No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonys approach means you get high read speeds. Yeah it's more awkward, but as I said before, how often are you going to be adding and removing storage.
    MS is plug and play, but once plugged are you going to be unplugging it? It doesn't really lend itself to being like memory cards.

Comment

Noticed a few features not documented in the firmware update notes. The trophy list is now is list format and not card format, much better. You can also remove the screenshot notification in the settings too!

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
        I think re-rolling the same OS has worked in MS’s favour in this instance as all they had to do was tac on SeriesX to the current OS, rather than the complete re-do that Sony did, hence why loads of features were missing from the software at launch.
        Yeah this definitely helped them and to be honest I think it was the right decision. It is much faster on Series consoles and they're now testing it in 4K in the alpha ring... basically everything just worked day one. That said they also nailed smart delivery and upgrades etc... that whole thing just looks like a mess on PS5.

Both companies had different priorities which is fair but I think Sony now need to keep momentum where UI / Features is concerned and just keep the updates coming quicker.

The only major thing I think MS could do that needs an overhaul is the video editing suite and the achievements guide / tracking. I like the integration of the guide/tips with trophies on PS5... over on Xbox the best you can do is install the True Achievements app which allows you to drill-through any achievement and see if anyone in the public forums added any useful guides to complete it. It works, but its rough.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
          Yeah this definitely helped them and to be honest I think it was the right decision. It is much faster on Series consoles and they're now testing it in 4K in the alpha ring... basically everything just worked day one. That said they also nailed smart delivery and upgrades etc... that whole thing just looks like a mess on PS5.
          It's still far from perfect, but I suspect my setup with 10TB of storage 90% full is probably an edge case. It needs more local caching and relies far too heavily on accessing the internet (which slows everything down once the numbers start growing).

For most users it's probably fine, but for the power users the OS still crawls at times (looking for app updates is particularly bad).

Comment

Honestly I think the two issues likely break down as such:

Storage - Sony's system is less elegant and slower to unroll because they know that 99% of owners will never use it. It's a low priority for them when most will just uninstall unplayed games to create room. By the time it's a real concern they'll be shilling higher storage SKU's.

UI - I suspect it's partially on purpose that it's missing features. A new UI gives the new system a better first impression even if it's missing features and they can slow roll things out over time. Features from PS4 might be drip fed over years but every time a new update rolls out adding another one back in it boosts the PS5 right back up the news feeds compared to Xbox that has it all up front carried over in the same UI but barely makes the newsfeeds by comparison. Missing features isn't affecting sales so the PR element is an easy gain.

Comment

You running 9gig (roughly) of games on console Marty, off the external drive i mean? My mate is running 7 odd gig now and hadn’t reported the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                Honestly I think the two issues likely break down as such:

Storage - Sony's system is less elegant and slower to unroll because they know that 99% of owners will never use it. It's a low priority for them when most will just uninstall unplayed games to create room. By the time it's a real concern they'll be shilling higher storage SKU's.
                Ive never heard anyone call a propitiatory system that provides the consumer with spec that cost over double the market value an elegant system before, as someone who can plug a card into a bay i know which system id take.

Normally when company pull this kind of crap it gets called out for what it is market manipulation and anti consumer that was and is the case for sonys memory duo PSP fiasco that offered no benefits to the consumer over sd or micro sd.

Comment

That's why Sony likely did it, they have prior on the issue and know not enough people care to warrant the drive behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    It's still far from perfect, but I suspect my setup with 10TB of storage 90% full is probably an edge case. It needs more local caching and relies far too heavily on accessing the internet (which slows everything down once the numbers start growing).

For most users it's probably fine, but for the power users the OS still crawls at times (looking for app updates is particularly bad).
                    I've got a 8TB seagate drive attached to mine and I've had zero lag issues with it. The drive itself is pretty slow but the UI doesn't seem to have been slowed down at an recently.

It is currently half full though... Mostly because a lot of newer titles need to be stored on the internal and I've culled a lot of older games I wasn't playing.

Comment

You running 9gig (roughly) of games on console Marty, off the external drive i mean? My mate is running 7 odd gig now and hadn’t reported the same thing.
                      I have 2x4TB 2.5" externals, the 1TB internal and 1 TB expansion card - it may be one of those drives is a bit slow I suppose. I thought they were both 7200s, I'd have to check. The update screen will just sit there blank tho as if it's not doing anything for ages before it finally populates (talking minutes).

I used to have this on the One X too - but if you detached from the internet, it was lightning quick - I suspected it was checking the game meta on everything but it's not something I can point at to say for sure.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 17-09-2021, 11:34.

Comment

Ah ok. My mates just running an 8gig powered drive and has had zero issues with it roughly 7gig full, updates, ui, navigation. I suspect your issues are because of the amount of drives you have connected. It seems some consoles are ok with it and some don’t like it. PS5 seems the same, some people have zero issues with multiple drives some people nothing but issues.
                        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 17-09-2021, 12:18.

Comment

Ah ok. My mates just running an 8gig powered drive and has had zero issues with it roughly 7gig full, updates, ui, navigation. I suspect your issues are because of the amount of drives you have connected. It seems some consoles are ok with it and some don’t like it. PS5 seems the same, some people have zero issues with multiple drives some people nothing but issues.
                          8TB powered 3.5" drive here some maybe that is it. Mine is only 5200rpm and chugs a bit but the UI itself is pretty snappy even with 70-100 games listed in games & apps.

Comment

I have 608 listed.

Comment

Some info about GT7. I'm excited anyway.

Delivering the best with the return of classic cars, iconic tracks, and fan-favourite  modes like GT Simulation. 

Comment

I was really hoping Polyphony Digital would modernise how GT plays for this, then I saw a screen grab of the license screen on the link and my heart sank.

Maybe that's what die hard fans of the series are looking for still. IDK.

Comment

Working...
                                X