Should I sell my Wii for a PS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I sell my Wii for a PS3?

As per subject, since my Wii was amongst the various games-related items that some b$?$"%d nicked from my house a couple of weeks ago, I am awaiting replacement of it but have been toying with the idea of selling up the Wii plus games & accessories to get a PS3 instead.

Should I?

Partially, this is because of bad luck (Wii #1 was DOA on launch day and took weeks to get replaced, #2 has been passed on via a pub or Cash Converters, no doubt, and is taking weeks to get replaced, so I think someone is trying to tell me something ). Partially, it's because I'm a bit 'meh' with the Wii software line-up so far. Partially, it's because I saw the LittleBigPlanet walkthough and, although it's just a very pretty platform game, it has just enamoured me totally more than anything else I saw on PS3 so far.

But having not been keeping a close eye on the release schedules recently, I really don't know what stuff is coming out on either platform in the next 3-12 months.

Any thoughts? (not being a fanboy of any platform, I'm not especially tied to either and will happily go where the promising software lies).

Sell your Wii now while it's worth the launch price, then wait before getting another console.

Comment

I recently got myself a PS3 and sold my Wii (Not directly related by the way) and am delighted that I did. The difference it makes having the powerful PS23 sitting there compared to the Wii is ridiculous. My Wii was gathering dust and I hardly touched it for about 2 months before selling it. howver the PS3 now sits proudly along side my 360 and has been used nearly every day since I got it. I got Motorstorm and Resistance with it and they have been great for showing what the machine is capabale of, especially Resistance, which blew me away with some of its set pieces. And with ninja Gaiden Sigma getting picked up tomorrow it really has delivered in the first month I have owned it. Unlike the Wii I dont ever see the PS3 sitting there doing nothing for months so I would def go for it mate if you manage the stretch in price. Plus the output qualtiy of DVDs and of course Blu ray movies is amazing. Then you have the PSN, which is really good. Tekken 5: DR for £6... nice.

PS3 all the way for me.

Comment

I agree with Profit: sell it.

I'm always of the mind if you're already thinking of selling it then the decision's more or less made.

Comment

If you already have a 360 I'd keep it. If the Wii is your only console then I'd support the PS3 purchase, there's not enough on the Wii in my opinion for it to be an 'only console'.

Comment

I wouldn't mind selling my Wii (and PS2) in order to get a PS3 but the wife would probably go effing postal as she done love the Wii

Comment

I would sell it if I were you mate. If you are not using it then it's just sitting there depreciating all the time. Get yourself a PS3 or 360 if you don't have one.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_sockochris View Post
                If you already have a 360 I'd keep it. If the Wii is your only console then I'd support the PS3 purchase, there's not enough on the Wii in my opinion for it to be an 'only console'.
                Had a 360 but rarely used it (mainly cos the fan noise drove me nuts) so sold it a few months back....

I'd resigned myself after the house break-in to being back to the last gen for a while (via Dreamcast and Gamecube) but turns out my DC will not play discs properly any more (been in the loft for a couple of years) and the 'cube is my wife's and she is very territorial about 'her' electronics gadgetry (and besides, the toe-rags nicked my GC copies of Viewtiful Joe and Beyond Good and Evil anyway ).

So, looking at an 'only console' right enough (not counting my GBA Micro of course).

I do like my Wii, but as I said have had a bit of a run of bad luck with it and more recently had just been firing it up to do the 'Everybody Votes' channel questions. I know we are awaiting Mario Galaxy and Metroid, but not really kept much tabs on forthcoming PS3 stuff at all.

Given the stuff about the nerfed backwards compatibility, will a PAL PS3 play the PS2 version of 'Beyond Good and Evil' OK? (can you tell I like BGE? )

Comment

As others have said, Wii shouldn't really be a gamers "only" console at the moment, there just isn't the software about.

Ideally I would own a 360/PS3 first, Wii Second.

The PS3 will get better for software in the next 12 months, and there are enough games on it now to justify a purchase.

(I own a PS3 and a 360, so no Fanboyism here!)

It's a shame you will sell though, as when Prime 3 and Mario come out, you'll need to buy it again!

Maybe a 360 and keep the wii would be a better option?

Comment

Noticed today that yesasia are doing the 60gb Minna no Golf package for £318.

Have both!
                    Last edited by Swallow; 05-07-2007, 14:28. Reason: gb, n00b!

Comment

Yeah, get both if you can afford it. Having all the platforms gives the biggest choice of gaming.

Comment

I'd wait it out until later this year before selling. At least until after E3 so the known quantities have been covered hands-on more extensively, and the new material for each of the three consoles is known.

Personally, given the line-up for this year, I'd choose the 360 over the PS3 as things currently stand. My opinion may have changed after E3 though.

Let's see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                          Yeah, get both if you can afford it. Having all the platforms gives the biggest choice of gaming.
                          I think you have found my dilemma, Charles.... Having a new baby means there's not so much disposable income to splash on multi-platform nirvana like in the old days. And, no, I can't sell her on eBay

I'm not ruling out having one console for the time being, then getting another next year when the prices are inevitably lower though.... just not sure whether to hang on to the Wii as 'primary' platform for the forseeable future (won't consider touching another 360 until it's a cooler/quieter version).

Comment

Ultimately, your decision should be based entirely upon the games YOU want to play. Personally, I think that selling a relatively new console to buy an even newer one with less games and much bigger price tag is just throwing away money (especially with the 360 out there which is arguably better catered for in terms of software), but again it's all about what you want to play.

EDIT: Just saw your above post re: expense.

Comment

I believe the Wii will begin delivering great experiences soon but I understand you questioning hanging on to the thing, I'm pondered selling mine a few times. Like Ady says though, it all depends what games you like and it's possible you'll harvest more joy from a PS3.

Comment

Working...
                              X