X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-UNDERSTAND, UNDERSTAND-
    -UNDERSTAND, UNDERSTAND-
    -UNDERSTAND, UNDERSTAND-
    -The Concept of Unique Interpretation...

Comment

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMITATION IS THE SINCEREST FORM OF FLATTERYLOVE LOVE LOVE YOU

Comment

Biggest reason I feel mindful about that game is probably because 'spiritual successor' games are ten a penny on PC and pretty much across the board they're rubbish. Hopefully this new game is decent but I was dossing around with JSRF just the other night and considering that game is knocking 20 years old (WHAT?!) the video already gave vibes of faded imitation.

As a side note, that the Indies showcase has become more notable than the Directs has really started to knock around in my head the idea of selling the Switch to fund a good chunk of the Deck. Still not sure but the content disparity on both Indie and key title fronts is starting to dig its claws in as I continue to ponder...

Comment

Surely there is a lawsuit pending on that JSR clone? The only thing they haven't copied is the name...

Comment

Yeah, every 'spiritual successor' I've tried has been a bit of a snore to be honest. They always end up feeling like a cover band version, even when it's by the original team.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
              Surely there is a lawsuit pending on that JSR clone? The only thing they haven't copied is the name...
              Same could be said for a lot of games trying to trade of nostaga for another nothing ever happens though as they rarely live up to the subject matter.

ocean horn/The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, ocean horn copy's zelda art style and game-play but can never live up to the lore and rich world that zelda has built.

Hotshot Racing/ ridge racer. looses what made the original special by adding massively over aggressive Ruberband AI that makes it pointless to even bother using your boost until the final lap.

Back 4 blood/ Left 4 dead. looses the spark and personality the original has, with missteps like forgetting that special enemy types had a instantly recognizable silouette and sound que, and a unique way to tackle them, and ignoring and leaving out fan fave modes to focus on a mini battle royal that everyone currently hates.

the list goes on, trading of nostalgia is a tricky thing to get right for every Shovel knight we get we have to suffer a Mighty number 9

Comment

What with this and last year's Crazy Taxi Homage/Spiritual successor/complete and utter rip-off, it seems to be open season for remaking classic Sega games without having to bother obtaining the licence.

Comment

I see Hideki Naganuma's taking a break from posting memes and flirting with concerningly young girls on twitter to compose for it! Don't meet your heroes, kids.

Comment

Originally posted by kellog7 View Post
                    What with this and last year's Crazy Taxi Homage/Spiritual successor/complete and utter rip-off, it seems to be open season for remaking classic Sega games without having to bother obtaining the licence.
                    I heard that was crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I heard that was crap.
                      Never even heard of taxi chaos thank god

if you loved Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast and you've ever thought, "Man, I wish somebody would just make this game again only without the soundtrack or the charm and without making any discernible improvements to the formula," then this game is going to be right up your alley.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                        Same could be said for a lot of games trying to trade of nostaga for another nothing ever happens though as they rarely live up to the subject matter.

ocean horn/The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, ocean horn copy's zelda art style and game-play but can never live up to the lore and rich world that zelda has built.

Hotshot Racing/ ridge racer. looses what made the original special by adding massively over aggressive Ruberband AI that makes it pointless to even bother using your boost until the final lap.

Back 4 blood/ Left 4 dead. looses the spark and personality the original has, with missteps like forgetting that special enemy types had a instantly recognizable silouette and sound que, and a unique way to tackle them, and ignoring and leaving out fan fave modes to focus on a mini battle royal that everyone currently hates.

the list goes on, trading of nostalgia is a tricky thing to get right for every Shovel knight we get we have to suffer a Mighty number 9
                        True to all of this but still it's pretty blatant isn't it. At least I feel stuff like HotShots Racing pays homage and isn't too much carbon copy and Back 4 Blood is a bit unfair as it's made by many of the same team.

Still, agree there are plenty of imitators out there but very few good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                          True to all of this but still it's pretty blatant isn't it. At least I feel stuff like HotShots Racing pays homage and isn't too much carbon copy and Back 4 Blood is a bit unfair as it's made by many of the same team.

Still, agree there are plenty of imitators out there but very few good ones.
                          With the two you've mentioned they arent carbon copies no but their massively trading of past glories, if your paying homage to games of the past you have to be super careful the experience isn't worse its a tricky tight rope to walk. Hotshots Failing to get decent Ai so you massively over do the rubber banding wasn't an issue for ridge racer. Back 4 blood is turtle rock so some of the team behind left 4 dead, but also the team behind the flop that was Evolution, they seem to have lost the valve magic with back 4 blood yeah its a team based 4 player shooter, but you need to build on and improve the formula or at least match what made the original special they havent. I'm not alone in thinking that they have dropped the ball after spending a bit of time with the beta. I bet reviews for back for blood are gonna be in the 7s and 8s its not a terrible game, but its not matching left 4 dead for the reason mentioned in my previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                            With the two you've mentioned they arent carbon copies no but their massively trading of past glories, if your paying homage to games of the past you have to be super careful the experience isn't worse its a tricky tight rope to walk.
                            Yeah, admittedly, I often feel like this. The VAST majority of indie games I've played which are SNES throwbacks seem to pale in comparison to actual games of that era. Freedom Planet stuck out though; that was one of the few titles where I felt if I'd played that in the 90s it would've been one of my favourite games.

Though that just reflects how difficult good platform adventure/run-n-gun games are to make. I mean that should be obvious, we compare these throwbacks to Megaman X and Rocket Knight Adventures but there were dozens of crap ones for every good one. Even the indie 2D fighters, some of them aren't amazing but I've yet to play one that compares to the genuinely bad Street Fighter ripoffs.

Comment

The first mistake is them thinking people want a homage when really they want a direct sequel. Shenmue 3 was an actual sequel and it borders on falling into the same trap, giving you an experience like the one you remember but not actually as good either because it's so conscious of emulating past efforts.

If you were to make a homage to say Megaman X, just make Megaman X9 then change the branding, characters etc. But the approach should be to deliver a worthy direct continuation of the experience. Instead we get watered down things etc. Also, don't attempt it if you feel you don't have the talent to nail the execution. A follow up to JSRF is a tall order to even contemplate.

Comment

I've quite enjoyed Back 4 Blood from my short time with it. It's shaping up to be decent.

Agree on HotShots Racing though. I got up to the higher difficulties and it just becomes a crap fest due to the AI.

Comment

Working...
                                X