seeing the bloated form of a Regenerator slowly lumbering towards me down the corridor, I aimed my sniper for a shot only for it to grab me from a distance and impale me on its body!

Having dealt with it, I ran down the corridor and straight into the path of another! :O

Goddamn those things!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryo Saeba View Post
                      BTW: I'm wondering on which positions some of the games would've stood, that have been ruled out by their "only one game per series restriction" (for example Final Fantasy VI or VII).
                      FF VII charted at
                      in this latest Top 100.

Comment

I've read almost the entire book over the weekend, I recommend picking it up.

You could agrue that certain games shouldn't be as high as they are, you could even argue that they've picked the wrong game from certain franchises, but they always justify it and never dwell on the negatives. In fact, in many instances they admit that you could quite easily swap one game for another in the franchise, such as Tony Hawks or R-Type.

But none of that matters, its less about the order and more about celebrating gamings finest, and for that purpose the book does a very good job indeed. It's the best thing Edge have produced in years.

Comment

Yeah, having read a lot more of it I agree with that. The order isn't really important.

Comment

I knew Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time would be in the top 10, but Zelda: Ocarina of Time, best game ever...its a good game, but fu*k man, not the best game ever made.

Comment

Slightly off topic but I can't find a single bloody copy of this anywhere near me and I'm in central London.

Anyone care to suggest somewhere that has 'em...? Or alternatively would anyone be kind enough to pick one up and post it to me, I'll happily reimburse the kind soul...?

Send me a pm if yr up for it...

Comment

I really like the fact they limited the number of games from a single series. I would also say that I agree with the ones they picked out.

I've always thought that Vice City was far superior to number III. It had so many added features and had twice the sense of humour, music, etc.

Burnout 2, also deservedly takes a place ahead of Takedown. The takedowns completely derailed the series and ruined the purity of the experience. It could have been incorporated without making it the only reliable way of winning races.

One slight disappointment was that there was only a single appearance from the point-and-click sub-genre. Whilst I would put MI in the top two (if not as number one) of the genre, the list is crying out for the original Broken Sword - one of the more serious contenders.

Comment

Working...
                                X