Edge 180 Scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
    I can't imagine it will, but if the Edge review puts just one person off buying Bioshock then the reviewer deserves to be shot for his stupidity.
    ha ha

Comment

Almost to the end now and I think overall 8 is a pretty fair mark.

Its not as good as the over the top hype its received. Its strongest point is its atmosphere and story. It really does a fantastic job of pulling you into the world and leaving you sitting on the egde of your seat. A lot of its other funtion though is fairly run of the mill FPS stuff.

I wouldn't put it at the same level as HL2, SS2 or Resi 4 for example but just under.

I'm not a veteran of the Edge score thread legend, having only read a few. Its seems though that the problems come from the magazine not giving the Xbox consoles the credit they deserve and inflaming the fanboys? Maybe an unfair comment but this is the impression I get from the few I've read.

Comment

Oooh, Warhawk an 8? Purchase vindicated! ROAR!

Comment

Egm rated it high also
          Warhawk scores:

Joe - 8.5
          Crispin - 7.0
          Sam - 8.5

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
            So they are saying Space Giraffe is as good as BioShock and Warhawk?

Jesus...
            review scores are always a matter of the reviewer's personal taste and gaming history. hence comparing scores of Space Giraffe and Bioshock would only make sense if they were reviewed by the same editor.

i am still hesitating to spent 400 points on Space Giraffe by the way

I can't imagine it will, but if the Edge review puts just one person off buying Bioshock then the reviewer deserves to be shot for his stupidity.
            i can't see this happening. Edge readers should know about their strict review rating system and will therefore appreciate the score of 8 - which is, from what i have played so far, spot on.

Comment

So you're saying those of us that love bioshock are CRETINOUS SHEEP?

Wow, thanks!
              No, that isn't what he said at all. There are plenty of people who love Bioshock who aren't acting like screaming brats over the fact one magazing 'only' gave it a very good score.

Get some perspective, you're coming across like hysterical idiots. You're better than this, or at least you should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                review scores are always a matter of the reviewer's personal taste and gaming history. hence comparing scores of Space Giraffe and Bioshock would only make sense if they were reviewed by the same editor.
                I should think they also only make sense if you're comparing the games of the same price. SG is an XBLA game and is - I imagine - reviewed against other XBLA games. Getting a 10 is like coming top of the conference league: you're good but you're not really playing with the big boys.

---

As for Bioshock, the 8 (and the 6 for HS) *does* matter as some people still make decisions based on magazine reviews. Any game that can put an "Edge gave it a 10!" on the box will shift more units (to the present buying demographic) than it otherwise would. More units mean more profit, which means the studio has more autonomy in making future games.

The influence is small of course, and any given score won't have any effect on your personal enjoyment of the game, but gamers *should* want magazines to give appropriate scores as it means the studios are rewarded more appropriately for their talent. A small effect, but not negligible.

Comment

I've now played Bioshock. An Edge 8 is a perfectly reasonable mark.

Comment

Aye. I got swept up by the hype wave and was initially quite peeved at that review. Turns out they were right.

It's a 9 in my book purely for its setting, atmosphere, art direction and concept, but it's certainly an Edge 8.

Now...Space Giraffe on the other hand.

Comment

Originally posted by crocky-chocky View Post
                      Aye. I got swept up by the hype wave and was initially quite peeved at that review. Turns out they were right.

It's a 9 in my book purely for its setting, atmosphere, art direction and concept, but it's certainly an Edge 8.
                      Props to you for admitting that. Glad to see there are still some rational people about! In fact, this thread as a whole seems to have finally gained some perspective

Has anyone read the Super Mario Galaxy piece? Really good write up, and managed to make me even more excited than I already was (and thought possible!) Shows just why Edge, on it's day, is still the best videogame journalism you can read.

Comment

The thread has been perfectly level headed for pages. A few descenting voices does not a chorus make. :P

It's still very much a cast iron 9 though from this point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept View Post
                          The thread has been perfectly level headed for pages. A few descenting voices does not a chorus make. :P
                          Haha, maybe I'm still just a little jaded from the first few shambolic pages

Comment

Originally posted by Ady View Post
                            I've now played Bioshock. An Edge 8 is a perfectly reasonable mark.
                            I've now finished the game, and I agree its a reasonable mark, though not a score I personally would give it. The game has quite a few faults, but they didn't get in the way of my enjoyment.

I have no idea what the text of the review says though, so my comment is pretty much null and void!

Comment

Bloody hell guys, you'd think 8 was a bad score or something! 8 is reasonable, though I'd go for 9 too.

Comment

I've only skim-read this thread and have yet to play the full game but, seriously, how is Edge awarding Bioshock an 8 instead of the 9 some feel it deserves in any way controversial? I don't get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X