No announcement yet.

Cyberpunk 2077

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, it looks nice but personally not transformatively nice over the pre-existing RT available. It's not a knock against the game and its visuals, just that the justification for the expense of a new GPU isn't there. I'd totally agree with waiting out on a future card. With the way software development and cross-gen is going there's very little to no reason at all to engage with the 40XX series of cards unless your existing card is so old you would be looking to update anyway and even then...

I'm not convinced at all that we'll see software worthy of paying out for a high powered GPU until the 60XX series is looming

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      RTX Portal, Quake 2 RTX, Minecraft RTX are path traced I think, but the wider point is this will be something that isn't just 1 or 2 games in five years time.
      Indeed.

Although those games you mentioned are curios at best. Quake II is amazing, Minecraft had me going back to Java Edition with shaders and mods, and I’ve not tried Portal yet (why not!?). As said TW3 was disappointing, and also had me rolling back my installation.

I think that Lego game looked pretty nifty with all the natural shine on the blocks and stuff. I should get that maybe.

I’m really hoping for Capcom or some other reputable developer to join the frolics. I wanted DOOM Eternal but decided to boycott it over their treatment of Mick Gorden. I might yaarrr it.

Comment

I fired it up on my trusty pc and got a whopping 15fps. I can get it up to a more stable 30ish if everything else is turned way down.
        Performance aside, it looks great. Very rich and moody. Does it make me want a 4090? Nope.

Comment

I’m not sure a 4090 (or card that sort of power and size) would even fit in my case. My PSU would be absolutely fine with anything thrown at it.

Comment

No one really needs a 4090, or even a 4080.

One of the problems we've seen grow in the PC market is that of elitism pushed quite a lot by a number of YouTube influencers and the way they represent PC hardware. Hardware Unboxed is particularly guilty of this and to a lesser degree Gamers Nexus.

I'm sure that this has contributed to the gradual moving of the average point on the acceptable performance charts. Now it seems that unless you're getting 150+ FPS in all the games, the cards aren't good enough - this is complete BS.

You can quite happily get by on a GTX 1080 Ti (and these can be had for peanuts now) - the RX 6500 was hammered as a bad card because it only had 4 PCIe lanes (and I bagged on that card when it first launched too), but on a PCIe gen 4 mobo, it runs absolutely fine making it a perfectly acceptable entry point for low-end gaming. An RX 6600 does represent a step up - but this all needs to be taken in the context of budget.

We shouldn't be expecting god-tier performance on lower-end cards, and yet we put them up against RTX 4080/4090 RX 7900 XTX on these performance charts and the impression is they're so much worse and so not worth buying (and hence the card tiers getting more and more expensive with these expectations).

Get an Intel ARC A750 - these are a bargain at £250
            Last edited by MartyG; 13-04-2023, 12:58.

Comment

Not read much on the Intel cards, they seemed to have a lot of issues on launch that’s been mostly ironed out, what are they equivalent too on the nvidia/amd side?

Comment

The A750 is roundabout RTX 3060 performance. It has better RT surprisingly. I've seen this card at £220 on Overlockers.co.uk

Comment

Good bang for buck there then, are intel actually making these cards then?
                  Last edited by fishbowlhead; 13-04-2023, 13:36.

Comment

They sure are. Poor DX11 (possibly anything prior to DX12 in fact, Marty will know) performance is the issue. If you only play DX12 games then I think they're a viable option.

Comment

XESS isn't as good as DLSS either, and not as many games cater for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        They sure are. Poor DX11 (possibly anything prior to DX12 in fact, Marty will know) performance is the issue. If you only play DX12 games then I think they're a viable option.
                        DX11 and DX12 are absolutely fine. DX10 and earlier used to be problematic, but February updates have fixed a lot of issues. There is one caveat however, you need to have a system capable of Resizeable BAR to get the maximum performance out of these cards (so last couple of generation CPUs). For their price though, they are decent value

FSR works on all cards, XESS is better than FSR, where it is supported. Archmage has made good leaps through the driver updates, so Battlemage should see another step up.

Comment

This worth picking up for PS5?

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
                            This worth picking up for PS5?
                            Absolutely, looks great, runs at a solid 60fps, haptics are fantastic. £15 bargain.

Comment

The upcoming DLC is looking very good. Even if you don't end up getting it, it seems that there are some revamped parts of the base game including the AI, the police system, and the perks.

Leaks suggest a £25 price point.

Comment

Ill be getting this, I don’t feel done with the world yet despite mopping up pretty much everything on my last run, but I’m looking forward to new story and map to explore.

Are the enemies getting a level bump for the new map, I assume it’s going to be pushed a post game content, but not really sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X