Imports - stopped getting them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imports - stopped getting them?

I get the feeling that most people here do not actually import here (anymore).
    Obviously this is meant to be an imports forum but it has moved away from that. I still get mainly imports myself but not as important to me now.

Either:
    When did you stop and why?
    -or-
    Why do you import?

Haven't bought a PAL game in years, never visit Game, Gamestation etc.

I feel people here import far more than me though. Wouldn't say this is a PAL forum at all tbh

Infact don't own a PAL console.

Comment

Fruitless task buying Japanese games.....I dont care about missing some games that dont get released here that are only in japbabble when there's plenty of games in English on PAL.

Still pick up the odd one of course.

Comment

I still import from US and JPN for almost everything, although my only current gen kit is a US 360, so I'm still mostly buying games from last gen when it was essential for GC and PS2. The xbox was the only one that didn't matter much for imports I only got a US 360 cos it was cheap. If I had a PS3, I don't suppose it would matter apart from release dates. HD has hopefully brought about the end of shoddy PAL conversions. Except the Wii scuppered that. Anyone moaning here about the PAL Wii conversions and delays should have known better.

Whereas before, to get the full breadth of gaming at optimum quality, you had to import most things, now, it's only necessary to import some things, due to either release date or non-release, so for many people, it's not worth the bother (although I've never been sure why ordering from play is easier than ordering from vg+ or Play-asia apart from taking a couple of days longer).

Comment

I still import. I'm just not getting as many games as I used to. I'll usually import DS games if they get released elsewhere first. The odd PSP game too.

Then I just have my 360, which is pal, and I only have four games for that and they're all local. Oh I have a US Wii too with the grand total of two games. I'd import RE4 if I could be arsed.

Comment

Mainly US imports for me.
            Haven't bought a thing from Play-Asia for yonks.

I put this down to the high usage the 360 is getting atm, and Lord of the Rings Online. Not enough time and too much quality stuff on our own doorstep has quietened the ol' import beast somewhat.

Still happy to pick up import 'stuff' from the NTSC-UK for sale thread from time to time though.

Comment

I get import PSP, DS and PS2 stuff regularly. I have import PS2, DC, DS and PSP consoles. The PS2 is my paradise for 2D fighters and lovely little niche titles right now, and we all know there is some crazy s*** coming out on the DS and PSP in Japan all the time. I have a PAL 360 and Wii, however - and have found it frustrating that Wii releases have been slow (and I agree with Charles' point above), but not found any probs with the 360 as Blue Dragon and Senko aside, the West have been pretty well served.

Comment

I still import on a fairly regular basis it's just that recently there hasn't been a great deal that I want to play released that I can't get here in PAL land (at the mo it's all DS; Diamond and Pearl, Hotel Dusk, Yoshi Island DS, Elite Beat etc) that I have got by spending the credit note I got from getting shot of my 360.

Mainly I import DS games as they are released so much earlier (or at all) and I prefer the JAP / US cases. I also imported my last 3 out of 4 consoles due to delays in PAL release dates (PS3, DS Lite and PSP. My Wii is PAL and boy am I regretting that decision!). I also import stuff that probably won't see a release here; step forward current favs such as Ouendan and Melty Blood.

I'll continue to import but only for random stuff. The next 2 on my radar are Minna no Golf 5 (no PAL release date and the dub will be nasty) and Arcana Heart (will never get a PAL release)

Comment

The exchange rate is perfect for buying US/JP (region free XBOX360..) games at the moment. I've only occasionally bought UK region games in the last couple of years.

Comment

Maybe its cos the 360 seems to be the most spoken about atm (for many reasons) that it feels like there are not that many importers.

Comment

I still mainly get import stuff, like FFXII (US) & FOTNS (JP), they just come quicker then the pal versions (or not at all) and sometimes a bit cheaper, unless I get taxed!

Comment

Almost 100% of the video games I buy are from America. Occasionally I'll find an old Saturn game from Japan. That includes the Xbox 360 and Wii. Occasionally if I can find a region free 360 game for cheap I will buy it.

Even for the Nintendo DS, I can't justify UK games unless the US release is a long way away. I was all set to buy a copy of Planet Puzzle League from GAME, but even the smallest thing can put me off - the ugly thick European DS boxes with the generic black text on white spine made me think "Nah, I can wait and get a US version for a pound or so less and get a nicer box".

Comment

JPN-only for me. Always has been that way. I don't even like getting USA games unless it deffo cannot be played on JPN. PS1/2/3 occasionally, and of course DS. I buy JPN DS games at an astonishing rate, I'll be at the 100 game mark in say 8 weeks from now. JPN games are generally cheaper too, even with shipping. I just got Mawa****e Touch Panic this morning funnily enough.

I'll never stop buying imports, unless I give up gaming entirely.
                          Last edited by J0e Musashi; 27-07-2007, 10:41.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I'll never stop buying imports, unless I give up gaming entirely.
                            Same for me, only for America, rather than Japan. For me, an English-only speaking gamer with not a huge amount of cash to spend on games, the US market gives me the best compromise between pricing, release dates, and affordability. I am simply not interested in the European market and never will be - shopping for games in this country is depressing.

Comment

I go into GAME and GS and act like a total casual from time to time. I ask for advice on "new releases" that I've owned for 6 months, and then not buy them. It amuses me sometimes.

I do go into GAME and GS to get games for my son though. At 7 he is well aware of my importing, but he doesn't like that he cannot understand certain games so I buy him 99% PAL stuff.
                              I've helped him to become a better reader though gaming without him even realising it, so JPN text is/was a big no-no.
                              We tend to exchange his games after he's done with them so PAL is best for him. He says that his friends at school don't believe him about Japanese games anyway.
                              I'm also trying to steer him away from hardcore game playing too (although he is currently facing "The End" in the JPN version of MGS3:S ) so he will pursue other forms of entertainment, and be a little less bothered about such trivial things as video games as I was. Gaming is a big waste of time, and not very productive. I certainly don't want him to turn out like me in that way.
                              Last edited by J0e Musashi; 27-07-2007, 10:57.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X