No announcement yet.

Amiibo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It could go either way, you would think that they wouldn't be so evil but then again this is the same Nintendo that put region locks on e-reader cards. There is no way of knowing for sure till they come out, but they have chips in them so it's entirely possible for them to do it in some form.

Comment

Yes, the Wii U gamepad is also region locked. Nintendo seem to be increasingly obsessed with region locking when the rest of the industry has gone in the other direction. Irritating. I'd be more surprised if they weren't region locked, sadly.

Comment

I think I have become so cynical. These smack of cheekiness to me. They do nothing that a save file couldn't do, apart from be on display. Nintendo do not release games that people want on a regular basis but expect you to buy more of these than actual games. It would be better if they have a Disney Infinity like title with unlockable levels etc than how they are going to use these. It's all a bit underwhelming.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
          They do nothing that a save file couldn't do, apart from be on display.
          So they do already more than a regular figurine would.

I wouldn't dismiss the idea before it's even out. It's smart to release them step-by-step, first with Smash Bros. It gives people time to get some before the inevitable Amiibo-only game they'll no doubt have in mind.

So think it like this: they're cool little Nintendo figurines to put on display WITH the added bonus of giving people extra content for their games. What's not to like? (well apart from yet another sink hole for money)
          Last edited by Guts; 04-09-2014, 15:27.

Comment

Well, good point but if Nintendo really wanted my progress to carry between games how come Smash Bros cannot see my progress in, say, Mario Kart and give me boosts that way? It seems like that would be a lot more convenient too!

Comment

Sure, it would be nice and convenient, but then it wouldn't give Nintendo a reason to make money selling little plastic figurines, eh?

Comment

I could picture myself getting one or two. I'm not so keen on the use of flimsy clear sticks to prop up thin models that could easily have been better and more securely designed. Like Skylanders and Infinity, the harsh lesson is resisting completing the collection as likely only a small few will be used across releases or even heavily in them. Mario and Yoshi are safe bets and look good, can't imagine any scenario where I'd want to look at let alone pay for Wii Fitness trainer

Comment

Have to agree the ones been supported by a stick look fragile as hell, they would have been better putting a protective plastic dome on them all. I can definately see them been snapped off, although if it's anything like infinity there will probably be display cases made for them.

Comment

Unlike Skylanders and Infinity though, buying more than one of these is daft.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                      Unlike Skylanders and Infinity though, buying more than one of these is daft.
                      About as daft as buying any other kinds of action figures or dolls. Or posters. Or whatever.

First edition Wii Fitness Trainer in the original box will be a ?5,000 future collector's item because no one wants to buy her. Mark my words.
                      Last edited by Guts; 04-09-2014, 18:16.

Comment

Plus with it been so flimsy very few will survive, i still can't believe they put her in. What a ****e character for smash bros, i'd have rather had disk kun or something at least a bit cooler.

Comment

I dunno, I find the idea of Wii Trainer beating the crap out of Mario and Link with yoga exercise moves hilarious, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, there'll probably be 78 characters or something in Smash Bros. so one Wii Trainer FITS (pun intended) there fine.

Comment

I mean daft in the sense that you only need the functionality of one. Feel free to pay ?11 or so for ?3 figures.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                              I mean daft in the sense that you only need the functionality of one. Feel free to pay ?11 or so for ?3 figures.
                              If you only want to use one figure then sure, you only need one.

And I doubt you can get any official game figures of decent quality for ?3 anywhere.

Comment

I am also amused by the inclusion of the Wii Fit Trainer and approve of it. It's more interesting than just like...a Goomba.

Originally posted by speedlolita
                                I mean daft in the sense that you only need the functionality of one.
                                Says the man with 800 different PlayStations

Comment

Working...
                                X