Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of notes -

Ico - a 60hz mode on the PAL version too. Truly definitive ^^

Bangai-o(h) DC - PAL version does actually have a 60hz mode, bcass. Another thing to consider if tossing up between US & PAL DC versions is that risqu? story elements (& certain in-game screens) were edited out of the US release - whereas not for the PAL.

This is an excellent idea, I must say. I'll contribute when I have more time...

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieg
      Bangai-o(h) DC - PAL version does actually have a 60hz mode, bcass. Another thing to consider if tossing up between US & PAL DC versions is that risqu? story elements (& certain in-game screens) were edited out of the US release - whereas not for the PAL.
      The story bits make this game for me, I have the PAL DC version and it is a real hoot! I laugh every time when going to the advice kiosk or meeting a boss. If they had toned it down it would just spoil it for me, it looks like Treasure really had a laugh making this game.

Comment

I also remember reading in Edge that for the PAL release of ICO they tweaked the AI for Yorda so she was a bit more logical in running towards ICO when you call her.

I can't vouch for this myself having only played the PAL version but it sounds like another positive vote for the PAL version.

Comment

The main thing to note about the bias towards the N64 version of Bangaioh is that the gameplay is simply more expansive than all the DC versions. Also, I was told that the PAL version didn't have 60Hz, but if you say it does, then I'll edit my post.

So, we'd be looking at something like this:

Winner - N64 version - due to increased gameplay elements, more attractive packaging, the Ltd nature of the release (rumoured to be approx. 10,000), and better controls.

Runner-up PAL DC version[/b] - due to the English translation being unedited, unlike the US DC version.

Comment

Back on VF4 Evo, the US one has some wicked art on the disc. And don't forget that if you're not already a pro, the fantastic trial/tutorial modes are translated on the western ones.

And I liked Brad's black shirt...

Comment

I thought Brad's shirt was red, and Faded's right Venessa has been butched up so that her offensive workout costume was removed.

Comment

Skies of Arcadia - DC
                The US version supports VGA and runs in 60Hz, while the PAL version doesn't do either. The US version doesn't support RGB however. Personally I'd opt for the US version, but it isn't necessarily the obvious decision. Feel free to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by Peet
                  Skies of Arcadia - DC
                  The US version supports VGA and runs in 60Hz, while the PAL version doesn't do either. The US version doesn't support RGB however. Personally I'd opt for the US version, but it isn't necessarily the obvious decision. Feel free to argue.
                  patched US DC version would be best then... but how does it compare to the GCN version? I don't know anyone who has played both, but you'd expect it to be better. Supports RGB too.

Comment

Surely we can't include patches in these comparison's? Thats just daft.

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                      Skies of Arcadia - DC
                      patched US DC version would be best then... but how does it compare to the GCN version? I don't know anyone who has played both, but you'd expect it to be better. Supports RGB too.
                      A patched backup won't be perfect either, since it comes on 2 GD-ROMs. Details here.

I don't know much about the GC version. Technically it's a different game, so I'm not sure if it should count.

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                        Skies of Arcadia - DC

I've played the DC version extensively and a good bit of the GC version. Looks wise nothing really jumps out at me as hugely different. I'd give it to the GC version just for the extras and the slightly less infuriating random battle rate.

Comment

Can someone do Mobile Lightforce?

Comment

Final Fantasy X

The contenders:

J-NTSC - original release with bonus disc
                            US-NTSC
                            PAL - original release with bonus disc
                            'International' J-NTSC - with (different) bonus disc
                            'International' J-NTSC (Asia)

Eliminate the PAL version immediately - an atrocious conversion that should never have seen the light of day, bonus disc notwithstanding. The original Japanese release stands out as the choice for the purist collector, but difficult for non-Japanese-literate players. The US version, however, is outclassed by the Japanese 'International' version, which contains all of its extra content (and more besides) as well as the option to switch text between Japanese and English. The surprisingly good English dialogue track is by no means a terrible drawback here. The Asian release - despite being cheaper and very easy to find, suffers slightly from the absence of the bonus disc and the removal of the Japanese text option.

Winner: 'International' J-NTSC (Japanese release)
                            Runner-up: J-NTSC (Original release)

S.

Comment

Not really contributing here but just wanted to say... fantastic idea for a thread...

Keep this as a sticky for a long time!

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyWrench
                                Not sure if they were limited editions or not, but what about Konami's PAL PS2 releases such as Silent Hill 2 (in a gatefold style cardboard case) and MGS2? They both came with making of extras (I believe ZOE2 comes with an extra disk, but it seems to be limited edition). Not sure if there's anything to differentiate gameplay between regions, but I'd say that definitely makes these games a high priority purchase for fans. But then again, with MGS2 you have the option of Substance which as we all know comes with all kinds of gameplay extras, and Silent Hill 2 Directors Cut with an extra storyline, so it's a tough call. There's also differences between the various formats, such as the Xbox version of SH2 featuring slightly improved graphics and quicker loading times. Hmm, I don't think I can actually select a definative version, any thoughts?
                                How does the Xbox version of Silent Hill 2 compare to the Jap PS2 version of Silent Hill 2: Saigo no Uta which I've got?

Comment

Working...
                                X