No announcement yet.

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution - The generations best 3d fighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was quite impressed with the quick go I had of the PS2 version. Is it the best fighter though? Hmm...I still think I need more time with it and SC2 so I won't commit.

DOA3 a contender? *hahaha*

Anyway...VF4E. Very close to VF4. Was hoping for maybe a tad more's difference but I guess SC2 is just as guilty.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext
      I was quite impressed with the quick go I had of the PS2 version. Is it the best fighter though? Hmm...I still think I need more time with it and SC2 so I won't commit.

Anyway...VF4E. Very close to VF4. Was hoping for maybe a tad more's difference but I guess SC2 is just as guilty.
      Sorry man but Evo is a totally different game to VF4 - so much in fact that they could have branded it VF5 if they felt to. The difference between VF4 and VF4 Evo is as marked as the difference between VF2 and VF3 (or VF3 to VF4) - your whole play style has to change and every single character has had a serious overhaul/revision.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
        Originally posted by crazytaxinext

Sorry man but Evo is a totally different game to VF4 - so much in fact that they could have branded it VF5 if they felt to. The difference between VF4 and VF4 Evo is as marked as the difference between VF2 and VF3 (or VF3 to VF4) - your whole play style has to change and every single character has had a serious overhaul/revision.
        But, the stage backgrounds are the same.

The backgrounds!

Clearly it isn't a different game

Comment

Right you've all whet my appetite. I can't afford to mod my PS2 yet but I'm getting the PAL version come June.

In the meantime, which PAL fighter would you recommend on the PS2 / Xbox? Remember that I've always shyed away from these types of games, preferring drunken button bashing when I'm forced to...

And what arcade sticks are people using, I'm thinking of getting the one from GAME (Xbox or PS2).

Comment

I suppose it's a bit like Winning Eleven 6 to Winning Eleven 6 Final Evolution - they don't change very much but if you know the game well then you notice the differences straight away and can appreciate the tweaks they make to make the game better.

Comment

Originally posted by superkully
              And what arcade sticks are people using, I'm thinking of getting the one from GAME (Xbox or PS2).
              You want to get the Hori SC2 arcade stick. Although it isn't as good for VF4 evo as the official stick, it can be used for more games (such as Street Fighter, Soul Calibur etc), and the build quality is first class.

Comment

Anything by Hori or ASCII is wicked

I've used teh ol' grey Namco stick, the official Evo stick and the Hori Tekken 4 (same as SC2 stick) - all are wicked!

Comment

Theres some prick on the Gaming Age forum who is insisting on undermining my review and insisting that the difference between Evo and VF4 isn`t that big. He reckons that the difference between SC1 and SC2, is significantly larger (no ****ing way). Each character on SC1 and 2 play almost exactly the same for the exception of a couple of moves. Of course, each character has a new set-up or two, but it isn`t anything radical at all. All players I know who have made the transition between SC1 and SC2 found the basics and almost everything to be the same.

Contrast that with Evo., where if you look at how they`ve given characters like Jacky and Kage in particularly a pretty radical overhaul, and the players who used them in VF4, now have to use them a fair bit differently in Evo.

Comment

But, the stage backgrounds are the same.

The backgrounds!

Clearly it isn't a different game
                    The backgrounds are different?! Same area but different colour schemes and seasons(kage stage)

Comment

Originally posted by Tokuda
                      Theres some prick on the Gaming Age forum who is insisting on undermining my review and insisting that the difference between Evo and VF4 isn`t that big. He reckons that the difference between SC1 and SC2, is significantly larger (no ****ing way). Each character on SC1 and 2 play almost exactly the same for the exception of a couple of moves. Of course, each character has a new set-up or two, but it isn`t anything radical at all. All players I know who have made the transition between SC1 and SC2 found the basics and almost everything to be the same.

