Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot Wings 64 was a system seller, but Wii Sports wasn't/isn't?

Comment

No I am not trolling!

Did you buy the Wii for Wii Sports??

I think it might have got a lot of people into consoles/gaming, but I never saw it as a real system seller (in my eyes) and nor did any of my mates.
      I have only played it once pissed up with friends over, never put it on again. In fact only just found it the other day in my sons Fisher Price CD player that he had 3 years ago!
      Didn't even realise it was missing.

But I guess you're right, it probably sold millions of consoles, just to a different demographic.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
        You're trolling surely!?

I reckon Wii Sports is the biggest system seller there has ever been in videogame history. 95 million Wii consoles sold, the vast majority off the back of Wii sports.
        This ^^

Comment

It was partially a reason I got one. Tennis is still great.

Comment

I guess gaming has changed though, I am 40 and until the PS2 I was considered a Nerd to be into gaming. It was still all a bit Dungeons & Dragons for most people.

So to me, system sellers were the titles that we read about in magasines for for 2 years before the launch, the ones that built you up to the point where you just had to have that game even if it meant plonking down ?800 to buy a system and 'that' game.

Wii sports certainly didn't do that for me!

But yeah, I guess you're all right.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              Pilot Wings 64 was a system seller, but Wii Sports wasn't/isn't?

Can I ask how old you are?

To me the thought of a new Pilot Wings was beyond anything I can describe, but then I was 15 when I got my Super Famicon and Pilot Wings and spent the Christmas holidays doing nothing but playing that and Mario World, so to me it held seriously nostalgic memories as well as being a showcase of a 64bit system when it launched on the N64.

If you were 15 when say...Xbox launched and hammered Halo that might be the same for you?

We would all consider different games 'system sellers' before a launch as it is very personal, there is a difference between what sells a system to you and looking back what sold a system. IMHO of course.

Comment

Ok now the dust has settled and im starting to look at the Wii U with a slightly more optimistic view, Nintendo some how manage to try and spoli things by haveing no idea about the online world, the link below says it all

Messages posted to Miiverse, Nintendo's suite of Wii U social functions, could face a delay of around 30 minutes to app…

I really, really hope this is just a bull**** idea because if they do insist on this then Nintendo really are crazy.

Comment

Mario and Pilot Wings sold the N64 to me... and to around a handful of other people I knew. In general it was never a system seller. The 'core gamer' (lol) only cared about the PSX at the time.

I'm 31 btw, and I hated Halo until it semi-shifted focus to vs. multiplayer - thus I didn't own an Xbox until late 2004. When it came to obsessing over Mario 64 and Pilot Wings prior to launch, don't even go there! I spent months worshiping the NMS JP launch feature, fantasising over owning every controller colour, which I fulfilled after starting work shortly after domestic launch.
                  Last edited by dataDave; 07-06-2012, 10:38.

Comment

Rayman Legends David Martinez has hinted that Nintendo might be sticking with its usual November japanese launch date for WiiU

GamesRadar+ takes you closer to the games, movies and TV you love.

Industry commentators say the WiiU lacks a killer app and needed to give more details but could capitalise on gamers frustatrations about waiting for the next-gen to arrive.

Comment

I do see gIzze's point about Wii sports. However, I knew that I would buy a Wii, for all the usual Ninty stuff. What Wii Sports did was get me buying it on day one. In that sense it was a system seller for this 'hardcore' gamer (who bought a PS3 for MGS4) but yes, it was also a system seller for non-gamers; a compelling reason to own a Wii for gamers and non-gamers alike. Amazing job by Nintendo there. Doesn't look like Wii U will repeat that success. no non-gamers I know are even aware of its existence and I'm sure will be uninterested when they do.

Comment

I have to agree with the consensus that Wii Sports was one of the best system sellers ever in that it opened up a whole new market for Nintendo. As a 'core' gamer then yeah, it was a nice bonus in the box rather than a game I personally would have bought off the shelf.
                        I get your point that you see a system seller as something you read about and look forward to for years. Other than Halo I can't think of any recent example but then the industry has changed a lot since then.

I'd argue that at the moment WiiU has one of the least interesting launch lineups ever, but then I haven't looked into this TankTankTank thing yet

Comment

Wii Sports was definitely a system seller, someone would play that at a friends, then go and buy a Wii. Simple.

As Pete says, I don't think other than Halo there was really a killer launch app this and last gen ps2/Gamecube/PS3/360

Maybe Rogue Leader for the US/Euro launch of Gamecube

They were all bought with the knowledge of knowing what was coming.
                          Last edited by EvilBoris; 07-06-2012, 10:54.

Comment

Im still convinced that the mainstream consumer is going to be confused by the Wii U

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post

I'd argue that at the moment WiiU has one of the least interesting launch lineups ever, but then I haven't looked into this TankTankTank thing yet
                              That is the one game I am looking forward to.
                              I pumped about ?30 into that the other day at the bowling alley, it was meant to be a quick go while waiting, but we ended up on it for over an hour.
                              Great fun!

Comment

I hope Namco bring Dead Heat out as well, that was the other game that we played and really liked, and some motorbike game as well, powerslides on a bike is always fun!

Comment

Working...
                                X