No announcement yet.

Edge 180 Scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't help ask this again as it has caused so much contraversy but, really, what's the big deal with Bioshock?

Comment

It's a really cool, good looking , well made game.

Comment

See, I could see that description and an 8 fitting quite nicely. 8 is a damn good score.

Comment

It is, I'm glad that people are really enjoying it, but in my opinion the game isn't a far cry from Condemned or Deus Ex in terms of original gameplay.

Comment

I bought the game on Friday. I'm up to the Farmers Market bit, and to be honest, it's a really good game, but a solid 8/10 from me too.

I'll reserve final judgement till I've got further through it, but at the mo, all this "game of the year" talk confounds me.

Comment

Well I only played the demo and (I'm probably going to get lynched for this), it seemed like Doom3 with a jarring but pretty setting and weapons that come out your hand. But I'm of course willing to assume it gets better, which is why I'm curious about the backlash.

Comment

I think the demo was a good representation of what how the game plays as a whole, obviously there are a few more bits here and there but otherwise what you played it what you get

Comment

Simple thing here is that no matter how great a game is there will always be a small minority who think it is not that great, that is just human nature. Example is Halo, the majority think its is a great FPS but some people would think otherwise that doesn't stop it being a great game does it?! Bioshock is great game, a breath of fresh air to an genre that is flooded with distinctly average games. Edge giving the game a 8/10 (which is a solid score anyway) isn't gonna change that opinion that most people have of this game. This doesn't just apply to games, it can be movies, food, cars or even something as obscure as carpet

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
                    Simple thing here is that no matter how great a game is there will always be a small minority who think it is not that great, that is just human nature. Example is Halo, the majority think its is a great FPS but some people would think otherwise that doesn't stop it being a great game does it?! Bioshock is great game, a breath of fresh air to an genre that is flooded with distinctly average games. Edge giving the game a 8/10 (which is a solid score anyway) isn't gonna change that opinion that most people have of this game. This doesn't just apply to games, it can be movies, food, cars or even something as obscure as carpet
                    Totally agree.

Bioshock is just so damn well put together and enjoyable. It doesn't re-invent the wheel, but combines the best parts of HL2, Resi Evil, System Shock and Condemed and makes a great experience.

The game is clearly made by people who love to play, and that is such a nice feeling, things like
                    for example.

In first play I scored it as a 9. But in my mind in Edge world an 8 seems spot on, as it's not doing anything new, but what it does do, it does very well.

In my view a game with such high production values is a must play anyway. But now I've played the game and read the review, I don't feel they are so out of the norm. Just jugding in a different way, that's all.

C_S.

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
                      I can't imagine it will, but if the Edge review puts just one person off buying Bioshock then the reviewer deserves to be shot for his stupidity.

Comment

Sales are not Edge's problem. Nor should they be.

Comment

If a score of 8 in EDGE puts people off buying games, those same people would only buy one or two games a year.

I accept that the score was critical, but the score evens it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
                            I can't imagine it will, but if the Edge review puts just one person off buying Bioshock then the reviewer deserves to be shot for his stupidity.
                            Why would 8/10 put some one off its not like its 8/100 its 2 off perfection !.
                            Call that 2 off the problems the PC version has and we can call it even

Comment

There is no universal truth here. No score is absolute. Take my brother for example: He is 27. He loves violence. He wants to shoot and destroy things... But he doesnt want story. He doesnt want to explore. Atmosphere bores him. Set pieces just waste his time...

Whether the game was scored 2, 8 or 10... it wouldnt be his cup of tea. He would say it was crap, just like he classes games like Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Fable, Oblivion, etc etc as crap. He cant even appreciate they are well made...

Simply put, there are always going to be people with their differing opinions of stubborn dislikes. The facts are simple though. Bioshock is a great game, but not everyone will like it. Edge, on the other had, obviously did like it, they must of really liked it to reward an 8. There really is no harm here.
                              Last edited by Adam Stone; 26-08-2007, 18:36.
                              ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Agreed. Having read the review I pretty much agree with everything Edge said. Very good game that could have been amazing. I'd have still given it a 9/10, but the score out of ten doesn't really matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X