No announcement yet.

Earth Defence Force: Insect Armageddon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was the working title. Never got released outside of Japan but it's pretty import friendly anyway.

Comment

Hmm. Does it have enemies filling the screen and big baddies?

Comment

Hell yes. It's very similar to EDF except it's fantasy based, full of giants, dragons etc...

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
        Last edited by Kaladron; 04-09-2010, 20:56.

Comment

D'aww man, so happy. New EDF!

Hope this one'll match Global Defence Force for variety and epic moments, some bits of that game were just freaking astounding.

Comment

I'm excited about this too as the series sounds right up my street!

I fancy trying 2017, but forking out about ?20 without co-op (which seems its most amusing mode from anecdotal eveidence) seems a little silly.

I hope all of the ticklists mentioned on here make the new EDF, but mainly co-op!

I have to mention I've been playing Lost Planet 2 since release in April and it's got:
            Merging mechs
            Screen-filling aliens
            4-player co-op
            Dozens of aliens at a time
            dozens of weapons (some humourously humungous)
            Loads of levels
            Variety of difficulties
            Really varied locations
            Gorgeous graphics
            ?20 price

I love LP2 so much and I really want other people to experience the magic!
            Doesn't sound a million miles away from the EDF games...

Comment

You need to play an EDF game, QC. It's like Godzilla, Them, every cheesy monster movie and invasion movie you've every seen rolled into a game where the object of every level is to kill everything on it. It's right up your street. Playing it single player is still great - it also means you have the full screen of vision! Plus you haven't done co-op so you'll not feel as dragged down without it had you played it.

It's way different to LP. LP is a technical powerhouse, with polish, smoothness and fancy explosions. EDF is a rough and ready doozy that grabs you in an entirely different way. Forget the comparison - on a technical level you'll sneer and laugh at EDF after playing LP. The aim of EDF is pure, exhilarating mayhem, and total fun - flaws are plentiful, yet simply don't matter. The imagination shown in EDF2 blows so many big games out of the water.

EDF has dozens of weapons - assault rifles, rocket launchers, missile launchers, homing missiles, snipers, bombs, grenades, turrets - all with about 5-10 models of each type, with different rates of fire, reload rates, strengths, weaknesses. The vehicles are **** - don't even bother!

I've played LP1, and it's technically far, far beyond EDF. But I'd say I am far more exhilarated when playing EDF. That moment when the ants notice you, and they scuttle down from the buildings and swarm towards you, and you're firing into this heaving sea of horrors rushing towards you... It's almost like the best bits of Starship Troopers - just insects running towards you, here, there and everywhere. Not for one second playing LP1 did I feel like I could make any comparisons with EDF, apart from superficial similarities. The gameplay, feel, set-up, is just totally different.

It's so tactical, too. There are no linear 'levels' like on LP games. It's usually a big area - that may be a beach. Or a canyon. Or hills and valleys. Or a city. You go wherever you want, you decide the strategy, it's non-linear. You see 2 swarms in front of you. Do you risk firing at them, attracting the attention of both? Or do you flank to the left and chip away at one swarm from the side?

On one level, nameless so as not to spoil, we were having trouble with it on inferno (hardest) difficulty. It featured a city with 'bug holes' spawning endless spiders, red ants and black ants. We tried all sorts of tactics and weapon combos, trying to outflank various bug holes, skimming from street to street, all ended in failure. Until we hit jackpot. We stood still at the start of the level. One of us equipped 2 rocket launchers, the other two turrets. Rocket launcher guy levelled ALL the buildings in the distance, revealing the bug holes at ground level. He took pot shots at them from the safety of the other player, who deployed his turrets on a rotating basis to tackle the onrushing, furious, swarms. This wasn't a set tactic for this level. Just one that we engineered that worked for us. Other players would have found success in the tactics we rejected. That's the beauty of it - no sweet spots, no contrived 'must-do' strategies. Just kill everything on the level in whatever way you can.

Check out these reviews, they say everything that needs to be said, esp the 'cons' section of Mr Brats Overton's review:

For less than twenty notes (if you shop around), if you don't get it you're cutting off your nob to spite your bollocks.
              Last edited by prinnysquad; 04-09-2010, 23:19.

Comment

Another great review featured here

Comment

Originally posted by Kaladron View Post
                  Anyone here played Zangeki No Reginleiv on Wii? It makes all the improvements that EDF 2017 should have made... I'm sure this new one will be ace, since they clearly have the framework sorted already.
                  Zangeki No Reginleiv NSTC-uk review imminent.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    I fancy trying 2017, but forking out about ?20 without co-op (which seems its most amusing mode from anecdotal eveidence) seems a little silly.
                    You could always see if a store has one close to you (or order a copy online)
                    http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=5060125481417

Comment

Awesome news! EDF 2017 is one of my top 10 360 games, maybe even top 5; and thats without even touching the co-op.

Comment

One of my favourite games on 360

very glad to hear a sequel is coming

Comment

The need to keep the comedy dialogue.

"The rookie's been killed!"

"Fatty's been killed!"

"I don't like you ... but I'll fight with you..."

Oh, and they need to keep the dead bodies that fly away like polystyrene.

Comment

Edf! Edf! Edf!

Comment

It was clearly Storm 1 that was the real winner, not EDF !

What a game, hours spent playing this, when I finally got 1000/1000.... ahhh good days !

"Come in HQ. This is Scout Four. The Mothership has moved to this location. We've also discovered a four-legged fighter robot."
                              "What do you mean 'four-legged weapon'?"
                              "This is HQ. All troops, begin your assault. Destroy the four-legged walking weapon."

“The Aliens are deploying Giant Bugs all over the World, They are eating the civilians!! We have to stop them!”

Best game ever, and news of a possible sequel ...... that's 2011 sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by kendra View Post
                                “The Aliens are deploying Giant Bugs all over the World, They are eating the civilians!! We have to stop them!”
                                really wish I hadn't missed this game

Comment

Working...
                                X