X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stainboy View Post
    Okay, I decided I want one "fairly soon" so I'm changing my question:

Should I wait a few weeks till I can buy one with real cash (maybe second hand) or be naughty and buy a shiney new one with the evil credit card?
    Save some cash and buy a second-hand bundle off here. NTSC machine bundles pop up all the time, especially US ones.

Comment

Not sure about an NTSC machine, I know there's the freeloader now for games from anywhere but I really wanted the UK VC and online stuff.

Comment

Why do you want the UK Virtual Console? All the games are in 50hz and cost more than the US versions.

Comment

That's a good point, but when I was still following it the EU had more exclusives that I wanted.

Comment

Depends if there are any games on it that you like. My Wii has been collecting dust since I got it.

I got Zelda TP on Gamecube, Okami and RE4 on PS2, and I'm not a fan of Mario or Metroid, so for me there is absolutely zero worth playing. If you have friends that come over regularly for party games, it is good... but I don't have people interested, and I only have one controller. If you're a solo player, don't bother IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
              Why do you want the UK Virtual Console? All the games are in 50hz and cost more than the US versions.
              ah agreed. i love my wii but i regret opting for a pal machine. my thinking was that i wanted to be able to just walk down to the shop and pick up a game, but if i had a us machine, the games i imported from their would likely arrive months before the games even released here.

im also dissapointed with the pal vc. only 50hz game ive succmbed to downloading is paper mario. rest are all hanabi festival releases (sin and punishment, lost levels and the like) and im pretty sure these are all available on the us vc as well.
              Last edited by NoelEdwards; 26-06-2008, 09:46.

Comment

I'd say no, with the exception of Galaxy there is nothing great available that you can't get elsewhere. Also, if you have a nice TV going to the Wii is actually quite shocking because the terrible output & visual quality of the console really show it up. My main proven with it however is the control method- it really is nothing more then a gimmick, as are the majority of the titles released on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Haribokart View Post
                  My main proven with it however is the control method- it really is nothing more then a gimmick, as are the majority of the titles released on it.
                  Oh how the tune will change next generation...

Comment

I too would say no. I have owned all three since release date and must say that of the three the Wii gets used the least. I am not a huge fan of the controller its just a gimmick and in most games it feels tacked on. I have played all the big hitters on all three systems and would say the Wii lacks quality software. Mario Galaxy and Kart were huge letdowns for me. My biggest problem with it is as soon as I turn it on I cant get away from the feeling I am playing a last gen system why bother when there are better things out there.

Comment

The gimmicky control argument is only relevant to some games. Its not due to the controller itself, but rather laziness on the Devs department. Games like Wii Sports, Galaxy, Okami, Resident Evil 4, Lost Winds and the like are examples of great games made to feel unique because of the control. There's a lot of crap out there for the wii, but also some true examples of why the controller does work so well.
                      Last edited by NoelEdwards; 26-06-2008, 09:45.
                      ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I'm pretty sure Yorath's Mullet (moderator) asked for this argument to stop or otherwise the thread would be locked! Yup, he did - see here.

Comment

So much crap in one thread. Unless Stainboy PM's me (or another Mod) requesting thread is re-opened (for genuine question answering) I'm closing it.

People throwing personal insults about should read the forum rules again.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Ha ha ha! You're treating yourself before you've even been paid! Cheeky!
                            You might want to ease up on the spending until the money's in the bank, dude.

Well, if that little lot doesn't get you through to next month, I'm amazed...

BioShock is awesome and should last you a good while if you play it in reasonable amounts. Mass Effect should last aaaaages and Viva Pinata sounds like it's right up your street.

You might even swap GamerTags with some new co-workers and breathe new life into some older games like Crackdown, CoD4, Lost Planet or something else co-op/multiplayer.

I've had to accept that I can't play all the games released on all the consoles and now focus on enjoying what I've got.

It's like going to a multiplex to see a film, but going into all the screens to check you're not missing out on something. It's much more rewarding just to settle for the one film and enjoy that to its fullest.

I think I'm alone in this train of thought reading this message board though!

EDIT: Seriously, stainster, wait until you've finished your first full month then see how you feel! Don't get into Credit Card debt for the sake of something you kinda sorta think you might like.
                            You're right, it's incredibly cheeky (and dangerous) to start spending money before I've got it. I've got 3 games to be going on with and will have a lot less time to play them as well. Plus there's loads of XBLA game I can buy if I really feel I have to.

Thanks to the rest, I really needed convincing that there were enough single player games out there and I think there is. Or at least Mario Galaxy sounds worth the console on it's own.

So see you all in the first play thread's in about a month's time then, and I'll weight up the PAL vs. NTSC in the meantime.

Go ahead and relock

Comment

Originally posted by mekanor View Post
                              ah agreed. i love my wii but i regret opting for a pal machine. my thinking was that i wanted to be able to just walk down to the shop and pick up a game, but if i had a us machine, the games i imported from their would likely arrive months before the games even released here.
                              I know the feeling. I kinda regret PAL on the VC front, but at the same time, I do like that as I'm perusing play.com or whatever, I can jus nab and "sale" games dirt cheap brand new

Have to say re-reasing this thread is prompting me to contemplate getting a US Wii. Due to move out of my parents in the next year or so, and if I don't get another Wii there is going to be World War 3 on as to who gets to keep it

Comment

Working...
                              X