No announcement yet.

I thought I liked beat'em ups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sold off of Jassi's impressions, even if I don't like what I consider 'goofy' art direction. If it's satisfying to play and there's a lot to learn that's all that matters.

I can still play VF5 with peace of mind knowing that not everything has been destroyed in the world of gaming. However the player vs. player in WoW is just so life-shatteringly awesome there's little point playing anything else. Maybe SFIV can get me re-addicted to fighters like I was in the olden days, maybe it'll reek of stale pish. Who knows.

Comment

I like beat 'em ups - perhaps a bit too much on a surface level - never really been very good.

I don't know if there's like a database for characters on the web or anything - every now and again I'm always surprised by some little innovation. I think on Kinnukiman on the GC there was a ninja who could transform into the opposition - the other character would knock seven bells out of you for a couple of seconds but >pyang< the characters had switched and the reveal showed all the damage had been done to the aggressor. Used to be a big fan of Ivy from Soul Cal - loved her graceful, whipping chain attacks. Wow, just remembered Marvel vs Capcom - that was a stunner down the arcade. I seem to remember Capcom producing loads of beat 'em ups for the DC - some average but always interesting stuff - JoJo's, Plasma Sword and some mech beat 'em up. To me that was the last great time for such games.

Comment

Put me down as another 'bored of fighters' guy. Like most I played Street fighter II way too much/ Similarly with tekken and tekken 2 in the arcades. Since then things just haven't done it for me.

I think it's the realisation that to get back to the level of skill that I had on SF2 and tekken would take hundreds of hours. I just can't justify that time any more so whenever I play a new fighter I'm always going to be fumbling around like an idiot compared to my golden era.

In the tekken days I could do every move with several characters straight off the bat. Those days are long gone.

Comment

have to say...one of my most look forward to games is king of fighters XII....and now streetfighter 4

i still love 2d fighters

think the problem is for me my personal opinion....soul calibur and tekken hasent really evolved a tremendous amount and perhaps virtua fighter series to......sure they get better...but really they should do something completly new
          Last edited by eastyy; 04-08-2008, 19:44.

Comment

Originally posted by superstarbeejay View Post
            Put me down as another 'bored of fighters' guy. Like most I played Street fighter II way too much/ Similarly with tekken and tekken 2 in the arcades. Since then things just haven't done it for me.

I think it's the realisation that to get back to the level of skill that I had on SF2 and tekken would take hundreds of hours. I just can't justify that time any more so whenever I play a new fighter I'm always going to be fumbling around like an idiot compared to my golden era.
            Very well summed up. Of course, there's nothing to stop you getting SFII out on the SNES, although I do find the SNES arcade stick to be somewhat light and crappy.

It's amazing how most people here seem to feel similar about the genre. So who are all these people buying all these new fighting games?

Comment

The world needs Killer Instinct 3!

Comment

I bought SC4 felt the same when I played it thought why I buy it lol Next day I enjoyed it more but its the same feeling I always get with 3d stuff that its way too easier for me to button mash and win over the likes of 2d fighters. I adore VF5 (even though I get fed up that I keep having to learn it everytime I play it with forgetting all the moves) but its the only one of the 3d stuff I do. They all seem to have the cheesyness as well of low kick pokes to get quick wins or down someone and then run at them and do a flying kick timed as they get up on AI to win on 3d its something that Ive been able to do on Tekken, DOA and SC for years, thankfully VF smacks you for that with the AI.

If its not for VF series Id be happy for every fighter to be 2d or 2d gameplay in a 3d field (ie none of this shuffling in and out rubbish).

Comment

I've always loved me 2D fighters and I guess that I always will - I'm nowhere near as good as the guys who enter tournaments but I really enjoy the style of the Capcom and SNK fighters and that more than makes up for my lower skill levels. That's why I'm glad that SFIV is looking like a polygonal version of SFII rather than implementing a 3D movement system and sidestepping and the like - the style makes up a lot of the playing experience for me.

I've always found 3D fighters (with the exception of Virtua Fighter) to be slow and fairly cumbersome. They're good for when your mates want a quick game of something after coming back from the pub and you can drunkenly mash the buttons like a loon but for extended depth and challenge I always go back to my Dreamcast and it's vast amount of 2D fighters like Garou, KOF and SFIII 3rd Strike (to name but a couple).

I bought Soul Cali IV but it hasn't really clicked with me, the wife loves it but literally just because she can hammer the buttons and make some sort of progress through the single player mode but I don't expect to hang onto it for too much longer.

Comment

I agree with lots of what people have said. I played SF2 loads on the SNES. Then literally the next fighter I bought was Tekken 3 on the PSX. I was absolutely amazed. Then I bought DOA2 on the Dreamcast and I was blown away by that - awesome gfx at the time, and you could knock people off cliffs and through windows! Next came Soul Calibur, which I though felt a lot like Tekken, but soon beacme my favourite Beat-Em-up.
                    Thing is fighters haven't really moved on much. I haven't yet bought any sequels to Soul Calibur. I do want SC4, but in the videos the gameplay is pretty much the same. We need a new fighter that will blow us away again with awesome gfx, and gameplay to match. Something gritty and fresh would suit me
                    I recently bought Tekken 5 on PS2 and I like it a lot, but its basically a variation on Tekken 3. I played it with a friend recently and I can honestly say that it is not as much fun as Tekken 3, it doesn't flow the same, it is probably better balanced though.

(My favourite fighters at the moment are Tek 5, Mark of Wolves and AOF3. I rarely play anything else in the evenings, since I just want something testing and immediate. I was playing Ico and Okami and FFVII(!) but I haven't gone back to these. Fighters are full interaction!)
                    Last edited by buzz909; 06-08-2008, 20:59.

Comment

AOF3 - a hidden gem!

Comment

aof 3 never did it for me.

now breakers revenge!

Now we're talkin

Comment

sadpanda

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows View Post
                            My interest in videogames diminishes year by year. It's not me getting older either - it's games getting ****ter.
                            Of course it is...

Anywho, I used to love fighters back when I was a kid but I had so much time to learn the game. I brought Virtua Fighter 5 back when it came out and love the game but whenever I try to play seriously I get destroyed by someone who has taken the time to learn.

I think my memory is going a bit as well!

Comment

I cant get into 3d fighters any more. I just can't be assed with em. I even thought tekken 5 was ****, and my mate kicked my ass for it, saying it was the best fighter ever "betta then Tekken 2"!?

Comment

I've thought tekken's been pants since number 2. Whereas VF5 just looks and plays better.

Comment

Working...
                                X