Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We should all enjoy GTA6

We might be dead by the time GTA7 comes out

For me, the frustration has long been that they put way, way too much into protecting GTAV. As much as I loved the game I have a really hard time believing that whether GTA6 is good or not, it will be at a level that justifies the long wait. Personally, they became complacent knowing that GTA could be sold in such quantities for next to no cost. It reeks, absolutely reeks of cold tactics that RDR2 is a game that has sold over 50m copies but they pulled support from it. The bar has been raised so high because of a single cash cow and I'm going to say the really controversial part now... GTA Onlines updates over the last 10 years do not reflect the period of time people have been playing it. Users have been all too happy to milk the game to a husk and I suspect it's simply because a sequel never came and nor did any other company attempt to make a rival to it.

There are loads of ways of approaching the situation for Take Two to profit from the franchise but the one they've gone for feels entirely based around protecting one title. They've crown fat bellied and their recent loud talk about a slew of titles coming feels less like they've listened and more like they've panicked because they've raided the fridge for so long that they've suddenly realised its running empty and they hadn't ordered anything in.

It's been an amazing success story for a single game over a disgusting proportion of my entire lifespan but Take Two better pray to god that they do have hits coming up because if GTA6 in any way disappoints, or the attention needle of gamers ever get caught by something else then their empire of cards could collapse fast. Nintendo has sold a ridiculous number of MK8 copies, they haven't relied on it though.

Comment

I've enjoyed the GTA single player experience but I've honestly found the multiplayer to be woeful and just a grief fest.

I'll buy this like everyone else but really I'd love to see them not just do the same crap with this that they've done with GTA online.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
        I've enjoyed the GTA single player experience but I've honestly found the multiplayer to be woeful and just a grief fest.

I'll buy this like everyone else but really I'd love to see them not just do the same crap with this that they've done with GTA online.
        Oh Jesus, if you aren't playing online with just friends it's a terrible experience. You don't last 5 minutes.

Comment

Rockstar should just make GTA Online as a dedicated title that can be handed off to a B-Team freeing them up to focus on SP entries.
          It speaks volumes that Take Two makes money hand over fist but are largely irrelevant to discussions because they offer nothing else anymore. WTF is Bioshock etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
            Oh Jesus, if you aren't playing online with just friends it's a terrible experience. You don't last 5 minutes.
            Well that's just it... I've played a few hours of it in custom games doing the heists and some random fun game modes with a few friends but the whole online experience and it's money-grab structure just feels like it's purpose built to be the very worst environment for a community.

It's bloody toxic basically.

Comment

I can see how it would be fun with mates you know for a good while. Not 10 years of fun though

Comment

Back when it first came out I played online with a few guys from work and it remains today one the most insane and hilarious gaming experiences I've ever had.
                Trying to out run the cops in an ice cream van while a 747 nosedived into the streets ahead will forever be burned in my memory.

Comment

I think the funniest session I had on it was a mode where you had one team on bikes and other in semi-trucks that had to mow you down Terminator 2 style.

Fun, but in a popcorn way. I've just found that GTA as a compendium is a jack of all trades, master of none... like they add racing, but it's not as good as Forza Horizon, they add a first person mode but it's not as good as Call of Duty... add, repeat.

I'd rather go and play those games that have been refined in their art.

Comment

I enjoyed the stunt stuff, like with mid-air obstacle courses etc. It all grew old very quick though

Comment

I think a lot of us are too old to get it. It's like how there are almost no players of Fortnite on here (myself included). I suspect GTA has persisted in no small part because for a lot of kids it's been a hang out game with friends.

Its ubiquity and the relative amount of gameplay variety it offers are assets for this purpose, even if the quality of its individual elements fall short of games like Forza or CoD.
                      Last edited by wakka; 19-05-2023, 07:58.

Comment

There's nothing more depressing that watching my kids on Youtube. It's not even a 'back in my day' old person mentality, kids these days genuinely enjoy stuff that is utter ****

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            Rockstar should just make GTA Online as a dedicated title that can be handed off to a B-Team freeing them up to focus on SP entries.
                            They don't do that because they're worried if they do, the comparison of revenue between them will basically kill the single-player component. Like it'll do for GTA what Battlefront did for Star Wars; make something so successful that stakeholders demand you drop everything else.

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            180m copies worth though? I don’t know how it’s done it,
                            It has been suggested that GTAV is the most successful entertainment product ever.

It's made money comparable to World of Warcraft, the MCU and Pokemon. It's way further down the list than those franchises, but it can stand in the same chart - and the kicker is that Pokemon's success is split over tons of different products. There's no GTAV movie, no GTAV card game, very little merchandise. It's made those numbers and it's "just" a videogame.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              It's not even a 'back in my day' old person mentality, kids these days genuinely enjoy stuff that is utter ****
                              Dude, literally every generation throughout human history has said this. Socrates and Horace said it two thousand years ago

If anything, kids today have access to way more cool stuff than we did. Teenagers can hang out in 3D worlds together, racing cars or shooting each other or just chatting. I'm a little younger than some on here but the height of social technology sophistication in my teen years was was accessing MSN Messenger via a desktop PC. If we had been able to leap into GTA Online instead, you bet we would've done it.
                              Last edited by wakka; 19-05-2023, 09:56.

Comment

They have access but if I keep seeing 30yr Youtubers pretending to be 16yr reacting to Garten of Banban, Poppy's Playtime, Roblox etc anymore I'll crack

Comment

Working...
                                X