Nintendo 3DS: Thread 03 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    What's the 3D like on Streets of Rage? And is it just SOR1?

Only thing stopping me from getting that is the chance they'll do SOR2, and I will literally never play SOR1 on a device which also has SOR2.
    I found the 3D didn't really add much, not like these racing games, or Galaxy Force II. It does have two modes though, sink in or pop out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      I never thought that the Saturn and/or Dreamcast ports of OutRun could ever be bettered.

3D OutRun, quite frankly, blows both of them out of the water. THE definitive version of an all-time classic.
      Think I might have to revise this opinion somewhat.

I think 3D OutRun is quality (I've pretty much only played that this weekend) but the lack of Ferrari licensing and the remodelling of the car is starting to bug me a bit. OCD, I know (and yes I know the car is remodelled in all ports of OutRun that don't have the Ferrari license), but the Saturn port still has the edge in this respect.

That said, 3D OutRun is fantastic running in 60fps - something I'm pretty sure the Saturn port can't boast, unless I'm mistaken.

EDIT: The Saturn version does have a 60fps mode. I think that I would class 3D OutRun as probably the second-best port of the game, probably not quite as 1:1 as the Saturn version but definitely better than the DC port.
      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 15-03-2015, 20:02.

Comment

Is outrun2 getting a 3d release? I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
          Is outrun2 getting a 3d release? I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
          Do you mean the actual 2003 sequel or do you mean the psuedo-sequels like Turbo OutRun and/or OutRunners?

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
            I think it adds a lovely depth to the image.
            As Nakamura said yes adds some depth looks nice. Have to say the Music in SOR and SOR2 is sublime been playing both recently on 3DS and iPad.

Comment

Do you mean the actual 2003 sequel or do you mean the psuedo-sequels like Turbo OutRun and/or OutRunners?
              The proper 2003 sequal yes. I would of though people would want that version in 3d, not the original, given how many times sega has peddled and flogged the original.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                The proper 2003 sequal yes. I would have though people would want that version in 3d, not the original, given how many times sega has peddled and flogged the original.
                Thing is, OutRun 2/2006 C2C/Online Arcade really isn't as good as the original. It's an inferior imitation disguised as a "modern update/sequel" at best.

Also, have Sega really flogged the original OutRun in the same way that they've flogged, say, Super Hang-On or Space Harrier or the 16-bit Sonic games? Prior to 3D OutRun, The last decent port was the Dreamcast version, released back in 2002. The Saturn version was released in 1996.
                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 15-03-2015, 22:45.

Comment

Double post. Please delete.
                  Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 15-03-2015, 22:40. Reason: Double post. Please delete.

Comment

I prefer 2006 to the original myself. As for what is better, well it's totally different in game play feel.

Comment

Both games are great, but OutRun 2 is indeed a completely different game. A "modern update/sequel" is exactly what it is, and not an "inferior imitation" of the original, as it's not trying to imitate it in the first place. At least not to the same extent that After Burner Climax follows on from the original games.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                        Both games are great, but OutRun 2 is indeed a completely different game. A "modern update/sequel" is exactly what it is, and not an "inferior imitation" of the original, as it's not trying to imitate it in the first place.
                        Personally, I think that's highly debatable.

There is nothing in OutRun 2/2006 C2C/Online Arcade that is totally brand new apart from the obvious graphical and audio "improvements". The basic gameplay premise remains the same as it did in 1986 for the most part. The original soundtrack is even there, albeit in an updated arrangement.

Sorry, but OutRun 2 really isn't a million miles away from the 1986 original. Let's not try to pretend that it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble9 View Post
                          That looks lovely .

I plan to get a black 3DS with the wooden face plates and the "Grizzly" colour one would match it superbly!!

Did you buy it direct off their site (and if so how long did it take to get to you / did you get hit with customs charge) or did you find it elsewhere?
                          Sorry, only just saw this now! Direct from their site, via FedEx, with pre-paid customs and all that jazz. A little pricey but it was with me in three days, v impressed.

Comment

Personally, I think that's highly debatable.

There is nothing in OutRun 2/2006 C2C/Online Arcade that is totally brand new apart from the obvious graphical and audio "improvements". The basic gameplay premise remains the same as it did in 1986 for the most part. The original soundtrack is even there, albeit in an updated arrangement.

Sorry, but OutRun 2 really isn't a million miles away from the 1986 original. Let's not try to pretend that it is.
                            'Improvements' in quotation marks? Pretty harsh lol. I think Outrun 2 is a wonderful game with great graphics and sound. Hard to see how they could've updated Outrun for the technology of the early noughties better in my view.

It's certainly not a million miles away from the original game, which is one of the things that I think is so good and so clever about it. It stays true to its roots while being its own game at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              'Improvements' in quotation marks? Pretty harsh lol. I think Outrun 2 is a wonderful game with great graphics and sound. Hard to see how they could've updated Outrun for the technology of the early noughties better in my view.

It's certainly not a million miles away from the original game, which is one of the things that I think is so good and so clever about it. It stays true to its roots while being its own game at the same time.
                              Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's an awful game at all (I rinsed OutRun Online Arcade on XBLA), but it certainly isn't the totally different game to the original that some on here are trying to make it out to be.

Comment

No it isn't, I agree. As an aside, balls out top notch game in my opinion and one of my faves

Comment

Working...
                                X