Playstation Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    To be honest it’s weird as hell that they’ve released it onto PS+ for PS4 in a special non-upgradeable version at literally the exact same moment the announce the PS5 upgrade. It’s like they’re setting out to confuse people.
    I appreciate you're giving them the benefit of the doubt here but I think 'weird' gives too much credit; in my mind, they got to claim on State of Play that it's a free upgrade, and then the day after they get to say they're giving the full game away on PS+. Reality is, they're wanting more people to try the game in the hope they'll pay for the full thing on top of the PS+ version just for access to the PS5 upgrade and the ability to pay for the DLC. Pushing the now-inferior version as a demo, if you will.

edit: to be clear - still a good freebie, and I hope lots of people play it on their PS4s, get tonnes of value out of it, and don't feel obliged to pay full whack for the tweaked graphics and ability to play the DLC. Just think it's a cheeky practice that sets a bad example.
    Last edited by fuse; 26-02-2021, 13:37.

Comment

I sort of agree but I absolutely see the rationale and do not think it particularly shady.

The PS4 version is backwards compatible so you won't get the upgraded version (which to me feels like not getting the "definitive" version of Tomb Raider on PS4 when we got the PS3 version on plus). When the PS4 version was created, the practice of free upgrades was not established so I am alright with it. But I think I might feel different with later games.
      In a way, it is reminiscent of the PS+ version of DriveClub.

The DLC is only on PS5, which I think is more irritating for me.

But I am SUPER PLEASED that more people will be able to play this game. It was (imho) absolutely stellar.

Comment

If they want people to upgrade to the PS5 version, they're going to need to make consoles available that aren't going straight into the hands of scalpers.

Comment

They often put the vanilla version of a game on PS+ in the hope people cough up for all the DLC/extras (XCom2 without War of the Chosen is just one example among many) so I don't see anything too outrageous here. Personally I'm really pleased with FFVII Remake offering as I've been sniffing around for a copy recently and it seems to have held its (high) price.

Comment

OK I'm confused. So I bought the ps4 version (obviously, because it's the only one that exists) last year on my PS5. Is that version eligible for the PS5 upgrade? If so, what makes the ps+ version different?

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
              They often put the vanilla version of a game on PS+ in the hope people cough up for all the DLC/extras (XCom2 without War of the Chosen is just one example among many) so I don't see anything too outrageous here. Personally I'm really pleased with FFVII Remake offering as I've been sniffing around for a copy recently and it seems to have held its (high) price.
              That makes sense and to me is much less insidious; provide the base game, and if people want to upgrade, they can! What's different here is that not only can you not upgrade the PS+ version to buy new content, they're having to go out of their way to make this the case.

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              OK I'm confused. So I bought the ps4 version (obviously, because it's the only one that exists) last year on my PS5. Is that version eligible for the PS5 upgrade? If so, what makes the ps+ version different?
              The version you paid money for is eligible for the PS5 upgrade. The only difference in the PS+ version is that they've made it just so that they can make it illegible for the PS5 upgrade, and the DLC.

Anyway. Seems I have more of an issue with this than anyone else, so I'll drop it from here.

Comment

Seems pretty ****ty. Sony shouldn't have bothered adding it to ps+

Comment

No dig at anyone here, but I wish the word 'entitled' wouldn't be used to describe people who buy the products and services and hardware. I first saw it used in the gaming industry by huge firms and then it spread to other sectors.

I quit gaming for years but its not a nice way to describe the people who fund your whole industry.

There are people who have unrealistic expectations but don't talk down to your whole market. People will also defend any dodgy behavior or practice by their favourite creators and or multinational corporations.

That is not about this Ps plus release.

Comment

I've thought of an analogy for the ps+ release...
                    Imagine you and your friends go to a restaurant and at the end a few of you order a nice cherry pie.
                    The manager comes over and says 'you know what, the rest of you can have a cherry pie for free!'
                    'really? that's good'
                    'yep, and for those who bought the cherry pie, you get cream on the top!'
                    'can I have cream on my free one?'
                    'no'
                    'why give me a free one if your not going to give me the cream?'
                    '...'
                    'the cream is free?'
                    'yep!'

*Insert confused Jackie Chan*

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                      That makes sense and to me is much less insidious; provide the base game, and if people want to upgrade, they can! What's different here is that not only can you not upgrade the PS+ version to buy new content, they're having to go out of their way to make this the case.
                      OK, ta, and fair enough. I didn't quite get that detail.

Comment

The Cream is not compatible with your firmware, has nothing to do with if you paid.

Comment

I own the PS4 version so it's not like I'm going to lose out personally here, but I do think it's an important distinction that the original physical and digital versions will give you the upgrade and that this version won't. It's not out of laziness or apathy that you can't upgrade it, they are having to take specific action to make the PS+ version non-upgradeable.

Is that known for sure? It sure sounds a lot like they're going to have a separate "FF7:R PS Plus" type listing so they can distinguish between what's eligible for the upgrade and what's not.
                          Aye if it’s like DriveClub and they have made a specific PS+ SKU/ID, I personally don’t see that happening and I won’t be redeeming day one that’s for sure. It’s all a bit of a mess really, I mean I can go out and buy a second hand disc and get the PS5 upgrade when available, remember the Yuffie content is paid PS5 exclusive DLC, so technically the only thing they are locking away from PS+ users/version is the ability to play an upgraded PS5 version, which isn’t cool.

Comment

I actually think it would have been better to say the PS5 upgrade is £10 whether you have the ps+ version or not. At least everyone would know where they stood.

Comment

The version you paid money for is eligible for the PS5 upgrade. The only difference in the PS+ version is that they've made it just so that they can make it illegible for the PS5 upgrade, and the DLC.

Anyway. Seems I have more of an issue with this than anyone else, so I'll drop it from here.
                              I'm hoping that there's a turnaround, but I'll just play the free one and forget the PS5 one otherwise.

Comment

Well this went down well. Disk version will be peanuts by the time the update is out so just get that.
                                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 27-02-2021, 07:34.

Comment

Working...
                                X