No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies for not being fully aware of the situation, but did the series drop off in quality once Bungie left? Or have 343 done it justice since?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      I think that's why the most common summary of the Showcase is 'Great for Game Pass, Awful for Series X' as it's the right one.
      They should have called it the Game pass showcase really. Perhaps they will in future.
      It’s is strange that neither company has a really crazy graphics showcase game for launch, times clearly have changed

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        NEXT GEN!

I love how they've absolutely nailed the realism on those trees.
        Jesus! You zoom in on any element of that image and it looks ****e!

Comment

They certainly shouldn't have used it to try and show off their new console. The one that's meant to be the most powerful console ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
            Jesus! You zoom in on any element of that image and it looks ****e!
            All them extra teraflops, though!

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              Apologies for not being fully aware of the situation, but did the series drop off in quality once Bungie left? Or have 343 done it justice since?
              343i have been prt of the games since Halo 3, lots of people felt Reach was a mis-step in multiplayer , Halo 4 had a decent story and a more maligned multiplayer. Halo 5 had a poor campaign but widely is considered as one the best multiplayer modes.

Meanwhiles Bungie made destiny 1&2 which is a reskinned MMO Halo.

I think that a wider decision to chase both those AAA linear narrative games that everyone hands out big review scores for AND a super deliberate move to try and make Halo e-sports focussed, which in turn alienated the more casual audience from playing, did not do them any favours.

They also ****ed up the MCC launch despite having a huge tonne of goodwill when it was announced.

Comment

They certainly shouldn't have used it to try and show off their new console. The one that's meant to be the most powerful console ever made.
                Someone needs to be shot for making that an official screenshot in the press pack.

Comment

Maybe they thought it was for the Xbox 360 press pack?

I guess those parts of the halo are destroyed, and not the graphics/LOD f'ing up?

Still, compare the detail on that gun to Halo: Reach (2010).

It's like they forgot to texture it.
                  Last edited by dataDave; 24-07-2020, 12:58.

Comment

I think that's why Forza may have slightly tipped their hand that supporting XBO is clearly a major handicap for software as if the footage is to be believed it's in a different league than everything else in that showcase. Trouble is that by the time it arrives it won't matter. MS have inadvertently made the 10v12 Flops meme argument both moot and a bit of a laughing stock as the Series X looks like it will barely be tapping 4-6 of them. They've made the hardware look no different than the largely unutilised Xbox One X which also never made much of a dent in the Xbox's fortunes. Hopefully this means we get launch prices soon though, with the launch threat neutralised by MS there's no need for them both to hold out any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                      Where is your source on this? I have to say that is pretty disappointing if true but on a positive note what does it look like now?

There was the other report it'll get a ray tracing patch post launch so basically you'd conclude we haven't seen precisely how it will look on XSX.
                      Seems to be conflicting reports on this so I'll retract my statement.
                      If it isn't an early build, and what we saw is due to launch in November... Oh dear.

Comment

Maybe they thought it was for the Xbox 360 press pack?

I guess those parts of the halo are destroyed, and not the graphics/LOD f'ing up?

Still, compare the detail on that gun to Halo: Reach (2010).

It's like they forgot to texture it.
                        It’s just the look they have gone for, it’s the same style as in Halo Wars 2.

Reach was in full on Batman Dark Knight grim dark mode.
                        It would be solved in about 3seconds by batch processing every texture in the game with clarity and sharpness. You can see that in RDR2 and TLOU2 , every texture has been tuned to draw out detail and make it easier to read.

I can’t do it to the textures directly, but basically this

Comment

Aaron Greenberg defends Halo: Infinite's visuals citing COVID, the 1080p feed and it having around 3 months left in development.

Whilst Fable 4 won't be an MMO? Anticipation Restored!

And if Turn10 deliver this difference it will be what the Sim genre has needed for a long while:

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                            This is coming to PS4 next year as a free update to people who already own Effect. Yus!
                            That's cool. I was gutted it hadn't come to Xbox so I was chuffed to see this yesterday even if it is just a new version of something already out.

Comment

Aw man, remember when they would show footage from new consoles and you'd be blown away by the graphics?

Those days are long gone

I'm sure Series X and PS5 will, eventually, have games on with really terrific graphics that look far beyond what could be done on PS4 and Bone, but I feel like it won't for years and years.

Comment

Yep I was about to post that IGN piece. So that demo build is old but I cannot confirm how old, and Greenberg is saying it'll improve between now and launch. Fair enough, I'll reserve my judgement till then but it doesn't look good that they went with this.

If they are going to add ray tracing to it post launch why not show the demo with a date of the build... Then show a quick snippet of graphical changes targeted for launch? I know they were demoing the gameplay but surely someone at MS would realise everyone in the industry would paw over the graphics and make their minds up?

Comment

Working...
                                X