No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The filtering out of info from MS through people like Digital Foundry has been an unusual approach. It’s certainly felt authentic - marketing bull**** has been trimmed down and it shows a lot of confidence in the product.

I can’t help but feel it’s not the most exciting way of doing things though. Sometimes a bit of marketing bull**** can make it all a bit more jolly. It feels like they’re giving us specs on a new washing machine or something at times. It’s all very quantitative. There’s no sexiness.

The Emotion Engine, was, obviously, bull****. But it sounded cool and it was pretty memorable. It will be interesting to see how Sony approach their unveiling, although it’s notable that they’ve been filtering out gobbets in a similar fashion - it’s the style du jour in an age when one big ‘ta da!’ receiving online mockery can be deadly.

I can imagine they feel much safer dripfeeding information and adjusting the message based on feedback as they go.

Comment

The days of custom chips is over and we all knew (or guessed) the 'off the shelf' AMD config some time ago. Even seeing the same dashboard OS makes this feel like a new iPhone more than ever.

PS5 is largely going to be the same. Maybe slightly different RAM and some minor differences in numbers but nothing that we don't know. Hell even the controllers are boring here!

The proprietary NVMe drives are probably the biggest surprise but even Bobby Kotick let that out of the bag ages ago.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
        Microsoft have laid everything out on the table now bar price and actual release date.

Sony can now take that all in and come up with some razamatazz presentation to look more impressive.
        Maybe they'll focus more on the games to go along with showing off the new tech. I'm definitely in for getting a series X but they haven't shown any games yet so it all feels a bit bland in a way.

Comment

Shame the series x cant just have windows 10 slapped on it. Would make a lovely looking compact system for your desk.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
            Maybe they'll focus more on the games to go along with showing off the new tech.
            Of course. No corp ever shows off games at a Hardware reveal, just a few tech demos and loads of technical info, that's been the way since the 32 bit gen. MS must be confident, going late with spec's didn't help the Xbox One SONY already knew their specs were better and didn't mind telling the world early.

Great to see BC already working on the unit and looking great, despite being unoptimised. Looking forward to now seeing what Forza 8 and Halo look like on the unit next...

So nice to have somthing to look forward too and take one mind of what happing at the moment

Comment

Microsoft: Make the new Forza look better than the last one
              turn 10: but how!?
              Microsoft: Do. It.

Comment

It's definitely interesting to see MS take this approach to unveiling the system but also because it's all to obvious how PS5 is going to smash its way past XSX as a result. It's obvious that the two systems are going to be very clsoe in terms of specs but whilst the XSX Digital Foundry breakdown is great it's also incredibly dry with lots of info that means little to casual audiences who are already distracted by virus mania because as nice as it is to see more info it's blatantly a terrible time to be doing this reveal stuff. When Sony make their reveal, realistically it'll be done like the PS4's with less detail but more razz-matazz and some games unveiled alongside likely including the likes of Horizon II and that very simple difference in presentation will mean no-one will be talking about Xbox Series X anymore.

Comment

Horizon : 1 Dawn

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
                    Maybe they'll focus more on the games to go along with showing off the new tech. I'm definitely in for getting a series X but they haven't shown any games yet so it all feels a bit bland in a way.
                    The problem with this is that they won't be Series X exclusive as they'll have to work on both the One, One S and One X.

Whereas Sony will have bona fide, will only run on PS5, next gen titles.

Comment

Plus, MS mandating 60fps in its first party exclusives is a nice touch for those who love 60fps but it means that even if PS5 is the weaker system on paper it will definitely have the better looking games regardless which from a PR view carries much more weight

Comment

I can't remember seeing the internals of any other console before any games. Its all aimed at the tech dork community too. If MS really wanted to make a splash they should have had youtubers popular with teenagers playing games. We would have hated it, but that is where the money is. I mean, not even WE are excited about the unveiling and we ARE tech dorks.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                          I can't remember seeing the internals of any other console before any games. Its all aimed at the tech dork community too. If MS really wanted to make a splash they should have had youtubers popular with teenagers playing games. We would have hated it, but that is where the money is. I mean, not even WE are excited about the unveiling and we ARE tech dorks.
                          I seem to remember seeing the motherboard of both the PS2 and Atari Jaguar before the games. The real games always a month are 2 latter in a speprate show. Other than some tech demo's I don't remember Nintendo showing off any games on its Hardware reveil of the N64, Cube. Sony for the PS2,PS3, MS for the 360 and OG XBox.

Comment

Yeah the ps2 talked about the Emotion Engine before they showed games

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              Yeah the ps2 talked about the Emotion Engine before they showed games
                              It happened with them all. MS only showed off a demo of Malice when showing off the Xbox for the 1st Time, SEGA did a couple of Tech demo's with the DC, we had Mario 128 with Nintendo and the only real game SONY looked to show off with the PS2 was bulsh8t tech demo's and the amazing Bouncer. A simple T-Rex demo was enough with the PS.

So why do people expect things to be any different now?

Comment

It's interesting to hear from the PC gamer community who are concidering this as an actual step up in performance. If pc gamers think it is then it must be.

Comment

Working...
                                X