No announcement yet.

RIP Satoru Iwata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So where's all the innovative passionate folk? I guess most these in Japan are investing their energy on something else. Doesn't help being a deeply hierarchical society.

I befriended a Japanese exchange student here (in Finland) and he wanted to work for a gaming company. His friend worked at Konami IIRC. What a bummer. The guy loved MGS but I guess he's disappointed now.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      That to me is the problem with Japan and why its economy as gone nowhere for decades. Sadly I look at the one great and amazing gaming corps like SEGA, Cave, NCL, Capcom, GameArts , Treasure, Konami and get feel they all their best days are long gone, its kind of sad
      Technology has killed game design.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
        Technology has killed game design.
        Mobile and Handhelds have killed Japan . Game design is still alive and well and so is console gaming in the West

Comment

Game design is still alive and well and so is console gaming in the West
          That's debatable. You only have to look at the top 10/20 multiformat charts any where in the west to show you that. Usual suspects: COD, FIFA, PES, any generic third-person shmup...

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            That's debatable. You only have to look at the top 10/20 multiformat charts any where in the west to show you that. Usual suspects: COD, FIFA, PES, any generic third-person shmup...
            You say that like Japan was any better years ago . Unless your Console had Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest on it the Japanese just didn't want to know and the ammount of crap that topped the Japanese charts was insane , never mind the number of generic football, F1, RPG or endless Koei Dynasty Warriors games that done well in the Japanese charts over the years.

So sorry to kill a dream, The Japanese are no better than the West for getting and buying the usual suspects .

L

Comment

You say that like Japan was any better years ago . Unless your Console had Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest on it the Japanese just didn't want to know and the ammount of crap that topped the Japanese charts was insane , never mind the number of generic football, F1, RPG or endless Koei Dynasty Warriors games that done well in the Japanese charts over the years.

So sorry to kill a dream, The Japanese are no better than the West for getting and buying the usual suspects .
              Please don't presume that I'm saying anything like anything.

For ages you've spouted this claptrap about western gaming being miles ahead when that's clearly not the case. Nobody has said anything about Japanese gaming being great but I'm sorry, western gaming is nowhere near as great as you make it out to be. So maybe you should kill your own dream where that's concerned?
              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 14-07-2015, 18:49.

Comment

For ages you've spouted this claptrap about western gaming being miles ahead when that's clearly not the case.
                One look at the Japan games market tells one all you need to know. It's a market in decline and where more often than not they're outclassed by Western productions bar a 'few' exceptions. Still there's always the likes of From Software and Capcom that still seem to have the console bug in Japan .
                Last edited by Team Andromeda; 14-07-2015, 19:18.

Comment

I think Japan would disagree that Japan makes inferior games to the west:

What you're basically doing is assuming your tastes as a westerner are the tastes of the entire planet and it's not so, I'm western yet right now I'm only buying/playing/interested in Japanese games (mostly Nintendo, some Street Fighter, some Level-5, some PlatinumGames) for me Western games right now are derivative and not very fun, I don't say they're worse than Japanese games, just different and not experiences I want.

Your comment Japanese games are inferior is no more the truth than this one:

Last edited by Pikate; 14-07-2015, 21:18.

Comment

I'm still in shock by this news, came out of nowhere. It would be nice if we had a banner in his memory and respect for a few days rather than the latest review.

Comment

What you're basically doing is assuming your tastes as a westerner are the tastes of the entire planet and it's not so, I'm western yet right now I'm only buying/playing/interested in Japanese games (mostly Nintendo, some Street Fighter, some Level-5, some PlatinumGames) for me Western games right now are derivative and not very fun, I don't say they're worse than Japanese games, just different and not experiences I want.
                      Can we stop with the fanboy talk ?. Noone is sayiong the Japanese don't make great games or all of them of inferior at all, but You only have to look at the Japanese charts to see the decline in that Market for consoles and how mobile and HH have taken over ok. You talk of Platinum , not even the Japanese like Platinium games much, as sales of their games in their home market are poor not matter the system they are on

The days of Japanese developers being the best at almost everything in all genre's and pushing the console to their limits seem long gone, while they focus on HH and Mobile and the expense of their next gen console piple lines. Its sad but here's hoping that Capcom and the likes of From and Square show have a nice Toyko game show

Comment

Mobile is technology just as graphics and the desire to create open worlds and always online games.

Consoles may be big in the west but most games are designed to the same ****ty template.

Comment

This is a memorial thread. Take the bickering back to the Nintendo NX thread. Please.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                            This is a memorial thread. Take the bickering back to the Nintendo NX thread. Please.
                            Funnily enough I was about to post the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                              Mobile is technology just as graphics and the desire to create open worlds and always online games.
                              The interface on mobile and Tablets is poor compared to that on a controller and that's the trouble for mobile games is the interface and how part of the screen is obstructed from view when using your hands . I have the Cave shooter collection on my moibile and much rather play the games on my PS2 and 260 truth be told . The move by the Japanese to the hh and Mobile have had a big impact on their output on the consoles , they no longer lead like their used to in the 16 bit and 32 bit days imo

And the Japanese are no better or no worse for having their charts made up with the same old big sellers and generic games. Its ok for the Japanese to go ape over anything from Square and buy endless generic dynasty warriors games...That's cool they're Japanese they are so much cooler and better than the West; God forbid should western gamers do the same and buy anything from EA or generic COD games

Comment

Ok guys, let's keep this thread on topic discussing the life and passing of Satoru Iwata. He has evidently meant a considerable amount to his fans on here, so let's please respect that and let them have their discussion of memories concerning him. There are other threads for the off topic subjects this has veered in to, so any continuation will see posts removed from here, and continual attempts at derailment will see the poster take a time out.

Thanks, Colin.

Comment

Working...
                                X