No announcement yet.

Shenmue 3 PS4 & PC SERIOUSLY HAPPENING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I imagine the story will end with Shenmue 3, the chapters thing was mostly hyperbole anyway to make the game sound grander anyway, Shenmues story is paper thin so they'll just trim the fluff to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      I imagine the story will end with Shenmue 3, the chapters thing was mostly hyperbole anyway to make the game sound grander anyway, Shenmues story is paper thin so they'll just trim the fluff to fit.
      Even with massive cuts .I can't see it be told and finished with Part III . Like I said it took SEGA some 7 years and 2 games just to sell six . They'll be 2 games needed to finish the story .

Comment

The story can end at any point. It's not like there are a whole bunch of story threads. It doesn't need 10 chapters at all. They'd be better wrapping it up now because I doubt there will be another.

Comment

Don't imagine there will be another unless this one turns out to be an unexpected hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            Even with massive cuts .I can't see it be told and finished with Part III . Like I said it took SEGA some 7 years and 2 games just to sell six . They'll be 2 games needed to finish the story .
            There is absolutely no reason it can't end with 3. If they have any sense it will.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              The story can end at any point. It's not like there are a whole bunch of story threads. It doesn't need 10 chapters at all. They'd be better wrapping it up now because I doubt there will be another.
              Well this is from the man himself

“Yes indeed, the story is far away from being completed and to be honest, I do not think that it’s possible to end it during Shenmue III. If I had to do it my way, players would experience the ending during Shenmue V. But that seems to be a lot so I’m going to try to finish it within the next 2 games.
              http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/interview1114.html

Comment

Beggars can't be choosers though. Irrespective of the facts as you put them, the common consensus is that Shenmue killed Sega and the Dreamcast, and that's why we are in this situation. No doubt it will be finished in this next game.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                  Beggars can't be choosers though. Irrespective of the facts as you put them, the common consensus is that Shenmue killed Sega and the Dreamcast, and that's why we are in this situation. No doubt it will be finished in this next game.
                  The Dreamcast killed SEGA : Shenmue project cost $70 million . SEGA had debts over $800 million dollars and counting . I rather no more Shenmue at all , rather than a letdown cut back Shenmue game done on the cheap and another Duke Nukem Forver letdown, just so , so-called fans can play it

Comment

Well aren't you cheery

I'm not even a Shenmue fan, but I'm happy for the people that are, and that their seemingly hopeless dream has come true.

Much like when Serenity was released- people who loved the Firefly universe got an ending. Was the film as good as another 2/3 series? No- but people finally got to find out what happened and live in the world again- and that's priceless for fans- hardcore or not.
                    Last edited by MrKirov; 17-06-2015, 14:57.

Comment

I might be wrong but wasn't it the Saturn, MegaCd, 32X debacle that killed Sega? I'm sure I read an interview ages ago or article where it basically said Segas fate was sealed before the Dreamcast came about but Sega plowed on regardless and ignored the sinking debt they were getting further into

Comment

Well yeah, but a lot of people still talk as if Shenmue was the culprit, ill-informed or no. Investors and companies must think somewhat similarly, and that the fanbase wouldn't be big enough or there would have been a sequel sooner I guess.

Comment

Well aren't you cheery
                          Just trying to deal with facts . Shenmue project cost $70 million and SEGA had debts of over $800 to $900 million Dollars, so sorry Shenmue didn't kill SEGA at all, just that a fact. And I'll rather no new Shenmue at all , to one done on the cheap and massively cut back, for people on here and countess other forums, to moan and bitch how yet another game and IP as been killed off and done on the cheap by the likes of SEGA and so on.

Comment

I might be wrong but wasn't it the Saturn, MegaCd, 32X debacle that killed Sega?
                            But even that's wrong as even in 1997 SEGA was able to post profits of ?40 Millon pounds . Long after the Saturn and Mega CD,32X had been developed and shipped . Lack of marketshare and lossing over $50 to $100 for every DC sold is what really killed SEGA and why SEGA had to drop out of the Hardware race

Comment

that the fanbase wouldn't be big enough or there would have been a sequel sooner I guess.
                              The real reason for no Shenmue III was Shenmue II sold rubbish on both the DC and XBox and anytime a sequels sells less , usually the end of the IP in almost every case . Shenmue actually sold in pretty decent numbers and if Shenmue II had sold over a million copies I dare say we would have got a Shenmue III on the DC or XBox .

Comment

I should say, also, that the budgets/cost of previous Shenmue games are not useful data for modern development.

Game development has completely transformed since Shenmue 1 was made, plus the new one is using Unreal 4 (and most likely other off-the-shelf tech too). Even things like motion capture, performance capture - these things are far cheaper than they once were.

Of course, some things have got more expensive with the move to HD, and improvements to stuff like character animation.

Shenmue was expensive, but it tried to do many things that had never really been done before with any kind of fidelity. That's not the case now.

A better guide is probably the Yakuza games. It would be more expensive than those, I suspect, but they're still closer than using the massive figures from the older titles.

Comment

Working...
                                X