No announcement yet.

An arcade stick thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers. Any way to know what gate a SF2 cab would have had back in 1992 if it had happ buttons?

Comment

Probably octagonal I guess. I know the sticks at my local chippy could rotate in a circular motion, not square like Sanwas. Are you changing the stick as well? The Happ stick I bought had a square gate but the edges were quite round.

Comment

Well my plan was to make it like the SF2 cab I used to play on but seeing as I want it for VF5 (and Final Showdown when it appears) that's pretty stupid anyway! The stock buttons on this are crap though. They feel like the ones that you get on the cheap hori (Fighting Stick 3 I think it's called).

Edit: No, I think the stick feels ok. It's a bit longer and maybe looser than I like but if it was too stiff on a stick that's not bolted to the floor then that might cause its own problems. The buttons are just a preference thing, the stick is more important and that feels like it'll do the job. We shall see. I'll have a good workout on it tonight.
        Last edited by Brad; 21-03-2012, 15:28.

Comment

My first DIY arcade stick was a Happ joystick and buttons mounted on a wooden base. Can't remember the wood but it was about 1cm thick. The tension in the stick was too much for the base(or the base wasn't weighty enough for the stick) and if I wasn't paying attention, I'd move the base about while playing.

As you've pointed out, the stick needs to be quite loose because of that.

Damnit, man. All this looking at buttons is making me want to build another stick. I must resist, though. My DC stick is more than enough

Comment

Hehe. My mate at work is pretty nifty with a pen so I'm trying to convince him to do some custom art for it too. The promise of beer and fame should seal the deal.

Comment

I seem to have lost all pics of mine. The artwork was pretty naff(it had Kyo from KOF, Maxi from SC and I think Akuma). I've been meaning to add artwork to my DC stick but it seems a bit of a hassle. Someone on a forum was selling pre-cut plexi for DC sticks and I was thinking of getting that. Part of the problem is SF4's Ono signed the grey metal top already so I'd need to somehow keep that. Alternatively, I could get new artwork, wait until he's back in town and get him to sign it again

What I wanted was the SF2 intro pic of the two guys and the building in the back but I gotta somehow take into account the VMU screen(which houses the little Ryu figure) and the signature which is between the stick and buttons.

Alternatively I could just leave it alone

Comment

Be a shame to get the signature covered up yeah.

I've found a template for this, along with a plexi cover (US supplier - is there anyone in the UK?) so I'm going to print out some templates for my mate and see what he can come up with. I want something mono and then will use black and white replacement buttons but I need to see the finished art to work out how many of each to get. I'll probably remove the 2 rightmost buttons (I'm not playing a fighting game that needs 8 buttons thanks). I'm thinking I won't need to blank them off because I'll get the plexi with just the 6 button cut out and that'll cover them up. Thing is, I'm impatient and want the Happ buttons on there asap :-)

Comment

Yeah, I got a load of stuff free when my order was delayed due to sf4 coming out. They're good but not the cheapest. Very fast post though and decent product range.

Comment

Holy crap. Might not impress anyone here but I can pull off a dragon punch 100% of the time with this stick. That has never happened before. Sadly trying to play vf5 results in my ps3 hanging. Tried multiple times now. Have just deleted install data and trying again.

Comment

FSW, black and white HRAP's look ace. Not the best pic, but here's mine......

Comment

I want to do that with my HRAP but with red start & select.

What parts do I need?

Comment

Mine is Sanwa OBSF-30 for the large buttons, OBSF-24 for the small ones.

Comment

This probably isn't the right place to post this, but I have a DC Arcade stick lying around at home, never used but unboxed.
                            How much are these worth?

Comment

Around ?30.

Comment

So I bought this poor VSHG off of a member of Neo Empire with the intention of doing it up.

Originally the QDs were held on with blu-tac, as well as the PCBs being held in with blu-tac. I stripped it down to it's core components, metal plates, body and the panel buttons / pcb.

Bought a new set of screw in sanwa in green to pay homage to the Astro City, and removed the original, tired overlay with the dumb layout.

Applied some ?4 carbon fibre vinyl wrap I bought on eBay to the control panel after lightly sanding it. Also bought some new M4 carriage bolts in black.

I used a PDP 360 pad for a PCB as I had it lying around, wiring isn't that attractive but it's temporary until the PS360+ comes out.

Anyway, before:

After:

End result is a stick that's a joy to play on. I was thinking my V3-SA was a fantastic stick but owning a VSHG again makes me think otherwise.

pam:

Comment

Working...
                                X