No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, seems like the rod is twitching, i leave it until it hooks itself.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      Hmmm, seems like the rod is twitching, i leave it until it hooks itself.
      I think you have all the bait mate. Since you're in a thread about a Platform you've no interesting in owning

Still, be nice to see the 3rd party games looking their best on the console next week, before we see them downgraded to run on the PS5, when SONY solves its cooling issues and is able to show off it's system

Comment

I may be being slightly naïve here but I don't see how graphics can get a huge load better than they are now. If you look at, for example, the detail in animation on TLOU2 or the vehicle detail on FH4 it's already stupidly good.

Unless, again, we're going to be told about increasing development costs and seeing another load of mid-sized developers go under unless they are swallowed up by the format holders.

I think the two big things for next-gen are going to be ray tracing to improve lighting and faster loading of content. I don't see 4k60 being achieved by everybody and I think the release schedules for both machines are going to be driven by cross-gen titles for the first 18 months. Publishers aren't going to want to lose multi-millions of sales just so they can have their game running on the more powerful machines.

Even as a huge PlayStation fan, unless they announce a new Uncharted as a PS5 launch game and guarantee concrete back catalogue operation I don't see me buying one straight away!

Have Microsoft mandated that a copy of "game X" must scale across all machines in the Xbox family or is it down to individual companies as to whether they want to do and Xbox One version and then a Series X version?

Also, they need to sort the names out - it's going to get messy.

Comment

I think this forthcoming generation is going to take a while to reveal what it’s really capable of. Few companies with have the resources to create all the artwork and it would be bold to make a ray tracing engine from scratch that can’t be used on PCs and console that don’t support RT.

Procedural generation of assets will ease the artists load and can look seriously impressive. Turn 10 have shown off examples of this and it’s very convincing. Also ML could be applied in other areas like upscaling art to save on space for assets. Again Turn 10 have demonstrated this technique. I’m also hoping the support for lower precision operations MS have built into their APU allows for nVidia DLSS style rendering. That could allow for huge efficiency gains.
          There is a lot of interesting new tech in the new systems that should help enable superior visuals like mesh shaders, VRS, sampler feedback streaming which will all allow for more efficient use of the systems and reduce bottlenecks. Which seems to have been both MS and Sony’s objectives. 3D audio will hopefully become the default too.
          The big things for me though is hopefully something MS will go into more detail about next week and that is the dynamic latency input technology. This seems like it could be a big improvement and bring us back to old school responsiveness. Coupled with higher frame rates this could make a huge difference. I’m surprised that the gaming press / forum warriors aren’t more hyped for this.

Comment

Sooooo there’s a possibility Forza 8 won’t be making it this year.
            MS has shifted some of Turn 10 onto Halo Infinite duty to help finish it off because that game seemingly has had some problems, also that’s what happens when you need it to launch with your new console. Doesn’t mean we won’t see Forza 8 footage possibly just that they are working with a reduced team currently.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
              I think this forthcoming generation is going to take a while to reveal what it’s really capable of.
              That's true of any console. I think on Day One we will see a massive difference and massive step up. The base console tech is 7 years old, that alone will mean we'll see huge jumps, almost from the start. Given, most of the booked holidays are gone I'm hoping to try and be allowed to get a new TV with HDMI 2.1 ready for VRR

Hopefully too, all games will supporting HDR next-gen and MS machine learning, will add in HDR for XBox games that didn't natively have it, this gen.

Comment

We're going to see a solid jump up in two areas:
                1-Third party games where they can go in much heavier with effects and textures etc from day one in a way that only first party games on XBX/Pro have been able to

2-PS5 first party games where the system will be better utlised to showcase its power

The idea of Forza 8 not making this year is one I'm fine with, it's a series that needs as long a break and as much of a progression as is possible and could possibly do with shifting to March/April time anyway to give Xbox something to stagger the droughts with better.
                There's no reality though where Series X becomes the lead console for third party game development. Devs will be spending the bulk of their money, time and resources on the biggest market to ensure they don't get battered by the competition and that isn't Xbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  That's true of any console. I think on Day One we will see a massive difference and massive step up. The base console tech is 7 years old, that alone will mean we'll see huge jumps, almost from the start. Given, most of the booked holidays are gone I'm hoping to try and be allowed to get a new TV with HDMI 2.1 ready for VRR

Hopefully too, all games will supporting HDR next-gen and MS machine learning, will add in HDR for XBox games that didn't natively have it, this gen.
                  I think typical early cross generation games won’t look massively different but will add in a few improvements such as higher frame rates and a wee bit of shiny shine but it will take a while before the new systems are established enough to ignore the older console install base.
                  The HDR support on XsX is a fantastic idea which I can’t wait to see in action. Hopefully developers don’t just use it as a fallback rather than build new games from the ground up.

And I think I you’re right TA time for a new TV to support all this new console goodness. ALLM, VRR (G-Sync & Free Sync), HGiG and BFI on this years LG OLEDs will be a great companion for XsX and PS5.

Comment

And I think I you’re right TA time for a new TV to support all this new console goodness. ALLM, VRR (G-Sync & Free Sync), HGiG and BFI on this years LG OLEDs will be a great companion for XsX and PS5.
                    What TV in your opinion is the best LG TV (55') to get with HDMI 2.1 ? Any ones you looking at Craig, I tend to trust your views, more than reviews on the web LOL

Comment

I think typical early cross generation games won’t look massively different but will add in a few improvements such as higher frame rates and a wee bit of shiny shine but it will take a while before the new systems are established enough to ignore the older console install base.
                      The HDR support on XsX is a fantastic idea which I can’t wait to see in action. Hopefully developers don’t just use it as a fallback rather than build new games from the ground up.

Are the next consoles going have freesync built in? Given their both running full amd chipsets i would of thought this would be standard, but is it? will it be? Seen nothing from either manufacturer to suggest its part of the architecture.

Comment

What TV in your opinion is the best LG TV (55') to get with HDMI 2.1 ? Any ones you looking at Craig, I tend to trust your views, more than reviews on the web LOL
                        I've just bought an LG C9 55" OLED which has HDMI 2.1, VRR and Nvidia G-Sync.

Pissed on my 3 year old Sony LCD from a great height.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                          I've just bought an LG C9 55" OLED which has HDMI 2.1, VRR and Nvidia G-Sync.

Pissed on my 3 year old Sony LCD from a great height.
                          I have a LG OLED55B7V. I know support isn't great at the mo, but can you see an improvement with VRR on the One X at all ?

Comment

[MENTION=3542]Team Andromeda[/MENTION] if I'm honest, no.

I think I need to go and hunt for games with really bad tearing to see how they look.

Any recommendations of games with poor tearing?

Comment

teddymeow mentioned the C9 and I think that’s a very good option. Has most of the stuff that’s in this years LG sets but will be cheap as stocks are cleared. They even added the HGiG support via a firmware update. I’m going to hang on to the back end of the year. Got to move house first but hopefully once I get a new place I’ll be able to wall mount a TV so the LG GX is top of my list at present.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                                Are the next consoles going have freesync built in? Given their both running full amd chipsets i would have thought this would be standard, but is it? will it be? Seen nothing from either manufacturer to suggest its part of the architecture.
                                I don’t know about the PS5 but it’s already supported on Xbox. I’d imagine both systems will use FreeSync though. Although I’d prefer it if we got smooth locked 60fps all of the time so we don’t need to fall back on variable refresh rate technologies.

Comment

Working...
                                X