Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Series X isn't tied to the previous gen . Don't think MS is going to all the trouble of having of Ray Tracing, Variable Rate Shading, Direct Machine Learning, Mesh Shading, custom Nvme SSD only for it's games to look and play hardly any better than if on the One S.
    'Microsoft has said it won't release any exclusive Xbox Series X games at launch from its roster of first-party studios - with big hitters such as Halo Infinite also releasing on Xbox One and PC.

"As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices," Xbox Game Studios boss Matt Booty explained to MCV.'

Believe it!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
      What exactly has microsoft said about the no games exclusively for series X for 18 months? Surely that would just apply to Microsoft published games?
      It came from here. Certainly just talking about first-party content although most third-party developers are bound to be cross-generation for a while as they won't want to miss out on that user base, particularly for Live Services.

“As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices,” Booty explains. “We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we’re committed to them with content.”
      EDIT: too slow - where's the DeLorean.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
        'Microsoft has said it won't release any exclusive Xbox Series X games at launch from its roster of first-party studios - with big hitters such as Halo Infinite also releasing on Xbox One and PC.

"As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices," Xbox Game Studios boss Matt Booty explained to MCV.'

Believe it!
        Like the PC. Are major AAA PC games held back by making games for crappy underspec PC's?

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          Like the PC. Are major AAA PC games held back by making games for crappy underspec PC's?
          They are held back by crappy under spec consoles instead.
          I give up. Between this, and comments about nuking China I'm going to treat you as a troll.

Comment

Exactly, MS games will scale their gloss over each generation of machine whereas the PS5 exclusives will use the systems specs out the gate. Forza 8 will have to run keeping the specs of the XBO in mind, whilst it'll look a lot better on XSX it'll be heavily held back on what it could be. MS has basically taken the view of games scaling like on PC but that works because theyre designed for outdated consoles. In essence it will be like Sony running games on an RTX2080 designed specifically for an RTX2080 whereas MS plan to run games on an RTX2080ti designed to run on a GTX660. They'll look a damned sight better on the ti but it won't be as good as the one made specifically for current tech

Comment

Even though the line up will scale up and down the family that isn't really a negative as a whole. We all know the series X will look by far the best and possibly contain features not possible on the current platforms.

I've seen mention of for instance the Shadow of Mordor games with its AI nemesis system where that wasn't possible on earlier consoles so they shipped the same game albeit a bit nerfed for the lower spec. I think it'll be similar here, yes there'll be a version for the Xbox S/X but it'll shine on the Series X.

Plus I don't think it'll hold the Series X back either in terms of development. It'll be curious to see how developers approach it but even now between the One X and earlier hardware they scale it. This isn't a new problem.

Then we're all missing the obvious consumer benefit. Despite MS not caring where it gets your sale on games the extra bonus is community. If a game like Halo Infinite launched only on the series X the user base might be tiny, particularly if there's a scarcity of hardware in the current market situation.

Having it on Xbox One as well means we have a good chance the player counts will be great, throw in game pass and it should thrive... As long as it's good of course!!

As for speed versus brute force (great game btw)... And which console is better... Who the heck knows for sure. We've seen nothing yet on which to base anything accurate either way so let's chill and enjoy the fact both these consoles are sounding great. I'd love to see what first parties squeeze out of line both and push the medium forward a few more notches.

Let's also cross fingers for both camps offering up cross play for 3rd party games as well so we don't have to whine about that for another generation as well!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                They are held back by crappy under spec consoles instead.
                I give up. Between this, and comments about nuking China I'm going to treat you as a troll.
                One wasn't serious about China. But you going to make out that MS are going to all the trouble of making a 12 Teraflop GPU, a totally different design concept for form factor bid the console, in order to cool the system. All that, only for it to being totally hamstrung, by games that are developed for a base Xbox One; Are you really being serious?

You really think MS has done to all this trouble for games that will quite happily run and play exactly the same on the One S, to the Series X even going into 2022?
                Last edited by Team Andromeda; 11-04-2020, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                  If a game like Halo Infinite launched only on the series X the user base might be tiny, particularly if there's a scarcity of hardware in the current market situation.
                  I don't think Halo Infinite is able to take too much advantage of the Series X. Its been in development for nearly 5 years and in the pre-production most of the desgin goals would have been desgined for at best, the One X. I would imagine the same is true for Forza 8 and maybe even the new Fable. So its quite a easy promise for MS to keep going into the 1st year and then I see it being dropped.

Shenmue looked pretty much the same game on the DC as the Saturn, just the scale of NCP's was taken to the next level, Kameo was pretty much the same game as the XBox game, just much bigger battles. I would imagine that's what we seen for the 1st year for MS In-House games. Just the gfx and scale taken up a few levels. While the sequel to Halo Infintie or Forza 9 will be doing stuff that not have a chance in hell of running on the One S

Comment

New console generations and new PC GPUs are all about better presentation. Have we seen any genuinely new gaming concepts this generation that wouldn’t have been possible on the 360 or PS3? VR is the biggest change in gaming for a long time but no platform holder is going all in on that.
                    Also we need more time for ray tracing GPUs to be widely adopted so rendering engines can be designed from the ground up for them.
                    Publishers won’t want to abandon 150 million potential last gen owning customers and risk a couple of years of development costs on the new systems and their small install base.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      New console generations and new PC GPUs are all about better presentation. Have we seen any genuinely new gaming concepts this generation that wouldn’t have been possible on the 360 or PS3? VR is the biggest change in gaming for a long time but no platform holder is going all in on that.
                      Also we need more time for ray tracing GPUs to be widely adopted so rendering engines can be designed from the ground up for them.
                      Publishers won’t want to abandon 150 million potential last gen owning customers and risk a couple of years of development costs on the new systems and their small install base.
                      VR isn't that new either when one thinks about it. There haven't been many new gaming concepts since the move to the 32bit gen and 3D (well maybe one should include the DS). Just the scale and scope goes up with each new gen. I would like to see interactivity and dynamic environments play much more of a role next-gen. I love the Division and its sequel, but it's disappointing how little the of its surrounding environment, is totally unaffected by players actions, gunfire and explosions, same for the COD games.

I also hope even more work is put into HDR in games next gen too. Its been one of the better parts of this gen, when a game does HDR right. Still amazed at how good the likes of Forza 4, GT Sport, Star Wars Battlefield II look in HDR.

I'm trying to tell her we need a new TV, be interested to see what VRR is really like for games

Comment

No next gen version patch this year

Comment

Presumably the virus is affecting optimisation and that's why, still, makes the PC version the go to all the more now.

Comment

Wonder if that will be a tactic this year for cross-generation titles if delays become bad. Get the current gen version (inc. PC) shipped and then post-release XSX/PS5 versions.

Comment

Microsoft's official Xbox Series X logo has popped up as part of a new trademark filing. The company registered the nex…

The Series X logo has been discovered

Comment

Not very fun looking :-( (Not saying any recent logos have been, just miss the Dreamcast logo as an example).

Comment

Working...
                                X