Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
    Like you're not expected to buy three or four revisions/replacements anyway. Anyone still chugging away on their original launch PS4?
    My launch PS4 was a beast. It died after a power cut and then came back to life a few days later. I cleaned it up and used it for about 2 more years, then sold it on. Its the only console that's lasted me the whole generation.
    Ps1 died
    Ps2 died
    PS3 died (slim model is still going)
    360 died (X2)

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
      Do you think they'd have done it if it was going to cause future issues? The system would be stress tested to buggery before being approved.
      Depends on whether the costs outweigh the savings.

Comment

ARS going the other way on this heatsink change, maybe the increase in exhaust temp is down to the new heatsink pulling more heat from the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          My launch PS4 was a beast. It died after a power cut and then came back to life a few days later. I cleaned it up and used it for about 2 more years, then sold it on. Its the only non-Nintendo console that's lasted me the whole generation.
          Ps1 died
          Ps2 died
          PS3 died (slim model is still going)
          360 died (X2)
          Fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
            Fixed that for you.
            True. My DS lite still works, my Wii lasted until I sold it. Even my Dreamcast lasted years. I still have my Megadrive I got as a kid in working order.

Comment

My original PS4 is still going strong. What’s that been, 7 or 8 years? Sounds like a plane taking off at times but still runs perfectly. My PS3 slim is the longest I’ve ever owned a console, still perfect after something like 12 years.

Comment

Same. Still have my original launch PS4. It can really make a noise, mind. Oh actually, I thought it was about to die last year, but turned out it was the HDD. So replaced it.

Comment

My launch PS4 only got unplugged when it replaced it with a PS5.
                  Now it's going to school to play some Rocket League on at lunch time. If I can get some controllers.

Comment

The only console to die on me was my launch PS3 (YLOD).
                    My PS3 super slim & Launch PS4 still fine, although PS4 was loud for the last year I used it for some games.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                      ARS going the other way on this heatsink change, maybe the increase in exhaust temp is down to the new heatsink pulling more heat from the board.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/...tter-heatsink/
                      I think I have to disagree with that one but it's an interesting take on it. That heatsink is near half the size, with less fins etc... Going off similar PC components I would be very surprised if it's more efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                        My original PS4 is still going strong. What’s that been, 7 or 8 years? Sounds like a plane taking off at times but still runs perfectly. My PS3 slim is the longest I’ve ever owned a console, still perfect after something like 12 years.
                        And then as if by magic, the disc drive in my PS4 has given in today.

Comment

Ah the curse, its strikes again.

Comment

The real ****er is I’m not buying another PS4 at this point and I can’t buy a PS5.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                              I think I have to disagree with that one but it's an interesting take on it. That heatsink is near half the size, with less fins etc... Going off similar PC components I would be very surprised if it's more efficient.
                              The only counter to that is that the new model also has a new fan with more blades. This fan might be better at expelling air.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                                The only counter to that is that the new model also has a new fan with more blades. This fan might be better at expelling air.
                                Yeah maybe. I think even if it does run a few degrees hotter and performs the same that might be within thresholds and no-one would notice unless side by side but I do worry about anything that is generally hotter long term as dust and placement etc will impact it over time.

It's almost impossible to tell right now and it is what it is...

Comment

Working...
                                X