No announcement yet.

Imports - stopped getting them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been importing since the SNES days and my perception of PAL is now so tainted that PAL= bad. There have been too many problems to overlook in the past.
    I occasionally pick up cheap 2nd hand PAL stuff that I think I might like and if I do I replace it with an NTSC copy. HDTV will hopefully do away with the PAL problems.
    Last edited by smouty; 27-07-2007, 11:51.

Comment

I have a US Wii, Pal PS2 and a DS Lite. All of my Wii games come via VG+ or forums such as this, and the Wii has been the first home console that I ever imported. After waiting patiently for Metroid, Zelda, Animal Crossing etc last gen I couldn't do the same with the Wii so a US console was the only choice for me.

I was late to the PS2 party and tbh it usually only gets used for Singstar so Pal was the best option.

DS I usually import from the US, every now and then from Jpn, and Pal if I can get a good deal.

Comment

i still import pretty much all my games.
        more american than japanese these days though, unless its a title that will never leave japan i'll try to wait for the usa release..

i'll probably go with a pal 360 if i finally get one at all, but only because it will be easier to get it fixed/replaced.

Comment

If I can't buy it in the Highstreet then I'll import it - simple as that rly.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cactuar Cat View Post
            How sad.
            Lol, says a gamer who imports.....

I suppose you fire off Kalashnikovs in your garden to amuse you or something else uber rad right?
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Pavey View Post
              I read that quickly and thought it said something different altogether.

I thought, 'lucky boy, i'd never leave the house'.
              You naughty man Nick, you have a child now and everything!!!
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

All my 360 stuff is UK and I have no intrest in importing. My DS collection is a mixture of cheap UK/ American and Japanese, but barring games like Jump Ultimate Stars I won't be importing many more Jap games having somehow lost my patience with the language Barrier. I own both a US and UK PS2 but prefer buying NTSC games now as my UK machine isnt plugged in often. My Wii is American unmodified, the only platform where I can only import. I've come to realise the limitations of import only but don't regret my decision.

If I eventually get a PS3 it will be an American one as I'm not going to be stuck with UK Blue Ray films. (my DVD movie collection is half and half and wouldn't give up access to American films for the world.)

Comment

Buy PAL stuff when it's cheap for my old hardware, everything current is imported.

Current exchange rate = win for folks like us.

Importing hardware is a major step, but the only way to guarantee zero hassle.

Comment

Not only is the 360 is the first console I haven't had modded, but it's the first console I haven't considered modding.

(And I know that a 360 modchip doesn't actually exist, but if one were to be invented, I'd pass.)

Basically, it's the first time I've ever felt reasonably confident that most of the Jap/USA games worth having will PROBABLY come out over here, given time ... eg, EDF, Senko, etc.

Comment

Very simple for this generation, the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii are identical overseas. No 50-60hz advantage and games come out at the same time or even before Japan. Nevertheless, I still haven't bought a PAL PS3 game, I need my Japanese artwork.

Comment

I buy the occasional PS3 game from Japan/Asia (latest being Railfan), and I also have an NTSC-J 360, both for the occasional weird/collectable/niche titles you can find (Zegapain XOR, Oneechebara Vortex etc...) and for getting some RPGs ahead of time from PAL territories (Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata), and also the very cheap NTSC-J versions of mainstream 360 titles. The NTSC-uk trading board shows how you can get a game of the caliber of Burnout Revenge for a fiver second hand here, so it more than pays its way. I also have I also have a PAL 360 for the best of both worlds, but I do have a sneaking suspicion the NTSC-J 360 library may end up with some Radiant Silvergun level collactable titles due to the niche penetration of the 360 in Japan. That said, recently a number of titles like Project Sylpheed and Senko have been ported, so truly rare 360 NTSC-J only games may be a dying breed.

I will occasionally import a game on the DS too, such as Ouenden, if I'm desperate to play it, but that's probably about it.

That said, in previous hardware generations I imported/bought nothing out of the PAL region, so the advent of trustworthy sites like playasia and eBay have really broadened my gaming horizons.
                        Last edited by cavalcade; 27-07-2007, 14:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Akihabara View Post
                          Very simple for this generation, the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii are identical overseas. No 50-60hz advantage and games come out at the same time or even before Japan. Nevertheless, I still haven't bought a PAL PS3 game, I need my Japanese artwork.
                          I think you made a mistake in your post including the wii in that statement. 50/60 hz issue still exists with both virtual console and some third party games like Call of Duty, and some of Nintendo's releases couldn't be further apart, like Super Paper Mario.

Comment

Akihabara is referring to US being overseas to him in Japan, I doubt the PAL versions ever crossed his mind (quite rightly)

Comment

Originally posted by Swallow View Post
                              Akihabara is referring to US being overseas to him in Japan, I doubt the PAL versions ever crossed his mind (quite rightly)
                              Yeah that makes more sense, but were there 50/60 hz issues between Japan and non PAL territories then ?

Comment

I've bought whatever from wherever really, mostly where I can source somethign the cheapest! I've found it has never really mattered

Comment

Working...
                                X