Contrast that with Evo., where if you look at how they`ve given characters like Jacky and Kage in particularly a pretty radical overhaul, and the players who used them in VF4, now have to use them a fair bit differently in Evo.
                      You actually acknowledge Gaming-Age?

Dont bother - those idiots love nothing more than to chat **** about everything they hate about games and slagging off everything in development rather than enjoying what's available now.

Your review is excellent, the attitudes of most gamers on those forums is the problem. People with no patience, skill or drive to learn new skills and enjoy this type of game properly can just **** off back to Fifa.

Comment

Originally posted by superkully
                        Right you've all whet my appetite. I can't afford to mod my PS2 yet but I'm getting the PAL version come June.

In the meantime, which PAL fighter would you recommend on the PS2 / Xbox? Remember that I've always shyed away from these types of games, preferring drunken button bashing when I'm forced to...

for 3D you can do no better than VF4 itself, probably pick it up quite cheap now. 2D I would recommend either guilty gear x2 or capcom vs snk 2.

Comment

I was training up for hours last night ^^

Had LOADS of work to do but....

Learning nuff Nu-Skool Akira, can get Stun Palm Of Doom 100% of the time on player 1 side and about 80% on player 2 side. FINALLY able to Dragon Lance on my VF4 Evo stick 100% of the time on both sides BABY!

Combo I made up: PK cancel 42 P+K 44+K PK cancel, into 2 hits of the Dragon Lance, K+G P 2 K+G 4 K 46 P

Optimus blud - you up for some on Friday? And you Trojan - you need a good kicking!
                          (any of you other pink fluffy fromage frais eating wimps are welcome too! )

Comment

Learning nuff Nu-Skool Akira, can get Stun Palm Of Doom 100% of the time on player 1 side and about 80% on player 2 side. FINALLY able to Dragon Lance on my VF4 Evo stick 100% of the time on both sides BABY!
                            Why is that? When I was playing VF4 last year, I could properly do the SPOD on P1 side whenever I felt like busting it out for fun. However, as soon as I stepped over to P2 side I became completely inept.

And the Dragon Lance combo. Is that the 3+G+K, 6+P, 466+P+K move? If so that's the move that stopped me playing VF4. I tried for 2 weeks to get that move down and managaed to perform it about 3 times. I gave up crying

Comment

Tell you what it is with me

Depending which side I'm throwing the move at I use different force with my wrist. So yesterday I practiced doing both the SPOD and Dragon Lance (3K+G 6P 466P+K) using absolutely minimal effort and just the central travel of the joystick (not ever touching the edges)

I find that this way I can be faster as less distance is covered by the stick.

SPOD on player 2 side is harder for right handed people due to the fact that it's easier to push the 4 3 P+G with your thumb>palm than pulling the motion as in player 2 side. But with this new style I got last night it's dead certain to work every time.

The hardest move in VF is blatantly Akira's Knee - look at the command and you'll laugh at how easy it looks....then you try it....

Comment

Tell you what it is with me

Depending which side I'm throwing the move at I use different force with my wrist. So yesterday I practiced doing both the SPOD and Dragon Lance (3K+G 6P 466P+K) using absolutely minimal effort and just the central travel of the joystick (not ever touching the edges)

I find that this way I can be faster as less distance is covered by the stick.

SPOD of player 2 side is harder for right handed people due to the fact that it's easier to push the 4 3 P+G with your thumb>palm than pulling the motion as in player 2 side. But with this new style I got night night it's dead certain to work every time.

The hardest move in VF is blatantly Akira's Knee - look at the command and you'll laugh at how easy it looks....then you try it....
                                Right, I see what you mean. Whenever I play using the stick I'm not exactly subtle. perhaps if I try to use travel when performing the move I may be able to get the the final 466+P+K done in time.

Yeah, the knee is laughable. Lifting the G button within 1/60th of a second is a joke. I just brush my fingers over the buttons lightly and hope to pull it off. but it's quite a decent little launcher though so I'd like to be able to perform it more consistently.

Comment

Working...
                                X