Shenmue 3 PS4 & PC SERIOUSLY HAPPENING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by usman View Post
    If you're convinced it's all a fraud or destined to failure then why bother and actually invest time in a forum discussing it?
    Please don't underestimate our willingness to do precisely that.

I invested now mainly to get backer-only inside peeks. I knew it would get funded.

Comment

I'm totally suspicious of this project and will believe it when I see it, however, even a cynic like me knows that Eurogamer title is complete clickbait and quotes him out of context.

"We have more than enough money to make the best combination of graphics and story" said no game developer, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by usman View Post
        Way too much unfounded and unreasonable cynicism here. Chill out and just go with the ride, Shenmue 3's getting made.

If you're convinced it's all a fraud or destined to failure then why bother and actually invest time in a forum discussing it? I think for those of us who were originally around for Shenmue/II in our late teens and 20s it's safe to say - really we're a bit old for that now.
        Why bother? Erm...because we have a right to here on a videogames forum thread about said videogame in the thread title?

Not being funny, but if you don't like the tone of the conversation and/or the opinions of the people discussing the subject (again, as is their right to) then you're perfectly entitled, as is your right, not to participate in it.
        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 05-10-2015, 11:11.

Comment

I must admit I was slightly baffled at someone asking people not to discuss a game on a gaming forum primarily aimed at game discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            We've been through this over and over. If you honestly think there will be 3 more Shenmue games, you are as delusional as Suzuki. It simply won't happen.
            I'm not a massive fan of the series answer would much see Yu Suzuki make a next gen Power Drift or Outrun 3 tbh as nobody makes a better racer than Yu Suzuki . but like the Am#2 whiteboard chart showed. It would take Shenmue 3 and 4 to finish the story, looking over that one would hope Shenmue 3 would be so good that the fans would want Shenmue 4 anyway.

Comment

Wanting Shenmue 4 and being sucked into another kickstarter are two very different things. It is not going to be easy to pull this off again, not by a long shot. And as for it taking Shenmue 3 AND 4 to finish the story, the story could be finished in a leaflet. That's the wonderful thing about writing: you can edit.

Comment

I think everybody has just been burnt too many times by kick starter to have total trust in these projects. I would argue that the concerns here are less about whether Yu Suzuki can be trusted, (which I personally believe he can), and more about the platform Shenmue 3 has been used to fund on.

Personally, I'm really really excited about Shenmue 3, but I feel bad for Suzuki if he feels that Shenmue 4 will ever be a possibility. In the way the state the industry is in at the moment, with profit over all else, it's a miracle Shenmue 3 is going to happen in the first place.

Saying that if this does pave the way for future other games, like Skies of Arcadia 2 for example, I'm all in and couldn't be more excited.
                Last edited by darkangel; 05-10-2015, 14:35.

Comment

I'm curious about him saying there'll be less combat in this one too. Not that it was ever a brilliant part of the series but his focus on story and wandering suggests he's mistaking gamers desire for closure with the series having narrative depth worth exploring.

Comment

Shenmue 4 will be an iOS/Android interactive comic, highlight my words.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I remember reading in Official Dreamcast Magazine back in the day that the fighting in Shenmue was based off Virtual Fighter? I really enjoyed the fighting in Shenmue anyway.

Comment

I don't remember liking the combat all that much. Or the QTEs. Or the bloody forklift. If I'm honest, Shenmue was always greater than the sum of its parts for me. What I loved most of all was the atmosphere. As it happens, I'd happily take a Shenmue game that was mostly just wandering around soaking up the atmosphere, the music and the story.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                          Shenmue 4 will be an iOS/Android interactive comic, highlight my words.
                          Erm, okay.

Shenmue 4 will be an iOS/Android interactive comic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            Wanting Shenmue 4 and being sucked into another kickstarter are two very different things. It is not going to be easy to pull this off again, not by a long shot. And as for it taking Shenmue 3 AND 4 to finish the story, the story could be finished in a leaflet. That's the wonderful thing about writing: you can edit.
                            Oh, I'm not saying by any means that Ys.Net would be successful in crowd-funding for future Shenmue games.

This debacle will (fortunately) see to that.

Comment

Originally posted by darkangel View Post
                              I'm pretty sure I remember reading in Official Dreamcast Magazine back in the day that the fighting in Shenmue was based off Virtual Fighter? I really enjoyed the fighting in Shenmue anyway.
                              Nah, not really. There were a few similarities, but it didn't play particularly like VF.

Ryo could learn some moves in Shenmue 1 via various means that were similar in motion to Virtua Fighter characters, e.g. Akira's dashing elbow and double kick, a VF-style knee-strike...

I also believe in Shenmue 2 you run into several characters who fight with VF character fighting styles (at some kind of fight club?). I haven't played it though so I'm not sure.

Comment

There are tons of virtua fighter references, combat moves etc. in Shenmue. Shenmue started life as a Virtua fighter adventure game or something I think. Like how Panzer Dragoon got a Panzer Dragoon Saga game I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X