Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fatal Fury better than Streetfighter. SHOCK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatal Fury better than Streetfighter. SHOCK!

THis last 2 moths I've been playing loads of Garou: Mark of the Wolves on my Neo Geo AES (I have the MVS version which I play via a convertor), and I've been loving it. It oozes style, the music is excellent, and the animation is awesome! Anyhow last week, I decided it was time for a bit of SF3 on my DC. Recently I've been hearing how no 2D fighter can measure up to SF3, especially in the animation department. My first impressions of SF3:Third Strike (I haven't played on it for at least 3 months) on my DC (running at 60Hz RGB) was of mild disapppointment, compared to MOTW. Its a bit slower than MOTW, and just doesn't seem to have that spark, the dynamism that MOTW has. The soundtrack seems a little Muzaky in places, and the the mechanics a little tired. I just think SNK has taken a lot of what SF3 great and put it in MOTW - the parrying (Just Defense), the animation, and fireballs and dragon punches.
    I've never heard anyone say that MOTW is better than SF3 so I guess there is a reason, maybe it has some fatal gameplay flaw when played at an expert level. I duuno, but from an enthusiastic (but non-expert) beat-em-up player, in my opinion MOTW is the real king! I even think MOTW has better animation overall, its faster, the roster of fighters is much better, and many of the backgrounds are superb. The only downside has to be when you play in 'English' mode, and you get to understand some of the lame in-game dialogue, and Marco Rodrieguez changes his name to Khushnood Butt. Still you can't have everything, can you?
    You can buy MOTW on Dreamcast, though I understand there are some minor differences with the conversion.

I also want to say that I do think 3rd Strike is still an excellent game, but lets face it, it was a *bit* of a disappointining update on SF2. I think many of the charcters aren't that good compared to SF2, and the backgrounds aren't as memorable. It seemed to gain a lot of popularity after that famous video on YouTube came out (Daigo comeback?).
    BTW Is it true that DC 3rd Strike isn't as good as the arcade,. I heard that parrying is slower? It has lots of options where you can change settings like this. Does anyone know if you can make it arcade perfect by altering these settings to appropriate levels?

Anyone who knows these forums knows that I'm definitely not a SF3 fan. Indeed, I feel that SF3 is one of the most overrated and disappointing releases ever.

That said, SF3 owns Garou MOTW every day of the week for me. It's as simple as that.

Comment

Speaking from a DC point of view I agree, but in my opinion neither of those games are a patch on Marvel vs. Capcom 2 or the Capcom vs. SNK games. Again, in terms of the DC, MotW isn't even a standout amongst the Neo Geo ports. The difference between that and King of Fighters 1998-2001 is marginal at best and what the KoFs lack in terms of gameplay they make up for with superior rosters. Then you've got Last Blade 2 which for my money beats them both hands down in terms of playability.

Bottom line: Garou: MotW may be better than SF3 but that's like saying Greggs is better than a Greasy Spoon Cafe, neither are the best option.

Comment

Compare MOTW to Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha and there really is no competition. In fact, I can name a handful of Neo Geo fighters better than MOTW. Art of Fighting 2, Fatal Fury 3, Real Bout Fatal Fury & RBFF Special, King of Fighters 96 & 98....

Along with 3S, MOTW is one of the most overrated fighters ever.

Comment

3S is my favourite 2D fighter. It has always been popular with fighting game fans (in Japan and Europe at least), imo due to a lack of major bugs, custom combos and infinites that are prevalant in other recent Capcom fighters. Re the DC conversion, the main complaints are input lag (debatable, I've never seen a definitive test), and the unblockables don't work (it was based on a later version of the PCB were this was changed).

MOTW is such a obvious copy of SF3 I never really saw what all the fuss was about. Main characters redrawn to look older, lots of new faces that play suprisingly like the old characters, focus on smooth animation, parrying/just defence. It's ok for a while, but ultimately it feels quite dull. Like Superfamifreak, there are a lot of Neo Geo fighters I prefer.

Comment

I love SFIII, but I played a lot of MOTW on my PSP a while back and really got into it. It's a close thing whether or not it's actually a better game, but I like the characters in it a lot more than I do most of the new Street Fighter III ones.

SFIII has the advantage in the parrying system IMO, because I like how a parry in that has to be a conscious effort against what fighting game instinct tells you what to do, whereas MOTW's Just Defend is just about timing a normal block. And you can't beat a good Street Fighter III battle, finished off with your Super Art, for intensity

Comment

3S is pretty great against human opponents. There are multiple ways to defend, air blocking (parry) takes skill. Very original characters, good balance. I always steered clear of the shoto's, was bored by them. Instead I took my time to get grips with Urien, Makoto, Remy... If you only use shoto's, then it might be a boring game. 3S on the DC simply sucks ass. Its simple as that. The DC version has input lag, crap graphics and remix music. CPS3 version (now on mame) or anniversary are the way to go. This input lag, i'm sure its there. On the DC, my parries fail 9 out of 10 times. In the arcade and on Xbox, I have easily 2 times better luck.

