No announcement yet.

The New New New Xbox Experience Halo4 Dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pins thing is rubbish. They've completely missed the point of what people were requesting.

I wanted: Ability to customise the homepage with the bits of the 360 I use. Games, demos, link to my PC.
    I got: Ability to add individual items to a folder not on the homepage

You can't add the Demos section to Pins, you add one single demo. What's the point in that? They got it so right with Windows Mobile 7, I don't understand why they are being different when the two systems are based on the same tile concept!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      I notice the virtual keyboard is now QWERTY for everyone, not just those who signed up in the last few years.
      I will never, ever, EVER understand why companies adopt QWERTY for virtual keyboards. We only use this stupid bull**** system because the cockmonkey who invented the typewriter wanted to spell "typewriter" using only the top line of letters. It's got little to do with the keys sticking when pressed to close together - it was to foster brand awareness a hundred years ago. Fine - so we're stuck with it on keyboards. But you don't touch type on a virtual keyboard - you go through the alphabet. I am always tripped up using virtual keyboards, because my brain thinks "ABC" and then the pointer ends up on the other side of the screen by the time I remember.

*sigh*

Not unique to the 360. I just felt like ranting. QWERTY is bloody everywhere, and I hate it. Mobile phones. Game systems. It is a constant affront to my intelligence. It's akin to the government forcing me to wear my shoes on the wrong feet. It's just stupid.

The sad thing is, kids are going to increasingly think it the norm. Give it 50 years and the alphabet will be re-arranged from ABC to QWE. Except for the French. They'll be AZE.

Comment

The Xbox360 virtual keyboard has qwerty and abc options - it's switchable in the language options, it's had this option for as far back as I can remember switching it years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          The Xbox360 virtual keyboard has qwerty and abc options - it's switchable in the language options, it's had this option for as far back as I can remember switching it years ago.
          This. The 360 had long had the option for both so I don't know what all the whinging is about...

Comment

Yeah. My observation is that QWERTY is now the default. I had mine set to ABC and it got switched on the update.
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by mr_sockochris View Post
              This. The 360 had long had the option for both so I don't know what all the whinging is about...
              Old age I believe makes you 'whinge' more ...

Comment

Helpful chappie on Xbox forums told me to look for corrupted stuff. Internet Explorer and Happy Wars were both corrupt.
                So I deleted them, cleared cache and rebooted and tried to download my profile again. Still no joy

Looks like the update has killed my machine.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  Looks like the update has killed my machine.
                  Surely MS is responsible in some way for correcting this? Or is there small print which says that if they release an update, and it borks someone's hardware, they're not responsible?

Is there any avenue you can investigate with this - lodge a formal complaint or something?

Comment

As the head honcho of a popular gaming website, I hear you can get a free PS3 if you say you drink Mountain Dew or summat?

Comment

Have you tried recovering it to a USB stick with the hard drive removed?

Did you uninstall the dashboard also ? I've seen you pop online which is the weird thing too

Comment

How do I uninstall the dash? It puts me online for a sec after I try and download it.

Comment

How do I uninstall the dash? It puts me online for a sec after I try and download it.

Comment

I've checked, and no there isn't any such option. I checked under languages, and set it to English, but there's no option for ABC. I also checked Preferences, and every other option menu on the 360.

Are you sure this is still the case?

Comment

For those who are most comfortable with a traditional QWERTY keyboard layout and find the Xbox 360's default alphabetical virtual on-screen keyboard to be a little irritating, help has arrived. Our complete Xbox 360 keyboard configuration guide will walk you through the process of switching your on-screen keyboard from ABC to QWERTY. The process is quick and easy, you just have to enter the Xbox 360's Languages and Locale menu and change the language setting to English (QWERTY). Our complete guide has full details for accessing this menu and switching your default keyboard. The whole process can be completed in minutes and can save you hours of frustration. Use the keyboard you like best. It's your Xbox 360.

Just checked and it looks like the option has been removed with the new dashboard - which sucks for people who don't like the QWERTY layout. Explains Mayhem's observation.

Comment

All whinging is fully justified then in that case! Why on earth they would remove the ABC keyboard is simply puzzling...

Comment

Working...
                                X