No announcement yet.

I need to play a RPG!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just popped in here to recommend Solatorobo for the DS. It's a bit easy and linear, but the pencil-and-watercolor style visuals are gorgeous and the 3D engine moves at a cracking pace.

I honestly think that (strangely for a Japanese console) the DS was short good JRPGs (instead having seemingly DOZENS of SRPGs) but Solatarobo is definitely in the "better" category.

Comment

I'd also recommend Radiant Historia on the DS, very much a traditional RPG:

Comment

I'd definitely champion Resonance of Fate as well. Great action RPG with fancy gun acrobatics abound. 3 charming characters who're developed through the game and have good chemistry between them. Great score if you have a remote interest in fantastic dynamic rock music at all.

Check some Youtube videos out to see if its really to your liking.

Comment

So have you got 50-60 quid to play Radiant Historia? I want to play it but not at that price.

Comment

Didn't realise it was that expensive now, i bought it at launch from VGP for ?25.

Comment

Sadly it's the norm for DS stuff, nowdays the prices are stupid even for used copies of certain games. Im so glad i got the majority of what i wanted as in 2013 it would cost me a fortune.

Comment

Anything with Atlus on the box is worth buying day 1. Radiant Historia looks nice!

Comment

Some of the Atlus games are very good but not everything by them is, thats the problem we have now. People see Atlus & think it's going to be rare so up goes the price. RPGs tend to be the main targets of this behaviour mainly. Thankfully it mainly seems to be english RPGs that get the uber price hikes, nobody cares about the Japanese ones as much due to the importing/understanding barrier YAY (gives me a chance of bargains at least)

Radiant historia is indeed worth tracking down if you can find it for a sane price.

Comment

Does anyone like Valkyrie Profile on PS1 & Valkyrie Profile 2 on PS2? I loved the battle system on both. Is there any other combo based battle system like that apart from the tales series?

Comment

I have Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 and both are really good. Very unique titles with cool gameworlds. I have VP on PSP too but I just can't bring myself to sell the PS1 version as I have owned it since new. It goes for a fortune too.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                        I have Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 and both are really good. Very unique titles with cool gameworlds. I have VP on PSP too but I just can't bring myself to sell the PS1 version as I have owned it since new. It goes for a fortune too.
                        Yeah I have owned my Valkyrie Profile 1 since new and refuse to sell it. Unless it's value reaches ?400!

Comment

Originally posted by djtickle View Post
                          I feel the need to play a "proper" RPG. When I say proper RPG I mean not like Mass Effect, Darksiders and more like old school final fantasys. (Gear collecting, gaining levels)

I was thinking maybe Blue Dragon? But was looking for some recommendations.

Any platform is fine, but if poss 360 as I'm a 360 party lover.
                          Right djtickle never fear S3M is here, I'll stick to xbox360 only and Japanese delivered one as it seems to be what you're looking for.

Blue Dragon
                          Very good turn based RPG, made by the original Final Fantasy Director, great art style and a big game.

Cross Edge Dash (Japanese Only)
                          Enhanced version of the PS3 title, but didn't get a English release, avoid Idea Factory made RPGs 99.9% of the time they are Ultra-super-power leveling rubbish.

Enchanted Arms

Early 256 generation title but enjoyable with a row based combat system, PS3 version is enchanced.

Eternal Sonata
                          Great music and another traditional style RPG but is very enjoyable, again PS3 version is enchanced

Final Fantasy XIII & Final Fantasy XIII-2
                          Worse Final Fantasy to date, awful games avoid both titles, third one is due to be released soon.

Infinite Undiscovery
                          Had a quiet release but I quite like it, I really enjoyed the live action combat in it.

Last Remnant, The
                          Square's attempt at a massive army based combat game, interesting ideas but the game is plagued with frame rate issues.

Lost Odyssey
                          Made by the same team as Blue Dragon (Mist Walker), again very good Final Fantasy style RPG.

Magna Carta II
                          Sequel to the PS2 title, this one borrows quite a bit from Final Fantasy XII and is a bit of a unknown gem

NIER
                          Original story and setting and a very deep and interesting Zelda clone

Phantasy Star Universe
                          MMO style RPG if you liked then, really this is just a poor man's Phastasy Star Online

Resonance of Fate
                          As mention by the others this is a fantasic gun slinging RPG, I highly recommend, much better than Tri-Ace recent Star Ocean games.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope
                          Weak outing in the Star Ocean series it's OK nothing special PS3 version has a few minor tweaks but nothing major.

Tales of Vesperia

Others have already talked about it what I will say is that the PS3 version has alot of improvements and extra characters but that is Japanese only.
                          Last edited by S3M; 24-02-2013, 14:02.

Comment

I only ever played the Magna Carta 2 demo and was hugely impressed. Pity I never followed it up.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Press Start To Begin' View Post
                              Actually contradicting my post about ignoring the 360, Nier is a brilliant RPG imo. It is not turned based, more real time fighting but it is more RPG then not. It is quirky, off key and IMO original. It has it's fair few fetch quests but the music is so amazing it numbs the pain, plus I found the fighting quite re-freshing. Quite a deep story too.

I thought it deserved a mention.
                              Nier is one of my top 10 games this generation. Pure enjoyment with such a good story on repeated playthroughs, fabulous music, and a very accessible combat system.

Having said that, I can understand why some people hate it. A marmite game.

Comment

Working...
                              X