Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At that price it'll sell well. I think it'll pinch quite a few players from PlayStation. Maybe young teenagers who just want to play fortnite and such with their mates

Comment

You can drop any SSD you want into the current One X/S provided you stick within the size limits they've used on the original drives.

Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        As someone who isn’t paying too much attention to the upcoming Microsoft console, I can tell you that it’s laughably confusing as to what the **** the model range structure is for their range. Utterly ridiculous, and I would imagine the buying public (parents) this coming Christmas will feel the same and pass. Right now I have zero interest in a PS5 either, but at least I know it’s the next gen.
        To be fair to them it has been cleared up quite well with this reveal.

The Xbox Series will, ever so slightly, outpace the PS5. That's both the S and the X. The only difference between the two (other than the huge pricing gulf) being the smaller one not having a disc drive and 'only' running at 1440p with a 2160p upscale as opposed to 2160p native.

The choice is simple - Do you absolutely require native 4K? Get the X. Not arsed about that? Get the S.

I've gone from "lolMS" to actually wanting one in a big way. I was in the market for a new controller for my PC anyway, so it makes sense to get the Series S for the one that's included. I can finally throw out my aged and semi-busted X360 while housing all of my XBLA games which will upscale nicely. 512GB is more than plenty for me. I only need the space for one or two big games at a time as I can quickly delete and redownload anything massive within minutes.

I also seriously doubt the Series X will one day begin to crush the Series S when it comes to performance and optimisation. The only way that can happen is if they go back on their word and start rendering Series X games at 1080p/1440p to keep frame rates locked at 60fps. We'd then likely see Series S performance drop to 30fps. Not likely to happen due to the backlash, unless we're talking five years from now, I guess - but even with that in mind who's going to be happy with their Series X outputting 1080p?

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
          It's ugly, but a next-generation console for £249 is ballsy.
          I think it would look so much better if that grille wasn't black... I mean, why? Make it a textured finish in the same colour perhaps but black just looks wrong...

Comment

I'm tempted to get one on all access just to stick in my study as a second machine.

I've only got a 1440p monitor in there. I don't need a disc drive as I'm all digital. The two years more of game pass ultimate means all access for £20 is worth it.

Definitely thinking about it, but I want to hear more about how capable it actually is at 1440p.

Comment

As usual, I have nothing of value to add to the thread, but all this talk of S and X models has put this song on a loop in my head and I believe I shouldn't suffer alone.

I got the hots for you.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                I think it would look so much better if that grille wasn't black... I mean, why? Make it a textured finish in the same colour perhaps but black just looks wrong...
                Because they're making a distinct design that makes it very easy for Nan Doris (not the same person as Mam Doris) going into GAME and being able to get the cheap one with the big black circle on the front for £20 a month because Mam Doris has to buy cornflakes (Tesco own brand) so can't afford it. She doesn't know what it's called xbag, xbin or something, but it has a big electric hob on the front of it.

Comment

Definitely thinking about it, but I want to hear more about how capable it actually is at 1440p.
                  On paper it should be slightly more capable at 1440p than the Series X at 2160p (4K). That's what has me interested the most.

The difference between native 4K and a 1440p upscale when sat three meters from a 55" TV is super-negligible.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

The difference between native 4K and a 1440p upscale when sat three meters from a 55" TV is super-negligible.
                    I suppose it depends on the quality of the upscale. I use a 4k monitor (27”) and can spot a 1440p upscale easily.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                      I suppose it depends on the quality of the upscale. I use a 4k monitor (27”) and can spot a 1440p upscale easily.
                      Same, and same. But that's when I'm at my PC desk.

If I moved my monitor to the TV unit downstairs and sat on my sofa I wouldn't be able to tell any difference.
                      Last edited by dataDave; 09-09-2020, 08:50.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                        On paper it should be slightly more capable at 1440p than the Series X at 2160p (4K). That's what has me interested the most.

It's a 1440p monitor I use for work basically. It supports freesync though and I've used the One X now and again on it and that works great...

So really I'm expecting similar performance from a Series S at 1440p but with the extra benefit of being smaller, faster loading, swapping etc... and future proofed.

I'm potentially looking at trading in the One X against a PS5 digital but for the price of an All Access Series S that comes with 2 years game pass it's a potential nice addition to the study (other two consoles in the lounge for 4K gaming).

Triple dip on next gen consoles though... Need to run the numbers £££ to make sure it works out.

Comment

99% of people would never tell the difference between 1440p & 4k on a blind test, on a tv and sofa set up.

Comment

I'm potentially looking at trading in the One X against a PS5 digital but for the price of an All Access Series S that comes with 2 years game pass it's a potential nice addition to the study (other two consoles in the lounge for 4K gaming)
                            Game Pass Ultimate, so it includes Xbox Live Gold, Game Pass Xbox and Game Pass PC and the console. On its own it's £10.99 a month (so £263.76), so £20 a month for the package at £480 works out about £30 cheaper.

It's only 66 pence a day !!!1111!!!!one!

Comment

The images of the Series S in the vertical orientation showing the black vent look a bit odd. If you look at the Xbox logo power it’s clearly meant to be lying on the long side with the vent on top much like the old One S
                              Also I was thinking given the PS4 user base the PS5 will likely be the lead platform for development this generation. If games target 4k on a 10TF console and 1080p on the Series S that’s a 25% of the workload with 40% of the power. Should be fine through the length of the generation.

Comment

I agree with the people saying this has the potential to be a popular choice for kids getting their first console - whether they're buying it (teenagers) or their parents. Even if the one they really want is the PS5. The price gulf between this and even the discless PS5 is going to be absolutely massive.

Comment

Working...
                                X