I thought I liked beat'em ups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I liked beat'em ups...

Love me Street Fighters, love me SNK fighters and I once enjoyed some Tekken 1 & 2. I also once got into Soul Edge a bit. Then I had a break...or maybe I got hooked on SF Zeros.

Later down the line I got to Tekken 3 and found I couldn't be bothered learning all the commands. I'm not sure what's happened, but I just couldn't get into the Dead or Alive 4 I bought on 360 or VF5 I got on PS3. I've recently bought Soul Calibur IV, and again I've become bored of it very quickly. I'm a fool for not learning my lesson.

Was I spoiled by Capcom and SNK? Am I the only beat em up fan who can't get to grip with these 3D fighters... well, not get to grip, but rather, be bothered to learn all the moves.

I'm a bit drunk at the moment and so I may read this tomorrow in shame

Can't wait for SFIV.

Anyone else feel like this?
    Last edited by hudson; 04-08-2008, 00:08.

I'm not a fan of these button bashing 3D fighters at all. I think it's one area of gaming that hasn't really improved with the advent of more powerful systems.

Personally I'd rather play SFZ2A or KoF96 over ANY of these newer offerts.

Maybe I'm just stuck in the 90's when it comes to fighters?

Comment

Only modern one I can play is VF5, and when I say 'play' I mean put my tongue out a bit as if I'm massively concentrating and knowing what I'm doing, while moving out of the way of punches and stuff.

I played my bird on tekken the other day and got owned, couldn't do a thing. I just prefer 2D fighters, but I do like VF5, its pretty dull though, I cannot stand the quest mode.

Comment

I'm a late bloomer, and funnily work the other way. I love fighters in general 2D and 3D alike.

I'm good at 3D ones, but absolutely terrible at 2D ones - but I do enjoy playing them. I'm loving Soul Calibur IV. Try it online? Might help to get into it...

Comment

I'm kind of having a similar problem. Kind of as I still love them, but as much as I loved VF5 I barely played it because I haven't got the time I used to have to put into them. Used to be that I'd get a new fighter and spend hours just learning moves, and then getting good with a few characters. Now I just haven't the time to do that, only actually used one character in VF5.
          PIcking up SFIV will be different for me at least cause i'll start pretty good at it since I'll know most of the moves etc already.

Comment

Yeah, maybe it's a time thing. I guess when I was younger I would stak out infront of the SNES

Yesterday I spent some time attempting to learn the moves of Taki and quickly got bored. I remember wishing that the Training mode was somehow different and could help you learn moves better instead of going into the Moves List, then exiting and remembering what to input..then repeat. I think there was a recent fighter that whet through moves systematically, telling you what to press... that was better. Think it was DOA4.

I'm just going to try and give it more time. Play through it, learn moves on the way. I like to know what move I'm going to pull off next without bashing buttons.

Comment

I hear what you are saying. I find that I don't have the time required to get good at the more modern fighters, with their plethora of moves. It's such a mechanical thing, memorising the button combinations, it leaves me rather cold.

Having said that, I even find 2D fighters after SFII a bit complicated, but again I think it's just a time / motivation thing. More moves != more fun. I will have another go at SFIII, Capcom vs SNK, and Marvel vs Capcom at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
                Anyone else feel like this?
                I feel like this with all games, not just fighters. My interest in videogames diminishes year by year.

It's not me getting older either - it's games getting ****ter.

Soul Calibur IV ffs. Didn't they go **** with #2? I never even bothered with #3 and now this one has Star Wars characters in it (lol).

Comment

I feel 2D beat'em ups and 3D are so different for some reason like a 2D platformer to a 3D platformer is to each other.

I prefer 2D fighters, but will give Tekken/SoulCalibur a go.

I bought SC4 which is a good game, but I'm a fan of input combos and slow movement.

Comment

Originally posted by topper View Post
                    I find that I don't have the time required to get good at the more modern fighters.

