No announcement yet.

Shenmue 3 PS4 & PC SERIOUSLY HAPPENING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just don't understand the negativity. For years people have been banging on about getting shenmue 3, it finally happens and you're whinging it's not good enough. Bemuses me if im honest, but to each their own I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
      Beggars can't be choosers though. Irrespective of the facts as you put them, the common consensus is that Shenmue killed Sega and the Dreamcast, and that's why we are in this situation. No doubt it will be finished in this next game.
      Shenmue didn't kill Sega though. Bad management and the everyone waiting for the PS2 did!

Comment

Doesn't stop a lot of people believing Shenmue killed it I guess. Certainly a kickstarter wouldn't be needed to confirm if a sequel is worthwhile if there was enough of a fanbase for it originally.

I don't claim to know the ins and outs of it all though, I've always been of the mind that Shenmue cost loads, and didn't sell enough to recoup the investment. Right or wrong, if I've always thought that, it's possible others would have too.

Anyhoo, I'm just happy people who have wanted Shenmue 3 for so long, get to finally see the end of the story!

Comment

I just don't understand the negativity. For years people have been banging on about getting shenmue 3, it finally happens and you're whinging it's not good enough. Bemuses me if im honest, but to each their own I guess.
          Like people said with Duke and the likes of NiGHTS JOD . Unless Shenmue III is done on the sort of grand epic scale of the 1st two I don't really want it myself . It wasn't just the story that made my like Shenmue is was the scale and the wonderful world of the game and I hope Shenmue III will have the main power and budget for it to live up what's gone before . I don't really want a cutback and Shenmue done on the cheap myself

Doesn't stop a lot of people believing Shenmue killed it I guess.
          One can't blame Shenmue for the $700 millon SEGA was in debt too . What next all of SONY debt down to VITA .

Comment

Nights buggered up on the gameplay and that's it. Everything else it would have got away with just fine. The music was superb. But they basically broke the game. It wouldn't have taken any more money or resources to have done that game right. If anything, it may not have needed stuff they added. So I'm not sure that's comparable.

Comment

Well I'm sorry if you're not happy, and that if when it is released its not to your satisfaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Nights buggered up on the gameplay and that's it. Everything else it would have got away with just fine. The music was superb. But they basically broke the game. It wouldn't have taken any more money or resources to have done that game right. If anything, it may not have needed stuff they added. So I'm not sure that's comparable.
                It was done on the cheap. Gameplay wise is hardly played any differently . But unlike NiGHTS on the Saturn which had money thrown at it and a higher priority than any other SEGA Arcade or console game at the time . NiGHTS JOD was done on the cheap and against the team wishes had to be for the Wii .

Loads of people wanted Duke Nukem Forever untill they got to play the thing and where Gearbox did the game on the cheap . I

Comment

I'm not even convinced you've played Nights now.

Well, you're not going to be happy with Shenmue regardless. That's okay. I'm thrilled they are getting a chance to continue it and my expectations are nicely realistic. Looking forward to it when it comes some time in the early 2020s.

Comment

Well I'm sorry if you're not happy, and that if when it is released its not to your satisfaction.
                    Not a case of being happy . Just not wanting to see one hopes dashed with a poor product that lacks the scale and ambition of the 1st two games , that's all . I don't want another Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor, Advance Guardian Heroes or Duke letdown.

Is that so wrong ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      I'm not even convinced you've played Nights now.
                      I played the game and apart the laughably on foot sections it plays and controls much the same . It also looked pretty good for a Wii game too imo

Comment

Shenmue was the final nail. 70 million to sell under roughly 2 million units was a complete and utter disaster.

Comment

Shenmue 3 is in the Guinness Book of Records for the fastest game to raise $1m in fund pledges.

Previous record holder Torment: Tides of Numenera raised the total in 6hrs 5 mins

Shenmue 3 raised the total in 1hr 42 mins

Day 2 of funding is coming towards a close and the total now stands at $3.067m. This is enough to cover Shenmue 1&2 cinema shorts for the release and all the subtitle reach goals have been met.

The next stretch goal is for $3.2m which will add a Rapport System. Stretch goals for $4-5m have been added, all of them add missions and widen a Village area in the game.

Comment

I still can't believe it's actually happening.

The cynical part of me worries it'll somehow fall through(maybe it'll do a TLG and disappear for seven years) but I fell asleep to the Shenmue soundtrack last night - no weird dreams about sailors, luckily - and I've decided to just enjoy the nice, communal feeling going on.

It'll be interesting to see how much money they raise along with whatever Sony and others stump up and how that will affect the finished product.
                            Last edited by randombs; 18-06-2015, 01:21.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                              Shenmue was the final nail. 70 million to sell under roughly 2 million units was a complete and utter disaster.
                              You just being a billy silly . When any game is made other than COD or GTA (and even them at the start were risks) - Its a huge risk and the developer doesn't really know if the game will sell. FF 7 cost some $40 Million back in the 32bit age and if that didn't work out it would have been the end of Square , and Square was never the same after their own vanity project didn't work out in the Cinema.
                              Bioshock Infinite $100 and 4 years just to make a FPS, never mind what it cost to make Destiny or COD MW II . You never really know if the risk will pay off just like it never did for the likes of Daikatana, Haze (which killed FRD) or APB and I'm sure it been widly reported that if RE didn't sell Capcom would have gone to the wall

If Shenmue II had sold as well the 1st game , they would have been no problems and people need to get over this myth that Shenmue killed SEGA , when SEGA Japan was able to fund many games after Shenmue as well as make Hardware like NA@MI II and what not . It was the debt built up selling the DC and the poor Market share the system had , that that killed SEGA

but I fell asleep to the Shenmue soundtrack last night
                              It's an awesome soundtrack, but I doubt Yu Suzuki will be able to have 100 piece orchestra, This time unless SONY is serious with the funding

Comment

Bioshock grew quickly into a massively popular franchise. First could be deemed some sort of a risk but the System Shock heritage negates that.

GTA was a top down game that grew on controversy. It was basically free advertising. By the time 3 came along, it was huge.

By the time CoD came along the PS1 started Medal of Honor was huge. CoD may have failed but it was riding in the crest of a console fps wave that continued well into the online era.

Shenmue is a proven failure.

Comment

Working...
                                X