No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PS4 unveiling showed off games didn't it? The XBO as well though to a lesser extent but that was just one part of the cluster---- that was that unveiling. Part of the shift in expectations is that these unveilings these days seem to happen a few months before launch rather a year or more which is why software is more likely to appear as the lead in to pre-orders etc is much tighter too.

That being said, because todays reveal has been explained to be a breakdown of the tech I'm not expecting software to be shown in it so much. Not unless they announce Knack 3 and seal up the next gen contest from the outset.

Comment

From how it comes across to me, for PC high end users the arrival of the new consoles seems to be a proper step up in performance but not from the angle of being impressive, more long due. MS and Sony will get more from the tech than PC devs ever will but broadly speaking the same cycle still applies where these machines will be powerful for their price but by the time they are being properly utilised they will be outdated compared to PC GPU's and dogged by inevitable fan speculation about Series X2 and PS5 Pro.

It's very generalistic but broadly the new consoles will hit around the 2080 mark for power which marks them amongst the most powerful available. At the same time the 2080 line was a disappointment, overly held back by dated baselines. The excitement for PC enthusiasts will be seeing consoles move that baseline massively forward allowing future GPU's to power forward, something that will likely happen very fast with the next gen cards this/next year

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        The PS4 unveiling showed off games didn't it? The XBO as well though to a lesser extent but that was just one part of the cluster---- that was that unveiling.
        No. When MS 1st showed off the Xbox to the world, we had a system break down and look of the unit has EDGE covered it. SONY always looks to show off bullcrap faked demos at their 1st showings; Only SONY Defence Force (SDF) members, take those seriously

Comment

I know they did the bullshot thing with PS3 (it's damning that Killzone 2 sticks in the mind so hard) but I recall Shadow Fall, Knack and Drive Club being shown at the PS4 reveal

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            I know they did the bullshot thing with PS3 (it's damning that Killzone 2 sticks in the mind so hard) but I recall Shadow Fall, Knack and Drive Club being shown at the PS4 reveal
            That came after the 1st spec's confirmation. We all knew the Xbox One spec's before MS showed off Fifa running on the unit at its's campus in 2014. Coming latter never helped then, either

Comment

That does ring a faint bell, I think most of my recall of the XBO/PS4 memory got caught up in the uproar they caused during the presentations.

Comment

Who cares?. Series X GPU smashes the PS5.

No doubt SDF members will say it all about the games...

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post

Yeah, fanboys are so annoying!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    Love it , sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      Quick, call Alanis Morrisette!!!

Comment

It happened with them all. MS only showed off a demo of Malice when showing off the Xbox for the 1st Time, SEGA did a couple of Tech demo's with the DC, we had Mario 128 with Nintendo and the only real game SONY looked to show off with the PS2 was bulsh8t tech demo's and the amazing Bouncer. A simple T-Rex demo was enough with the PS.

So why do people expect things to be any different now?
                        You know what I mean...they were on stage demos and the tech demos WOWed us all with their magazine covers and screenshots. I vividly recall the dreamcast realistic floating head! I should know who it was but Ive forgotten. This is literally guys on youtube pulling the hardware apart like they have just taken a screwdriver to their toaster. No lights, no music, no fanfare.

Comment

As much as I watch Digital Foundry, I don't know why it's typically pure balls and goes so far away from actually playing games you wonder what it is they are talking about.

If you spend more time worrying about real time reflections than enjoying a game you've got it wrong.

Comment

I actually like the series x the more i look at it, nice bit of kit and the breakdown the other day really gives you an appreciation of MS approach to the box, cooling and form factor (id love one of these for my desk that uses w10).

However, MS have already shot themselves in the face by stating there is not going to be a single seriesX exclusive at launch on the console.

So, i’m out.

Comment

Microsoft uploaded then retracted an image on several sites that placed Xbox Series X as launching Thanksgiving 2020 (26 November)

Comment

It appears that once you factor out the faster PS5 GPU CUs vs. more on the Xbox Series X, you're looking at somewhere in the region of 10-20% performance advantage to Microsoft's machine (this seems to be the consensus). The difference in CPU and RAM frequencies is likely to be negligible in real world.

Therefore we aren't looking at anywhere near the performance gap of previous machines (i.e. PS4 vs. XBO) so it may well be the differences become even more muted if developers simply take a multiplatform approach and code the same to both machines (along with Stadia and PC). The big performance advantage is Sony's new SSD controller chip and the fact it's so far ahead of everything else out there (including PC). That could really open up tangible differences but it might take time and first party to achieve that.

So personally I don't think either one has 'smashed' the other and we'll only see the true differences once games are coming out on the actual hardware. But at the end of the day these AMD Zen 2/RDNA 2/16GB fast RAM boxes are very similar.
                                Last edited by Digfox; 19-03-2020, 08:10.

Comment

Working...
                                X