No announcement yet.

Summer of Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely screens of MSR. The only downside to using the VGA box when playing MSR is it does show some horrendous jaggies - the part with the brick road on the London track. Quite impressed though with how the car models still look; I don't remember them being that good!

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
    I'm just using the silver VGA box for mine and those are taken off the Samsung 3D HDTV
    The one with the red LED, ctn? That's the one I went with.
    Last edited by Kit; 08-06-2012, 15:48.

Comment

I hope MSR gets a remake once. Its the best and most challenging game in the series, but the first PGR had the lovely 60fps thing going for it. And the awesome ticking sound of the kudos ofcourse.

Comment

Did you guys know that MSR was originally called PGR? It's true.

Comment

I found a Dreamcast in my outhouse over the weekend!

I was having a clear out and the stuff I found was mad...

Jap Dreamcast modded
          PSone chipped
          US SNES
          Super Famicom
          US N64
          Silver PS2
          Mega drive (Aisan model I think? switched anyway.)
          Game cube (wire sticking out of the side so chipped but the board that was stuck to the side is missing.
          Nintendo DS
          Nintendo DS lite
          Doctor V64
          Doctor V64 Jnr 512meg
          A prototype Doctor Jnr sent by Bung Industries back in the day (My mate used to sell and distribute Doctor V64 through Madeira Games where I worked for a while between jobs, hence getting one of the prototypes)
          A box full of scart cables, vga cables, pads, multitaps, psx games, hu cards.

And then found a box of SNES carts all boxed, but they were all damaged, boxes were mush and most of the carts don't work.

Then an N64 box of games too, but again, boxes damaged but not too bad but some carts won't boot.

I had a massive clear out about 5 years ago, and sold all my retro stuff, but forgot that I kept some faves.

But going to boot the DC over the weekend and have a play. I was the one who worked out how to RGB/VGA the Jap DC when it was launched, told someone of IRC called Ryu and he then took the credit!! haha

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            Did you guys know that MSR was originally called PGR? It's true.
            I didn't know. I think "Project Gotham" Racing had one of the worst titles to make it from a project code-word to the shelves. The name alone meant absolutely nothing at all really, had as much meaning as calling in Donkey Testicles Racing.

Comment

At least Donkey Testicles Racing would raise a smile. When Bizarre first mentioned to me that they were working on a new game called Project Gotham for Sega I thought they meant Saturn. They did actually think about porting their F-1 game over. I had no idea they were making it for Dreamcast since it hadn't been announced publicly. They also had another car based game in development where you drove around a city shooting things while doing big jumps. This may have just been some sort of concept or physics test though, not an actual game for release.

Comment

I thought the Project Gotham name only came about because it was a play on superhero city names (Metropolis = Superman / Gotham = Batman) because Sega owned the MSR name?

Comment

Quite impressed though with how the car models still look; I don't remember them being that good!
                  Some look better than others , also unlike GT 3 and many other racers (of the time) this had polygon drivers and even working brake disc claps ECT. Had it on the other day and the backgrounds still look really impressive , its just a shame the game was really hurt by piss poor loading time

Comment

Not tried anything out this weekend as been busy, however had a look into what homebrew stuff has been done on this and it's quite good... excellent even if you really like Beats of Rage variants

Comment

I played Pen Pen last night Silly, colourful, fun!

I tried playing hydro thunder....no VGA support

Comment

I know Still can't get the VGA trick to work for it, gonna have to invest in an S-Video cable

Comment

This would be something I'd be really up for if it wasn't for the amount of games for current-gen systems coming out this summer. Having said that, playing Jet Set Radio HD (and maybe Shenmue HD too?) will be my own little nod to this amazing console

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                            I know Still can't get the VGA trick to work for it, gonna have to invest in an S-Video cable
                            There are revised USA versions of the midway titles that do work under VGA, titled "all star" versions.

Comment

I'll have a look for that, also found a download for a program which apparently forces VGA on the DC too, hopefully that will sort some out though so far most seem to run fine. Managed to try out some bits last night after tinkering with the homebrew scene.

First up (Can you guess what it is without scrolling down?)

Yeah! It's Dynamite Cop!

"Hmm? What's down here?"

"Disco time, baby!"

And... it's...

Beneath a Steel Sky

Sound skips a little but generally not too bad a conversion

Megaman: War of Power (BOR)

And finally, the came closest to our websites soul...

Remember the good old days when you weren't a real game unless you had copious amounts of lens flare?

Unhappy with my performance, the sergeant found her kicks with someone else

Comment

WTF? Is that guy trying to bum her or summing? And when the frick did BASS come out for the Dreamcast, is that via Scumm?

Comment

Working...
                                X