MOTW, its pretty boring. I did like it alot but the more I played the more shallow it started to feel. I ultimately sold my AES copy of it, because I could get a ****load for it (t was an English version) but also because I was bored to hell with it. Gameplay is smooth, animations are impressive considering its MVS. But for fun and staying power you might as well get Real Bout 2 or Special. Its just that MOTW has a depressed atmosphere, not many characters and actually no real fun gameplay. Its a shallow SF3 rip off. Just Defend is just not as risky as parry for example.

Nah, the best Fury for me is Fatal Fury 3 by far. If only they nailed the forgiveness of the input back then, it would be a work of art. This is about the only neo fighter I keep playing on and on. The roster is great, it has a lot of completely new disciplines. Atmosphere is fantastic too.

Comment

Just wondering for the guys who don't like MoTW, did you guys learn all the stuff like move feinting, break moves, evasive moves, etc...?

It really opens up the game a lot more, and shows the game isn't purely about Just Defend.

I wouldn't say it was one of my favorite neo fighters, but it's far from being crap.

Comment

Originally posted by 12-51-00 View Post
                  Speaking from a DC point of view I agree, but in my opinion neither of those games are a patch on Marvel vs. Capcom 2 or the Capcom vs. SNK games
                  Thats crazy talk, they're both ****.

Comment

Sure, I used Kevin Ryan's Break arts all the time. It was great for some juggles. But as said before, there are not much characters and the 'new' faces play like they are not really new. Really; RB2, FF3, KOF98 and LB2 are probably better bets. I also hold KOF99 in very high regard but I might be alone on that one

Originally posted by CrispyXUK View Post
                    Thats crazy talk, they're both ****.
                    Yup. I especially hated MvC2. MvC1 however was really fun and had still those great drawn and lively backgrounds. But regarding crossover fighters; XvSF on the Saturn.

CvS was EXTREMELY poor. The gameplay felt cheap, and wrong. For both parties. The sequel felt slightly better, but it had this suck ass MvC2 presentation. The best is SvC Match of the Millenium on the Pocket. This game is so much better than the others, its almost retarded. I mean, a measly handheld fighter owning the **** out of Naomi and MVS...
                    Last edited by saturn-gamer; 05-07-2008, 15:43.

Comment

I am actually quite surprised, that no else loves MOTW as much as me! No way is it dull, it is definitely the best fighter I have played on AES. I have KOF 02, which is a good game, but the animation smoothness obviously suffers (having such a large roster of fighters), and the graphics are slightly rough. I also have Matrimalee and FF Special, FF2 and AOF2, Waku Waku 7 (which is brilliant!), and Samurai Shodown 2+3. I do really want a Last Blade game, but I have exhausted my finances - and well you know how much these games cost...
                      I actually think MOTW is in general under-rated, hence this thread, I'm sure many gamers haven't even played it. Isn't it Jap only on DC, and not many people own a MVS/AES. In my opinion it is a serious fighter which at the same time manages to cram a lot of style in. Games like Marvel Vs Capcom 2 are insane and good fun, but they can't compete in the serious fighter stakes.
                      MOTW is definitely SNK's answer to SF3, but its not a copy, it has its own style.

P.S. I am not very good at Parrying in SF3 - now I know its because the DC version isn't up to scratch, I feel a lot better! Also isn't the DC crosspad awful for fighting games? Its a shame given the number of quality ones available on the system. I just got an arcade stick. I always stayed away from them before, because you can't take your stick round a mate house, can you? and if you get used to the stick, its hard to use a standard controller again. Now though, none of my friends have Dreamcasts, so I don't care anymore!

P.P.S I hate tag/team fighters. Just seems like too much work beating 2 or 3 charcters. The only one I liked was Rival Schools on PSOne. I liked Tekken 3, but the Tag version was boring. I played it in the Arcade once and had to walk away because it was taking so much time get through each round.
                      Last edited by buzz909; 05-07-2008, 16:04.

Comment

I don't think it's really going to matter what port of third strike you play unless your going to be competeing at tournaments. DC third strike is still perfect if your casually playing it, infact I seen vids of pro players like Diago using the DC for tournaments! so if they had fun with it way back then im sure every other joe bloggs can have fun to

Comment

Was ****ing hilarious the other night when Buster Broon tried to explain to my (non games playing) wife about how he felt Garou was overrated. I would have said it was his lowest moment but that would have been when he used the phrase "I can Tom Tom it" regarding directions to Saarfhaaampton train station.

For the record, mind, I prefer Garou over 3S, and Real Bout over Garou. I am crap at Third Strike.

Comment

I prefer SSF2X over any of them \o/

Comment

The DC crosspad might rub off your skin, but its more responsive than the Dualshock or Xbox(360) pads.

A Ps2 Saturn pad and the Ps2 version might be the wisest choice for SF3.

Comment

Working...
                              X