I even find 2D fighters after SFII a bit complicated.
                    Same here. I've never been as good at another fighter like how I was at SF2. I truly mastered that game, and it's 2 sequals, ' and 'Turbo. Right time, right place I guess. By the time Super came out, the phenomenom was over. Only place that had it in Wood Green was Quasar, compared to pretty much every pub, sweetshop, chipshop and cab office that had 2 and '.

Originally posted by DavidFallows View Post
                    I feel like this with all games, not just fighters. My interest in videogames diminishes year by year.

Indeed Fallows, indeed. Now if only I could bring myself to totally turn my back on them, and find sommat else to do.
                    Last edited by J0e Musashi; 04-08-2008, 10:13.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Soul Calibur IV ffs. Didn't they go **** with #2? I never even bothered with #3 and now this one has Star Wars characters in it (lol).
                      Holy Crap! I've been thinking of games being ****ter lately! People will have a go at me when I say most games on 360 ain't that amazing. There hasn't been a game in a long time apart from MGS4 that hasn't made me go...wow....

I am looking forward to LittleBigPlanet and thats it...Street Fighter IV didn't make go OMFG or anything which made me just want that game. The last time I had such excitement was when the Dreamcast was out and the amount of Arcade Games which got released.

I literally went mad when I saw Capcom VS. SNK for the 1st time! I wanted it so badly and I remembered Terry but that game is one of my favs as it really got me into other fighting games beyond Capcom's.

I am 21 now and I just play fighters but I also really like Echochrome, PixelJunk games. I love games with unique offerings but sadly the video game industry is all about money and games which are crap still manage to sell a million....its incredible.

Anyways back on topic. I still like Beat em Ups, love them to pieces! I got really pissed with SCIV though, I have had cheap ass players with crappy connections beat me and I got mega pissed. I got an arcade stick so I am starting to get used to the controls more often.

I look at Tekken and sometimes I can't be ****ed to learn the commands for a chain but apparently Lei is a hard character to use so thats probably why I am getting fustrated. I play 2D fighters a lot and I prefer them! I really can't wait for King of Fighters XII

Comment

Even if SFIV is as good as Powerstone it will keep me occupied for a couple of years.

Prob gonna buy a PS3 for both that and Resi5.

Comment

I um and ah about this from time to time. I have sold systems over the years and regretted it even though they have been gathering dust in boxes. But now I've decided to keep what I have for the long term, I even augment my collection with bits and pieces, and I don't feel like they are weighing me down.

I don't really do current-gen due to cost and lack of interest. But there are enough previous-gen games that I haven't played, let alone completed, to keep me going for the rest of my life. I played R-Type III on the SNES last night and it was one of the most exciting gaming experiences I've had for a while. I'm grinding my way through Paper Mario: TTYD at the moment, and I'm not /not/ enjoying it because I'm playing it for a couple of hours a week.

I haven't been a hardcore gamer[1] for at least ten years, so I'm not burnt out like some people seem to be. I'm quite happy to be playing 2/3 games at a time, dipping in only every now and then, and taking several months to complete them.

Having rambled, I think what I'm saying is that it doesn't have to be all-or-nothing, it's quite possible to game as one of a /variety/ of hobbies / interests, but that doesn't mean it has to be abandoned completely. I have had breaks of years at a time, and come back.

I now return the thread back to topic.

[1] A person who spends most of his spare time playing video games.

Comment

Think yourself lucky you can play 2D beat em ups. I can't play 2D or 3D beat em ups, unless they're brawlers like Powerstone.

Comment

Well it seems most the comments in this thread vindicate Capcom's choices with SF4.

I myself have lost interest in beat-em-ups, but only because I no longer have any competiton. I played a hell of a lot of SF2/Zero/3, MvC1/2, VF and Tekken when I had people to play against. Maybe if the home version of SF4 has a decent on-line mode I will be hooked again.

Comment

Working...
                              X