Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, capacitive screen is a must in today's market. Even my Mum has a phone that has a capacitive screen.

One thing positive I'm certain I read is that the Wii-U now supports 2 tablet controllers whereas it was previously going to only support 1.

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
    The Nintendo fanboys will be out in force, but I think that their recent hardware record has taught a lot of previous "day one" people to be a bit more circumspect before investing. All the more reason to encourage early adopters, IMO. If they play it safe too often they run the risk of attracting little more than consumer indifference.
    Yup, I bought the absolute tosh that was their last machine, I won't be making that mistake again!

Comment

Frankly I wonder if it matters. Capicitive feels nice and luxurious on a smartphone but Wii U is not aiming exactly at the same audience. Don't think it's necessary for a toy tbh. Kiddies aren't going to know the difference when they're excitedly jabbing away at it. Besides, aren't resistive screens meant to be more robust and knockabout, and also better able to survive spillages, etc.? Better all round for kiddies, I'd say, especially if it keeps price down.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
        ^ say what, Apple have patented multi-touch?!
        It's Apple. Of course they have. They're patent-tastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
          It's Apple. Of course they have. They're patent-tastic.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Apple...t-243281.shtml
          ****ers. I'm glowering at my iphone now. I deserve to be mugged.

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
            Not really. People are used to capacitive screens now, so many of their target market would see a resistive screen as a bit of a step backwards. A stylus is a barrier between user and device/interface that few would be willing to go back to after hours of noodling on their iPads, etc. Nintendo must have quite a war chest built up by now, so it could make sense in the long-term to dip into their savings or take a short-term hit on the hardware until component prices stabilise and the console becomes profitable. Launching the Wii U with a resistive touch screen makes the interface look old hat now, so imagine what public perception of the console will be like in five years.
            This.

Also, I think that a resistive/capacitive screen does make a significant difference to gameplay.

Do you remember trying to operate the DS's touchscreen using only your thumbs? Half the time it wouldn't register a press - you need to press pretty hard to get any response at all. And then it's woefully inaccurate. (I always had to resort to jabbing it with a thumbnail whenever any precision was needed.)

That alone has a fairly big effect on gameplay... and then there's the multitouch problem as well.

Comment

Anyone remember, what screens did the E3 prototype/demo ones have?

Comment

Originally posted by Tig View Post
                and then there's the multitouch problem as well.
                Forget what I said about a multi-touch panel, and all the innovations it could bring to games such as Zelda, Metroid and Pikmin. It's probably too much for the average core gamer who relies on dual sticks for control to handle properly anyway, without complaining it's 'broken'. The kids/casuals such as myself could handle it, though.

Comment

Surely it's simply going to use a larger version of the screen the 3DS uses on it's lower screen? It's not multi touch but it's more than responsive enough. Also, frankly, I doubt most people give a flying monkey about multi-touch just as they don't care about touch screen controls in general. If the game asks them to draw a line they'll draw a line etc they won't sit there bemoaning the ability to draw two lines at the same time. Time and time again it's been proven that the tech-head generation doesn't matter when it comes to what sells. The reality is most people won't give a toss about the touch screen... or frankly, using the controller screen instead of the TV in general. In the end it'll just be a big standard controller.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                    Also, frankly, I doubt most people give a flying monkey about multi-touch just as they don't care about touch screen controls in general. If the game asks them to draw a line they'll draw a line etc they won't sit there bemoaning the ability to draw two lines at the same time.
                    What if the game asks them to draw two lines? Or to cast an area-of-effect spell somewhere on the landscape? Or to select a group of Pikmin, or even multiple groups at once?

I think there's a lot of scope there.

Comment

It's not the multitouch that's the issue. It's having to press down on a resistive screen. It's a crap experience. However, the screen isn't the only input on that controller so if they literally just use it for pressing to choose items and stuff there's probably no need for anything better.

Comment

Id take a decent dpad and analogue stick over touch screen for proper gaming any day of the week, the WiiU controller looks like an interesting middle ground, but resistive? keep walking nintendo.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                          Also, frankly, I doubt most people give a flying monkey about multi-touch just as they don't care about touch screen controls in general. If the game asks them to draw a line they'll draw a line etc they won't sit there bemoaning the ability to draw two lines at the same time. Time and time again it's been proven that the tech-head generation doesn't matter when it comes to what sells. The reality is most people won't give a toss about the touch screen... or frankly, using the controller screen instead of the TV in general. In the end it'll just be a big standard controller.

Um... people don't care about touchscreens?

I thought the whole world had gone bonkers for touchscreens during the last few years. Just look at the iPad's barmy success.

I think touchscreens in general are a big, big deal- particularly for the casual audience. I actually think it's very smart of Nintendo to try to combine the console experience with the barn-door simplicity of an iPad.

But I suspect that even the casual market will be able to tell the difference between a capacitive screen and a resistive one.
                          The Wii U's screen will feel very unresponsive compared to any other modern device.... and that may not be a minor problem, given the supposed importance of "user experience" to Apple's mainstream success.

(That said, you're probably right about multi-touch being a non-issue. I've yet to play a game on my phone which uses it for anything besides dodgy button emulation, which the Wii U thankfully won't need.)
                          Last edited by Tig; 08-01-2012, 13:17.

Comment

Has nintendo given any further updates as to when we will see the Wii-U? Is it likely to be crimbo this year, with solid announcements at the upcoming E3? I have not kept track of this.

Comment

No further updates but Xmas this year looks likely. Announcements will probably be made at E3.

Comment

Good stuff, cheers Randicoot

Comment

Working...
                                X