Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What has everyone been playing this week?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both Maximo games are great, though the first can be slightly too difficult underneath what looks a straightforward platformer. I thought it was an admirable update to the Ghouls and Ghosts series, though I can't remember the reception at launch.

Just got Killzone 2. I know, I'm very very late to this one, but at the time of its release, nothing was going to stop me from playing Street Fighter IV anyways. This is the first time I've discovered this style of multiplayer and it's terrific (I never bought COD4). I primarily bought the game for the single player but the online mode has clearly eclipsed that from the time I've played it. This will happily keep me occupied until some of the bigger releases in the run-up to Christmas come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Btang84 View Post
      Both Maximo games are great, though the first can be slightly too difficult underneath what looks a straightforward platformer. I thought it was an admirable update to the Ghouls and Ghosts series, though I can't remember the reception at launch.
      Received decent review if memory serves, if nothing spectacular. I know there was a lot made of the difficulty at the time, which perhaps put people off because I don't think either did that well. I managed to complete it though, so I'm not sure it was really that difficult (I'm no hardcore gamer by any means).

Perhaps I should play that as well to see.

Comment

Well I just spent about an hour trying to play Perfect Dark on the N64. Despite being a ninja in the day, the controls, framerate and it being on a HDTV really are making me feel like a total spacker at it now.

First level, Perfect Agent. It all goes well until I hit the bottom floor. 10 frames per second, it feels like.

Oh how I yern for the XBLA version.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
          <3 Maximo. I never played that much of the sequel (Played the original to death), if memory serves I found the save system annoying, so didn't persevere too far. Might have to dig that out and see what it looks like upscaled.
          I played it on a Sony 32" WS 100Hz CRT, RGB SCART in full pseudo-WS using the game's 60Hz option. All the other TV's digital enhancements were off and, honestly, it would take somebody who knows what they were looking for to see the distortion towards edges of the screen. But this Sony TV does have a particularly subtle pseudo-WS display, notably better than my JVC which is why I often use it in preference for 4:3 non-prog-scan games.

No loss of subtitles or HP bars etc either thanks to the game's picture centering option (a pox on those developers who don't include it as standard).

How either game looks on a big WS LCD or plasma I'd be interested to hear.

Comment

I have just completed Force Unleashed of which I am really undecided about the quality. Most reviews seem to give 7/10 of which seems generous for what is essentially a linear and repetitive hack and slash game.

Suppose the presentation and voice acting was above average and it did draw me in until I had completed it so maybe a justified score. I was not impressed with having to restart twice due to being stuck in the scenery though!!

Comment

Originally posted by JulioBaptista View Post
              I have just completed Force Unleashed of which I am really undecided about the quality. Most reviews seem to give 7/10 of which seems generous for what is essentially a linear and repetitive hack and slash game.

Suppose the presentation and voice acting was above average and it did draw me in until I had completed it so maybe a justified score. I was not impressed with having to restart twice due to being stuck in the scenery though!!
              Had that happen in the, uh, next-to-next-to-last boss fight. Was ever so glad when my opponent decided to force grip me and throw me across the room.

I know what you mean about the quality - if it didn't have the Star Wars license / music / nostalgia factor going for it, I think it would be pretty forgettable, but the sheer fanboy glee I got from playing it made up for a lot.

Comment

been playing motorstorm 2 and call of duty 5 on my new ps3 which i got yesterday, as i could have waited for the slim model but got a bargain with ps3 2 games for 240 in gamestation so i'm happy with that.

also wolfenstein i will be playing when i decide to get ps3 or 360 version.

Comment

GTA: San Andreas
                  When you're driving into Baller territory through the LA haze with Ice Cube on the radio, you're reminded that you're playing the best GTA game ever made. IMO.

GTA: Lost & Damned
                  Great little chapter ... but a little too little.

Otomedius G
                  Still in my Jp 360 since I got it a couple of weeks back (can't believe I haven't played the mighty Death Smiles in a fortnight). Really nice surprise this one.

Comment

I have to agree about GTA: SA. For years I avoid playing it even though a big fan of GTA3 and less so, Vice City. Before release I had big arguments with people on another forum about GTA: SA main themes. The whole story concept disapointed me as it appeared to be yet another lazy black 'gangsta' themed game cliched to the point of racism.

I still think there is an element of that but those questions aside I eventually decided to put my money where my mouth was and actually play the thing. I quickly realised that I had been denying myself one of the greatest games of its generation.

I put in 180 hours before moving on and although I finished the main story there were still large areas I had barely barely explored.

Comment

Finished Killzone 2 at last. It never really felt right for me, not sure why. Perhaps because the Helghast were bullet sponges or perhaps that the plot was so contrived or the guns didnt quite feel right or the set pieces didn't have much impact or...etc. No CoD4 better by any means.

Tried Turning Point Fall of Liberty...it was late and I'm not quite sure if what I say was actually a horrible nightmare or not. Only cost &#163;5, but I get the feeling I've been ripped off.

Comment

Played a little more of Turning Point. It wasn't a nightmare. What a turd.

Comment

Have been continuing my slow march through Resi 5 (PS3) this weekend and have not long just beaten Irving; quite an awesome boss to look at.

All in all, I'm not really as impressed with this game as I thought I would be. It feels too much like a beefy older brother of RE4 than what I was hoping for. I enjoy being back in control of Chris though, he's always been the coolest character to control in RE for me.

Comment

PS3: Aquanaut's Holiday: Kakusareta Kiroku. Fine little game. VERY relaxed.
                            RR7 is mandatory nowadays as I'm trying to re-100&#37; it following a data loss. Just got some Extreme Battles to go.

PSP: I've been attempting to play Echochrome and Every Extend Extra, but I can't really get my head around either of them.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Erm,

SF Zero 3 CPS2 .. meh
                              ESP.Ra.De trying to beat my highscore
                              Borrowing Hokuto no Ken from a friend, wow I need this game in my life, looks so good in high res.

Comment

Again nothing much this week:

All Xbox 360-

Fallout 3
                                R Type 1&2
                                Call of Duty WAW
                                Pure

Comment

Working...
                                X