Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They could probably do it for a decent price too. It seems like a another world where Nintendo made the comparatively powered Gamecube yet launched for just ?130. For what a WiiU machine is, its launch price was obscene and immediately put it on the back foot. Refined Pro Controller, PS4 power, Mario Kart/Smash Bros within the launch year and quality third party ports. Cracking

Comment

We celebrate Christmas on the 24th here in Norway, so today is Boxing Day. The Wii U was the main present (apart from the normal update of family cross country skis) and what a SUCCESS!

Mario kart 8 has had a lot of game time, but the game that actually impressed me the most was a mini game called Mario chase. (Nintendoland) What a great laugh with four players!

Anyway, apart from a long system update, the Wii U has been brilliant as a Christmas toy. Mario world in cat suits has been awesome, Mario kart seems to be the perfection of that series, Amiibo suits being so popular that kids wonder if they can save up for more characters and nintendoland has been a blast.

I must also say, I think the games look lovely, and weak GPU be damned, this is the type of local coop gaming that is perfect with family for a few hours during a holiday.

Merry Christmas

Comment

I don't think we will ever see a market leading home Nintendo system again.
        Last edited by nakamura; 25-12-2014, 21:53.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
          I don't think we will ever see a market leading home Nintendo system again.
          It's looking that way.

And the irritating thing about it? Nintendo have the capability to change that.

Comment

Do you think so? Let's say if they release power house with full third party support, will the popularity of the Xbox and PS brands allow it to dent that market?

Comment

Do you think so? Let's say if they release power house with full third party support, will the popularity of the Xbox and PS brands allow it to dent that market?
              All things equal, Nintendo's vastly superior first-party software quality trumps anything equivalent that Sony and MS can come up with. That's not even up for debate. It would make the difference.

If Nintendo did everything right and properly (hardware power, proper online, third-party support, etc.), I honestly couldn't see how Sony and/or MS could stop them.

It's not likely to happen though.
              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 25-12-2014, 23:04.

Comment

Indeed. But do consumers have confidence or interest in the Nintendo brand? It has become more childish than ever nowadays. I just don't see it appealing to the average modern gamer. Very few of the teens and later kids I know have any interest in the brand.

Comment

Indeed. But do consumers have confidence or interest in the Nintendo brand? It has become more childish than ever nowadays. I just don't see it appealing to the average modern gamer. Very few of the teens and later kids I know have any interest in the brand.
                  Sadly, I don't disagree.

I still maintain that if they made the proper effort to do all of the above, they'd be much more competitive with Sony and/or MS.

Comment

They would certainly have a better chance. I personally think they should ally with Sony and completely wipe out MS. Nintendo portables and software with Sony home systems would be great. Of course history won't allow that. We know how 'proud' the Japanese can be.

Comment

They would certainly have a better chance. I personally think they should ally with Sony and completely wipe out MS. Nintendo portables and software with Sony home systems would be great. Of course history won't allow that. We know how 'proud' the Japanese can be.
                      Yup - That's not going to happen for obvious historical reasons, although I'd quite frankly love to see MS exit the console gaming scene (something that is also unlikely).
                      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 25-12-2014, 23:23.

Comment

Same here.

Something must change. Console sales have declined generation on generation bar the lucky Wii. Figuratively speaking it looked and felt like a blip. Now Nintendo have completely forgotten even their core with their abandonment of so many franchises. Star Fox will hopefully make amends but they need to diversify again more to win me back.

Although I do own a Wii U which does make that statement seem a little odd.

Comment

I also own a Wii U. I actually have two in my house - long story!

The (first-party) software is clearly quality, but the hardware and its functionality leaves so much to be desired in my humble opinion. It is the first time that I have ever felt 'meh' about a Nintendo home console.

Crazy how Nintendo have looked to ignore the obvious demand for the return of F-Zero, Metroid and other franchises like the "Wars" series just to prostitue Mario/Kirby/Zelda/Pok?mon ad nauseum.

Comment

I agree on every point. They frustrating thing is that even on their gimped hardware, their games still look outstanding.
                            The less said about the gamepad the better.

Comment

The less said about the gamepad the better.
                              I've said it before, I'll say it again and I'll keep saying it: it should've been a separately sold accessory. The New 3DS/New 3DS XL match it feature for feature. Why aren't they doing Off-TV Play for the Wii U instead?

I seriously doubt the GamePad would exist if there weren't already successful tablets around like the iPad. Yes, the GamePad is primarily a controller but anybody who can't see that it is influenced by modern tablets is an idiot.

That said, it is useful for quick play when I can't be bothered to turn my TV on. That's not saying that much though imo.

Comment

I got a couple of Wii U games from Christmas. Now I have to order the machine itself.

Going for the one with 32gig. What else is recommended besides the console itself, hardware wise?

Comment

Working...
                                X