No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see third parties getting on board with making the most of the PS5's SSD set up but it'd be interesting if Sony did manage to get some key developers to utilise it as it'd be an area where XSX may struggle to replicate results and Sony is better placed to nudge on those kinds of requests because PS5 is likely to be most developers base platform to begin with.

Comment

Microsoft put hardware into the 1X to monitor texture usage. They reckon there is a lot of wasted bandwidth there. Their approach is shift less stuff so it may not matter if the XsX has a comparatively slower SSD.

Having had some time now to have a good rake over the info on the next gen platforms the things I’m most looking forward to finding out more about and seeing in action are ray tracing and fast load resume/times. Also the performance penalty free ML HDR application, 3D audio and reduced latency on XsX and the 3D audio on the PS5.
      The reduced latency tech sounds great and clearly is aimed at getting a foothold in the esports and influencer arenas.

Comment

That machine learning HDR algorithm was a smart inclusion. I don't have a decent HDR TV right now but you can already see they're pitching this to play great new games but also make older titles look as good as they possibly can at the same time.

Comment

We need to get Lyris and Evil Boris on the case to find out more about this ML HDR tech and see what their expert opinions are on it.

Comment

It looks to me that the ps5 is gonna struggle against the series X in multi-platform titles as far as Raytracing is concerned. It has far fewer CU's in the gpu so the RT performance would be a good bit less. (someone correct me now.)

Comment

It’s still too early to say until we see software running on both machines

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                We need to get Lyris and Evil Boris on the case to find out more about this ML HDR tech and see what their expert opinions are on it.
                I'm going to assume like a novice that it's much like upscaling versus true 4K, in that it does a very good approximation based on its core logic but it'll fall short of the real thing designed from the ground up. Either way the fact is I've still got tonnes of games on my backlog to play from this generation and I plan to get a new TV next year.

If this adds extra sauce to the details too stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
                  It looks to me that the ps5 is gonna struggle against the series X in multi-platform titles as far as Raytracing is concerned. It has far fewer CU's in the gpu so the RT performance would be a good bit less. (someone correct me now.)
                  The XsX has greater resources for the ray tracing calculations and more memory bandwidth so it should, on paper anyway, come out ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    The XsX has greater resources for the ray tracing calculations and more memory bandwidth so it should, on paper anyway, come out ahead.
                    MS needs to start showing off that advantage soon. In so many area's they seem ahead not just on GFX tech, but with full BC and now machine learning HDR for older titles.

Maybe The PS5 will have a killer joypad mind

Comment

The problem is games. Can anyone tell me 3 exclusive title franchises that MS are going to carry over to the XsX that can compete with Sony. Don't say Halo, Forza and Gears.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                        Don't say Halo, Forza and Gears.
                        Hellblade 2
                        The Outer Worlds II
                        Sea of Thieves II

Overlooking silly lists and the simple fact that since PS2 SONY has the best in-House studio structure of the lot.
                        I just hope its back to the OG Xbox days when games on the Xbox just looked so much better and MS is able to push out the odd gem

Comment

Hellblade 1 was barely a game though and sea of thieves was boring as hell. Like saying ps5 will have knack 3.

Comes down to the games as always and obviously folk are different. I don’t play a lot of modern games but the ones I like are on Sony and I enjoy vr so if I buy anything at all it’ll be a Sony. I have a xbone x and rdr2 looks incredible on it but the only other game I sunk time into was state of decay 2. Lovely machine though, so compact and heavy. Feels quality.

Comment

In theory, if stuff comes out at a steady pace once XSX hits the market (because they should be ashamed of the XBO line up this last 3 years) MS look to have made enough aquisitions to have at least sorted out the frequency of firts party releases for the system which will be good for Game Pass in the long term. The quality is an issue and I imagine we'll see several of those acquired studios get sidelined as they fail to meet the bar and others shored up as they step up to the plate. It'll take generations for MS to get the quality of their ips up to scratch thanks to the awful way they managed them in the latter 360/XBO days.

The other thing they need to do, if they are going to insist on having all XSX games for the foreseeable future run on XBO platforms, is to start crashing the prices of Xbox One S and Xbox One X. It'll help boost software sales, Xbox Live and Game Pass subscriptions and keep some momentum as they lead up to Xbox Series X launching. We're 7 or 8 months from release and an XOX is still technically knocking around £350 at most places which is just stupid. Neither Sony or Microsoft should have a premium priced current generation console in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              MS needs to start showing off that advantage soon. In so many area's they seem ahead not just on GFX tech, but with full BC and now machine learning HDR for older titles.

Maybe The PS5 will have a killer joypad mind
                              Thing is, MS can’t. Theres not a single seriesX exclusive to show the console off.

Personally if id recently bought a OneX id be very happy with that purchase as you've got a decent console there (power wise) with all the new games being supported on it as well. Thats a win if you like your MS ecosystem.

Comment

I'm actually not having a pop at MS but are Hellblade and sea of thieves console sellers? Can sea of thieves compete with God Of War?
                                OK MS might show some new games we don't know, but it's a punt and they don't have a great track record of exclusive games (crackdown 3 for example).

Comment

Working...
                                X