Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
    Thanks, but I think I'll rephrase:
    Does the fact that you're never going to play all the games you want to, annoy? Discuss!
    Not at all. As long as I enjoy that time it doesn't bother me.

There are more books I'd like to read than there are games unplayed but I'd don't sacrifice my current gaming time for reading time as I don't feel the pay off is worth the effort. It could be argued that the time I spend playing games is a waste - in many respects I agree it is, but I enjoy that time all the same. That's the point, it's the enjoyment of the present, not just fulfilling a tick list.

Comment

If you're thinking you're missing out, then the adverts are doing their job!

Entitlement anxiety is all about you feel like you're missing out if you've not got everything you think you should have.

"Life. Book Now" says Lastminute dot com. There are loads of other ads that make you feel like life is passing you by if you're not doing something, preferably their something. Because you're worth it.

I've not seen The Wire, Sopranos, Fringe, The West Wing, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and loads of other TV shows because I can't commit the time to watching them. Nor have I seen them in HD despite Sky telling me shows are "even better" in HD.

The trick is to enjoy what you have without worry about what you don't. You don't read a book thinking, "I wish I was reading the new Stephen King book" or at the Multiplex thinking "I wonder what's happening in the screen next door?". You don't lie on the beach on holiday thinking "I wish I was at a theme park".

If you like getting a new game and playing it online, that's great, but stop looking at other games and thinking you should be playing those instead. I rarely buy a full-price game because I try my hardest to play one game at a time and, as already mentioned, new games have dropped in price by the time you get around to playing them.

I'm annoyed at myself for splashing out on a recent MS Live sale and increasing the backlog. I'm only just playing Bioshock 2 that I had as a present from launch and I still have Batman:AA from my lovely Secret Santa because I want to commit to it.

I really don't want to be a gaming grazer!

I'm no psychologist, but do you think that it's a viscious cycle?
      Buying stuff makes you happy > you have too much stuff > you get frustrated that you can't use it all > you go shopping because that made you happy.

Comment

I understand your feelings, Alex, I feel the same way about books and music and can't possibly read and listen to everything I want to without neglecting other activities. The only sensible solution is to focus on the cream of the crop.

As far as videogames are concerned I usually have the opposite problem, there aren't enough new releases that appeal to me to fill in the time I am in the mood to game, so I usually end up playing games I already own and enjoy, both single and multiplayer, over and over and over again. It's an unfortunate cosequence that by becoming a fussy gamer, I'm become quite a boring one too.

Comment

Working...
        X